• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly Fails In New Striker Bid

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers šŸ¤ ā­
According to todays Echo, Tilson failed in an attempt to sign a striker that would "guarentee 20 goals a season". He stated that he would have cost cash, which the board were prepared to pay but the Club didn't want to part with the striker.

Anybody got any ideas who the fella was? My first guess was that the Echo are just reproducing the story on the official website a few weeks ago about trying to sign Boylan but then I would have thought his name and/or club would have been mentioned. So any ideas?

I thought Boylan was in the summer, according to Tillys comments this happened earlier in the week or last week.

Any ideas who ?

Oxford refused Julian Alsop a transfer request this week
rock.gif
?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamesmut2000 @ Oct. 06 2004,19:39)]Doubt it would have been Boylan as he broke his ankle last night in the 4-1 win at Stevenage.
Ooooh, I'll bet that smarts! ouch...
ghostface.gif

I know what a badly sprained ankle is like! I did both of mine within 4 months of each other, both playing footie! I'm too old for all that sh*t now!
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jamesmut2000 @ Oct. 06 2004,20:39)]Doubt it would have been Boylan as he broke his ankle last night in the 4-1 win at Stevenage.
He has an ankle injury which will probably keep him out of Satursday's match, but it's far from broken.

Doubt it would have been Alsop - doesnt strike me as a 20-a-season man - he is more like Broughton...

Could be anyone - but you cannot GUARANTEE 20 goals a season, so I'm not that bothered! I'm sure Dudfield/Bramble will come good, Gray has got to get going yet and I have a feeling Eastwood may produce the goods for us.

I'd rather have another central midfielder as cover for Maher/Bentley. Its too negative to play Maher/Hunt at home and I doubt Corbetts going to be given a go. I see David Perputini has been released from Gillingham. He had quite a bit of potential at Watford, I'd certainly get him in on trial...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Oct. 07 2004,08:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Oct. 07 2004,08:31)]I'd rather have another central midfielder as cover for Maher/Bentley.
Jay Smith?

Shuffling the wings around you could always play Gower in a central position, which we've never tried but where he can play.
Yea, but he is injured! Which is my point... if we have one injured, one suspended, then we have no more natural midfielders left. I've always wanted to see Gower play in the middle alongside a defensive player (Maher) until Jay gets back, but it aint gonna happen!

I think Hunt is a decent central defender, but we are too negative with Hunt and Maher in the middle. Maybe as we are at home tomorrow, JC will get the nod, but I doubt it...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Oct. 07 2004,08:31)]Could be anyone - but you cannot GUARANTEE 20 goals a season, so I'm not that bothered!
As we all know, the last "20-goal a season striker" we signed was Graeme Jones... and we all know what a roaring success that was.

ghostface.gif

On the other hand, Leon Constantine poodles down to the seaside to play a few games, and ends up bagging 25 goals in less than a full season.

Go figure, as they say in the States. Sometimes, these things simply cannot be predicted.

rock.gif

Matt

I'll get shot down for this (or maybe even literally shot!) - but I'd have Constantine back on loan any time... *tin hat on*

The striker was Kev Talbot. Tilson has been monitering his progress in the Shrimperzone FC team for a few weeks now, and last week spoke to their manager. Rumour has it that the boss told Tilly he'd have to at least double the bid, believed to be in the region of 34 pence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Oct. 07 2004,11:36)]Rumour has it that the boss told Tilly he'd have to at least double the bif, believed to be in the region of 34 pence.
Well, sweets don't come cheap nowadays...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Oct. 07 2004,10:36)]The striker was Kev Talbot. Tilson has been monitering his progress in the Shrimperzone FC team for a few weeks now, and last week spoke to their manager. Rumour has it that the boss told Tilly he'd have to at least double the bif, believed to be in the region of 34 pence.
He offered 34p and we turned it down? Are we mad? We could buy a Mars bar to replace him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Oct. 07 2004,10:31)]I'll get shot down for this (or maybe even literally shot!) - but I'd have Constantine back on loan any time... *tin hat on*
Wherever you are, run to the nearest bathroom and chew on lots of those mini soaps!
tounge.gif

Back