• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly set to move up the charts...

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Graham Turner is stepping down as manager of Hereford at the end of the season, so Steve Tilson will move up to sixth on the league managers longevity list...

What a superb acheivement. Makes me proud to be a Shrimper, that. Who's in front? Ferguson, Wenger, Moyes and....?

I always thought Graham Turner's place on that list was a bit dubious as he's the majority shareholder of Hereford United so the only way he was ever going to go was if he stepped down.

Good on Tilly but it just goes to show what a fickle industry football management is

I'd bet that Coppell and Fergie will move on before Tilly, so he has a good shout of maybe making the Top 3

Daft, isn't it? The two most consistently successful clubs in England have managers who have been left unmolested and allowed to do their work. You'd think that it would work as some kind of template for success, but it never does.

United fans were campaigning at Carrington for Ferguson to be sacked in 2006, just before the start of his title-winning season. Arsenal fans were calling up in their droves for Wenger to be sacked this winter. Our mob seem to want rid of Tilson every time we draw.

Football fans are so stupid. Present company excepted, obviously.

Daft, isn't it? The two most consistently successful clubs in England have managers who have been left unmolested and allowed to do their work. You'd think that it would work as some kind of template for success, but it never does.

United fans were campaigning at Carrington for Ferguson to be sacked in 2006, just before the start of his title-winning season. Arsenal fans were calling up in their droves for Wenger to be sacked this winter. Our mob seem to want rid of Tilson every time we draw.

I think it comes down to a vocal minority. and Sky Sports/BBC love a good "sack the manager" campaign by the fans.

So true, Alex Ferguson took four years to win his first trophy (during which they only finished in the top five once and there were plenty of Man U fans calling for his head) and seven to win his first League Championship.

It makes you wonder how many managers of recent times could have achieved greatness had they been given the time but were sacked before they had the chance.

Unfortunately the manager takes the stick far too often these days. Sacking is usually a knee jerk reaction of a bad run of results and doesn't always solve the problem. Some clubs will never ever learn this though.

I am proud to support a club that prides itself on longevity of solid management. Everyone knows that Steve Tilson does the best that he possibly can with the resources he is given and his success over the past 5 years definately reflects that. I don't think many people could think of a better possible candidate for the job at the moment. Especially someone that would be interested in it for a start!

Roll on the next 5 years - fingers crossed we will see Tilly sitting in the dugout at Fossets in years to come.

It makes you wonder how many managers of recent times could have achieved greatness had they been given the time but were sacked before they had the chance.

I know who you're really talking about...

X7E5K7.jpg

Alvin Martin was never given the chance to fulfill his 10 year plan to win the Ryman League with Southend, a travesty really.

I reckon in a few yeras Moyes will be number one and Tilly will be number two.

It will be interesting to see whether Moyes is ever given the opportunity to manage 'one of the big boys'.... I can't see Chelsea employing anyone other than a big name foreigner whilst Abramovich is still there, It's hard to believe he would step across the city to Liverpool and surely Man U would want a bigger name entice the big stars. I could see him being liked by Arsenal as he is prudent and dedicated to the long term prospects of the club not just craving instant success.......

Last edited:
Tilson up to 6th

Graham Turner has resigned from Hereford meaning Tilly is now the 6th longest serving manager.

Only Ferguson (Man U), Wenger (Arsenal), Coleman (Accrington), Moyes (Everton) and Coppell (Reading) have been longer.

Good point. As an aside, when Fergie retires, it really will be interesting to see who the Glazer's/Utd board appoint. Moyes will be linked with it, as will O'Neil. The only other person I would suggest is Mourinho.

Good point. As an aside, when Fergie retires, it really will be interesting to see who the Glazer's/Utd board appoint. Moyes will be linked with it, as will O'Neil. The only other person I would suggest is Mourinho.

plus Lippi and Ancelotti I would guess

It will be interesting to see whether Moyes is ever given the opportunity to manage 'one of the big boys'........

Think he's a little busy with the Radio 1 breakfast show for the time being...

Sorry, but Scrounger made a crap joke, so I thought i would too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back