• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Tilson appointed Canvey Island Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of you don't fancy Saturday's friendly at Roots Hall, Tilly's first game is at the homlier surroundings of Bowers & Pitsea. I'm sure Wino will welcome you all with open arms and the programme is an absolute corker.

I may wander over to their first friendly at Park Lane secure in the knowledge that the burgers are superior to thos on offer at Roots Hall.:smile:

Good luck to him. I hope he gets them promoted and then gets a job higher up next season.

I may pop over there for a game to see how he gets on. Will mean going onto Canvey though.

I may wander over to their first friendly at Park Lane secure in the knowledge that the burgers are superior to thos on offer at Roots Hall.:smile:

Now that wouldnt be very hard to be honest Harry:smile:

Anyone who believes that Tilson was "lucky" is just deluded. Does anyone seriously think he was not deserving of the success he had here? It was HIS team of players brought together that achieved the successes....under his guidance and management.

I fall somewhere between the two opposing viewpoints, I don't consider him the legend that some do, and I do think he was capable of some poor decision making. I'd love to know who was actually responsible for the decision to freeze Foran out, because that single thing was probably one of the key factors in the downturn that followed. Whatever the reasons for doing it (and I'm not debating that "fact"), Foran was a classy player who I think would, and should, have helped us on the pitch in our Championship season, instead of which, he was demoted to the reserves, or sent out on loan, all the while we were paying his wages and falling from the Championship through to L2.

I will be forever grateful to Steve Tilson (and Paul Brush) for some very memorable and successful seasons, however, those successive relegations with us and then also with Lincoln have tarnished his CV to the extent that I reckon he'll be hard pushed to find a league side to take him on. He needs to "re-group" and start building a successful Conference side, otherwise he'll forever lose out to no marks like Martin Allen.

First off, ignore DWB as he is trolling.

Secondly of course Tilly had a lot of luck in those early years and if you don't think that you are the deluded one. That's not to say he wasn't a good manager, doesn't deserve credit and didn't do a good job but he had an awful lot of luck in his timing, the players he inherited and so on.

Third, it wasn't his team. Mark Gower was signed by Wignall, Kevin Maher was signed way back by Alvin Martin and it was those two who got us playing football. Wignall had assembled a decent side but was hampered by the fact that he kept picking an absolute ****ing clueless donkey up front which meant we couldn't score for love nor money and drained the confidence out of the side. Webb came in and dropped the donkey and all of a sudden we started scoring for fun. The donkey was then recalled and we stopped scoring but then dropped again next match and we started scoring again. Tilson came in and I think almost without signing a player (maybe one on loan) took us to the LDV final which gave the players self-belief - until of course he tried to start the next season with the donkey up front. Once he'd ditched the donkey for good we got promoted twice in a row.

I give every credit to Tilly for getting the best out of Eastwood (something no manager before or since has managed) and for signing a lot of good players, but it was Wignall who started the process of turning the club around, chucking out the deadwood. Tilly did a fantastic job of building upon that.

Finally, Foran has absolutely no class and was only ever a thug - albeit that's a quality we missed at that time.

Tilson came in and I think almost without signing a player (maybe one on loan) took us to the LDV final which gave the players self-belief -

He signed a couple that season. Lewis Hunt came in quite shortly after Tilly got the job and Lawrie Dudfield came in in the January. Dudfield was a major factor in our upturn, IMO. I know Constantine was scoring but Dudfield brought a bit of class up front and it showed. I still think Dudfield would have got 20 in the 04/05 season had we not brought in Freddy Eastwood.

He signed a couple that season. Lewis Hunt came in quite shortly after Tilly got the job and Lawrie Dudfield came in in the January. Dudfield was a major factor in our upturn, IMO. I know Constantine was scoring but Dudfield brought a bit of class up front and it showed. I still think Dudfield would have got 20 in the 04/05 season had we not brought in Freddy Eastwood.

I thought Hunt was actually a Webb loan signing.

As you obviously don't know me then you won't know that I am far from a troll (except in height). I have opinions that I will always stick to no matter how much grief I get.

I am a true and loyal Blues fan and always support the 11 on the pitch, as frustrating as it may get. I always support the manager but am obviously disappointed when we don't play well, lose games etc.

I do hope Tilly does well at Canvey but I wouldn't want him back here as a manager. That said, IF he did come back, I would support him.

I wouldn't, like certain people (Interpol), stay away because I had issues with the manager.

I was convinced that Lewis Hunt was Tilly's first signing but Soccerbase is telling me that he signed a couple of weeks before Wignall left.

Another Tilly signing that season was Carl Pettefer

As you obviously don't know me then you won't know that I am far from a troll (except in height). I have opinions that I will always stick to no matter how much grief I get.

I am a true and loyal Blues fan and always support the 11 on the pitch, as frustrating as it may get. I always support the manager but am obviously disappointed when we don't play well, lose games etc.

I do hope Tilly does well at Canvey but I wouldn't want him back here as a manager. That said, IF he did come back, I would support him.

I wouldn't, like certain people (Interpol), stay away because I had issues with the manager.

Whether you hold the opinion or not you definitely troll threads about Steve Tilson and have done for years. You wade into every thread on the subject and make a ridiculously over the top comment, like you did in this thread, knowing full-well that you'll get people to bite.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but on this subject you make sure that not only will everyone know yours but that you'll express it in a way which will annoy others. It's classic trolling.

I didn't say you were a troll, I said you were trolling.

Because you were.

Anyone who says Tilson isnt a legend is trolling or seriously misguided.

He is has achieved more than any other manager and if we cant class him as a legend we cant class anyone as one.

How can a manager get two promotions 3 wembley trips, a win against Man Utd not have all of our respect and gratitude?

Flawed yes, but a legend none the less.

Secondly of course Tilly had a lot of luck in those early years and if you don't think that you are the deluded one. That's not to say he wasn't a good manager, doesn't deserve credit and didn't do a good job but he had an awful lot of luck in his timing, the players he inherited and so on.

Third, it wasn't his team. Mark Gower was signed by Wignall, Kevin Maher was signed way back by Alvin Martin and it was those two who got us playing football. Wignall had assembled a decent side but was hampered by the fact that he kept picking an absolute ****ing clueless donkey up front which meant we couldn't score for love nor money and drained the confidence out of the side. Webb came in and dropped the donkey and all of a sudden we started scoring for fun. The donkey was then recalled and we stopped scoring but then dropped again next match and we started scoring again. Tilson came in and I think almost without signing a player (maybe one on loan) took us to the LDV final which gave the players self-belief - until of course he tried to start the next season with the donkey up front. Once he'd ditched the donkey for good we got promoted twice in a row.

I give every credit to Tilly for getting the best out of Eastwood (something no manager before or since has managed) and for signing a lot of good players, but it was Wignall who started the process of turning the club around, chucking out the deadwood. Tilly did a fantastic job of building upon that.

Finally, Foran has absolutely no class and was only ever a thug - albeit that's a quality we missed at that time.

........and let's not forget Super Carl Emberson in goal under Wignall....he had hands like dinner plates you know. Getting Flavs back to replace him was just as important, though I think that was probably before Wignall left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back