• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane today 40 years ago..Watford v Blues FA CUP...1978

Looking at the Watford line up, it shows what an achievement it was for us and vindication of how good our team was.

The Elton John/Graham Taylor Watford.

In 77/78 they were Div 4 champions and we were runners up 1-0 H and 1-1 A.

78/79 they were 2nd in Div 3 and we fell away to 13th. 1-1 and 1-0 in the cup and 1-0 and 0-2 in the league. They struggled to beat us -just once in 6 games.

In 81/82 they got promoted to Div 1 and finished runners up in 1982/83. 1983/84 they lost in the cup final.

Football was more fun in those days! Wouldn't happen now.

Was this the same season that the league game was on Match of the Day, or was that the season before?

Ignore that, it was the season before.

Ross Jenkins goal is on these highlights :-

So from tonight,the whole town was buzzing....
The best team in the world were coming to Roots Hall,what a relief that was when the ref blew for full time....now time(asp),to get tickets

Didn't Dennis Booth play for us as well?

Yep Dennis joined us towards the end of the 71/72 promotion season and left in 1973 when Graham Taylor took him to Lincoln. He followed Taylor to Watford and left in 1980. After he retired he was twice Brian Horton's assistant! Small world isn't it!

So from tonight,the whole town was buzzing....
The best team in the world were coming to Roots Hall,what a relief that was when the ref blew for full time....now time(asp),to get tickets

"he plays tennis for the local police team"

You don't get referee pen pictures like that, or indeed at all, these days.

Watford,what a dump.
Dump ground and fans as well.
Shame they could not show our goal on that clip.They shoved us all up into that corner,crazy.There were loads of us.Surprised that nobody got injured

Interestingly, as it often was back then, it was the same ref for the first match :-

Scan-11-3.jpeg

Looking at the Watford line up, it shows what an achievement it was for us and vindication of how good our team was.
Must point out that there was an important change to that line-up shown above: the formidable Luther Blissett wasn’t fit to play.He was replaced by Keith Cassells who looked a bit similar but performed extremely poorly and ,I recall,was substituted soon after half-time.

Must point out that there was an important change to that line-up shown above: the formidable Luther Blissett wasn’t fit to play.He was replaced by Keith Cassells who looked a bit similar but performed extremely poorly and ,I recall,was substituted soon after half-time.

Our team was also not as per that programme with Walker and Hadley replacing Yates and Cusack, neither of which strengthened the side.

Andy Polycarpou's company
http://www.sochicinteriors.co.uk/

one for SUEPA ? or has he already joined ?
I am at a trade fair in Paris representing the company I work for in Malta. First client comes along, chats, wants to place an order, hands me his business card (of So Chic Interiors) and it has his name on it: Andrew Polycarpou.

Nice bloke. We had a bit of a chat. He said how he decided he wanted away after being dropped for the Liverpool games having scored the goal at Watford and how gutting it was for him.

He watched us against Peterborough recently. I won't say what he thought of the performance.

And another great game was played today, 06.09.1972
Southend v Chelsea,league cup. One of the best night ever in the North bank.I think that was the season we played in all blue???? the Chelsea kit?
Not sure!!

Today,40 years ago,we played Watford away in the 2nd round of the FA cup.
Cannot remember the score,maybe 1-1,but we drew.Cannot remember anything about the game to be honest.
As like most Watford away games,plenty of things happened around the town.
This time,Watford gave us (Blues),the Rookery,the home end....after a visit by "Leigh Comm" a few years before and knowing that Southend were taking "loads" of fans,they put us in the home end..which normally did not happen.
After the game,i ended up being taken back to Southend in a car.Sadly cannot remember who was driving it,but there was only two of us.
The draw was made a while after the game :So on the way back ,we stopped and listened to it......
Then the bloke on BBC radio said.....Southend United or Watford versus...LIVERPOOL
We went mental...forget Del boys"3 wheeler" when he became a millonaire...that car"bounced around"like never before:
So the reason for this "thread"is...after todays game(40 years ago)...SOUTHEND,the Blues and the whole area went mental..we could be playing the best team in EUROPE,the World...and im sure EVERYONE who lived those weeks will remember them fondly.
So the build up starts today...we still have a replay
Wow, great memories. I was at the league game at Watford the previous season (the MOTD game) in the Rookery end along with about 150 Shrimpers (plenty more elsewhere) and, before ko, Watford came over to say 'hello'! My first ever away game, aged 14, I didn't know where the hell I was. You learn fast! Missed the away game in the FAC but what followed in the replay and the Liverpool games will always live in memory. What a time to be a Shrimper!

Ignore that, it was the season before.

Ross Jenkins goal is on these highlights :-

I used to work opposite Watford's training ground back in the 80's. I would often spend a tea break watching from the upstairs window as they practised their long ball game. The myth is they just hoofed it long but each move was well planned and it was all about movement after the target man had won the first header. As that goal shows they could play quick footy but made sure it was in your third of the pitch.

That goal by Jenkins was a good example. From the kick he would always be in that position and had players on the move both inside and out.

If the ball was won in open play in their half it would always go back to a full back who would hit the exact same area as the goal keeper did. If it was the right back then it was the same area but down the right side of the pitch. The delivery would be flatter and Jenkins or George Riley would flick it either inside to a runner or outside to a pacey winger. Almost impossible to win the first ball against those two.

That style took them from 4th tier to a second place finish in the top division.

I read interesting interview with Riley about his career. He would often win up to 30 headers in a match and ended up with over 100 stitches in his head during his career.

Some 20 years after scoring against Plymouth in the cup semi he was working on a building site and got his ear bitten off by a still annoyed Plymouth fan......Still the FAC meant a lot more to us lot back then.

The Watford replay is still my favourite game at RH

I

Still the FAC meant a lot more to us lot back then.

The Watford replay is still my favourite game at RH

And is one of mine as well, because the Print Co I worked for had the contract that season for printing the programmes, which I did for every home game.
From an average print run of between 3,000-4,000 depending who the opposition were, we produced 25,000 for the Liverpool game.
The format for this one was different to League games, & a larger sized one was wanted.
To keep costs down, only the front, back & inside covers were printed on the usual '100gsm art paper'.by me. Our Press Room which had a 6 unit Goss press, which could print a 96pp newspaper ( & did every week, Walthamstow Guardian ) ran the inner pages in one hit in under an hour.
It took me up to 2 days before the game ( which was called off the day before, due to the frozen pitch, so much for keeping the snow on it till the last minute! ) to complete the total amount.
This was due to the fact we had heavy snowfall the previous Sat ( Dec 30th ) which prevented me going in on NYE for another 6am-6pm shift.
'Mature aged' fans like me, will recall the league game with Watford postponed on NYD due to the snow, which was a shame, as we would have pulled in a 17,000 crowd that day, easy.
FYI I printed 6,000 progs for the Watford game, as the club worked on the theory that 1 in every 2 brought a programme back then.
The quantity soared mega for the Liverpool game, as rightly so they thought more fans would buy one for a souvenir of that momentous game.
Needless to say, I've still got mine in pristine condition!.
( An added bonus was I had got married 5 months earlier, & with all the O/T ( paid at double time! ), we were able to upgrade our black & white TV, for a colour one!. Ahhh those were the days....

And another great game was played today, 06.09.1972
Southend v Chelsea,league cup. One of the best night ever in the North bank.I think that was the season we played in all blue???? the Chelsea kit?
Not sure!!

I was in the middle of the Pak for that match - Chris Garland's winner came off his shin - we were standing right behind it!

Back