• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ozzie

Manager
today ,years ago, we had a few big games .here is just 3. i was at all 3.im sure some of you were as well.. today 1972.. giliingham-sufc. leigh comm coaches, white coats,those hells angels !! then in the evening, germany winning at wembley! so things dont change much, still in the 4 th, england rubbish,germany still winning & i have still got all my own teeth:clap:.today 1976,.. we were religated . we played at sheff.wed, lost in front of over 30 odd thousand(i think).the loser went down,we lost .it was strange,coz it was plaYED ON A thursday night. we also play 2 days before(tues) at wrexham,if i remember, we drew 2-2, i only saw 1 goal,missed 3 .due to drinking too much wrexham ale & going to the toilet......... then 1978,today, newport county away,we took a large amount of fans,remember,quite a few not coming back with us,locked up,. still remember poor old ginger..we had been promoted,the friday night before(home to rochdale).at newport,after the game,got the no.9 shirt,parker ,i think,got it framed & hanging on my wall here. happy days

I got Steve Goodwins shirt at the Newport game, went down on Graham Wigmores coach from the Nelson. Remember a drinking contest with a rugby team in Chepstow on the way back...we lost. Then back in Southend about 4'o'clock in the morning and went straight to Vic Circus to get free coaches up to Rock against Racism march to Victoria Park in Hackney to see the Clash. Didn't seem to sleep much in those days!!!!!

Relegation in 76. I was at school - as you say Oz it was a Thursday. Everyone knew I wanted to go to Hillsborough but becaause everyone knew - I could not bunk off. I watched coaches leave Roots Hall from my school. :-(

Newport was a cracker, we won 4-1 or 4-2 and I was highly inebriated while on the pitch after! I remember you getting the shirt. Was still hungover at school on the Monday!

Happy days!

Today 32 years ago Southend United won the 4th.Division Championship for the 1st. and only time. Only 17 players were used of which 8 played over 40 matches(Cawston,Cusack,Yates,Hadley,Pountney,Gray,Spence,Otualakowski).+ 3 others played 30+(Stead,Moody,Mercer). The back up players who also played were Hull,Dudley,Nelson,Walker,Pennyfather & Polycarpou.
We played 46 matches winning 30, drawing 7, losing 9, we were unbeaten at home in the league all season and conceded only 6 goals (between August & November we went almost 1000 minutes at home without conceding a single goal."HAPPY DAYS"

im not sure,but we won every home game(league) up till the lincoln home game,which we drew??was at that game,then left straight after,going backn to germany for work..great team,great players.possibly being my favourite team ever!even better than the late 60s-early 70s teams.

im not sure,but we won every home game(league) up till the lincoln home game,which we drew??was at that game,then left straight after,going backn to germany for work..great team,great players.possibly being my favourite team ever!even better than the late 60s-early 70s teams.

Nearly right Oz. We ended up winning 19 and drawing 4 of our 23 home games. If memory serves me right, the first home draw was before the Lincoln game, against Doncaster on a Friday night (0-0).
I seem to recollect that you and J.Mc said 'hello' to the Donnie fans in the South Bank?

Nearly right Oz. We ended up winning 19 and drawing 4 of our 23 home games. If memory serves me right, the first home draw was before the Lincoln game, against Doncaster on a Friday night (0-0).
I seem to recollect that you and J.Mc said 'hello' to the Donnie fans in the South Bank?
Pennyfather's debut, I think.

Great team, great season - CHAMPIONS!!
Lincoln was tasty both home and away. Torquay was final away game and we needed a win to keep us ahead of Lincoln in the title race. We swept into an early 3-0 lead and won 4-1. A memorable evening that was topped-off by a snow blizzard (that late in the season) and we were forced to spend most of the night at a service station with other stranded Shrimpers!

Dave Smith holding the trophy with his long hair and huge grin!! Magnificent!

Today 32 years ago Southend United won the 4th.Division Championship for the 1st. and only time. Only 17 players were used of which 8 played over 40 matches(Cawston,Cusack,Yates,Hadley,Pountney,Gray,Spence,Otualakowski).+ 3 others played 30+(Stead,Moody,Mercer). The back up players who also played were Hull,Dudley,Nelson,Walker,Pennyfather & Polycarpou.
We played 46 matches winning 30, drawing 7, losing 9, we were unbeaten at home in the league all season and conceded only 6 goals (between August & November we went almost 1000 minutes at home without conceding a single goal."HAPPY DAYS"

I remember the complete and utter silence in the ground when we finally let a goal in. I also remember Mervyn Cawston being so upset he took his gloves off, threw them down and then sat down with his back against one of the posts. I also remember thinking, "What's the big deal, we're still winning, and we're still going to win this game".

Great team, great season - CHAMPIONS!!
Lincoln was tasty both home and away. Torquay was final away game and we needed a win to keep us ahead of Lincoln in the title race. We swept into an early 3-0 lead and won 4-1. A memorable evening that was topped-off by a snow blizzard (that late in the season) and we were forced to spend most of the night at a service station with other stranded Shrimpers!

Dave Smith holding the trophy with his long hair and huge grin!! Magnificent!
Hoggy,Match played on a Saturday night first half we were 3-0 up and thats how it finished(Nelson,Hadley & Cusack pen). Went back after the match on the team coach to their hotel for some food & drink,then back to our hotel about 1am.Woke up at about 8am.only to find about 4"of snow,absolute nightmare getting home but happy.Following Friday crowned"CHAMPIONS"after 1-1 draw with Rochdale.

Hoggy,Match played on a Saturday night first half we were 3-0 up and thats how it finished(Nelson,Hadley & Cusack pen). Went back after the match on the team coach to their hotel for some food & drink,then back to our hotel about 1am.Woke up at about 8am.only to find about 4"of snow,absolute nightmare getting home but happy.Following Friday crowned"CHAMPIONS"after 1-1 draw with Rochdale.

You're right - 3-0. How did you blag a lift on team coach? Well done.

Final home game and clincher of both 77/78 promotion and 80/81 Champs - were both 1-1 with Rochdale at Roots Hall.

kev. according to my records 80/81 was 1-1 v rochdale but 77/78 was a 3-1 win (goodwin, morris & parker). this match followed on from the 1 - 0 away victory at torquay when, if memory serves me right, neil freeman was arrested for peeing in a shop door way during after match celebrations.

kev. according to my records 80/81 was 1-1 v rochdale but 77/78 was a 3-1 win (goodwin, morris & parker). this match followed on from the 1 - 0 away victory at torquay when, if memory serves me right, neil freeman was arrested for peeing in a shop door way during after match celebrations.

Your right on both counts. Neil Freeman incident is still extremely funny.
My memory is going!

Back