• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tom Hopper

Very much doubt we will be interested. He has had to many serious injuries and is on his way down.....The complete opposite of our current policy.

His name was certainly mentioned when we were desperate for a striker. By the time the embargo is finally lifted, we might have other (better) options in our sights.

I wouldn’t rule it out though.

He is still only 29 so really should be in his prime, he has only had one real injury with us which was a groin strain that kept him out mid Aug to mid Sept this season. Most of his injuries were years ago, I don’t think he is an injury risk now more than any other player really.

He is still only 29 so really should be in his prime, he has only had one real injury with us which was a groin strain that kept him out mid Aug to mid Sept this season. Most of his injuries were years ago, I don’t think he is an injury risk now more than any other player really.

Problem is some players never get those first two steps back after along term injury. We should know we have had several of them in the last 5 years.

Tom Hopper was one of them and the fact he can't get into your squad half the time means he is not the man to lead anyone to the NL play-offs. If we can't keep Kanu then equally we will be good option for another pace young lad on loan.

Problem is some players never get those first two steps back after along term injury. We should know we have had several of them in the last 5 years.

Tom Hopper was one of them and the fact he can't get into your squad half the time means he is not the man to lead anyone to the NL play-offs. If we can't keep Kanu then equally we will be good option for another pace young lad on loan.
Yes you may be right rigsby, I hope for Tom’s sake he gets some games somewhere if not at Colchester, he still has a lot of time left on his current contract!

A fit and chomping at the bit Hopper, could do good things at this level. As @GBJ mentions, he definitely is/was someone we are keeping tabs on.
But he has played only 1 full season since he left us and has hardly been a prolific scorer. When he signed for us I thought he was an inspired signing by Chris Powell. However the injury jinx struck and he has never fully recovered.

Please God no. How have all of the fans not learnt that going back to old players isn't a formula that works.

Lets go young and fresh

I'd rather players like Kanu on loan than Hopper any day of the week.

I'd rather Powell over Hopper.

I'd rather Richard Taylor up front again than Hopper.

Please God no. How have all of the fans not learnt that going back to old players isn't a formula that works.

Lets go young and fresh

I get the angle you are going for here. Big picture and a serious one for Callum Powell, let’s hope his acl injury is less severe than Tom’s was as that one seems to have turned a top league 1 striker into a misfit (at the worst team) in the football league. Callum is obviously (at the best team) in non league and on the face of it will struggle to come back better than hopper.

All that said. Callum seems to have an incredible work rate so if anyone can shake it off it’s him.

Lets go young and fresh

It has worked with some. Barrett, Spinner, Eagle.

Hopper would be a back up/competition for Cardwell. Who hasn’t been 100% fit for a while. He needs a rest, as do some of the others, but until Kanu arrived, he was the only recognised centre forward at the club. I agree with going fresh, but Hopper wouldn’t be a replacement for someone fresh.

He wouldn’t be in place of a Kanu, maybe a Powell, or another quick striker (we have a few on the whiteboard).

As for Richard Taylor, now I know you’re talking nonsense.

I haven’t seen Hopper play since he left us, I don’t really remember his appearances after his injury to be honest, but before it he was a fantastic player, and if we get that back, we’d be laughing.

IF Hopper was someone we’d look to bring in, he would have passed the no ******** policy, an extensive amount of research would have gone into his past injuries too, and as @Colchester and proud! Has pointed out, he has only suffered only injury this season.

Thought he’d be a great signing for Col U….done absolutely nothing. Next thing we’ll be talking about Freddie Sears.

Thought he’d be a great signing for Col U….done absolutely nothing. Next thing we’ll be talking about Freddie Sears.
Freddie is now a Dagger, so totally past redemption. I believe he was one of the go fors as an emergency signing a while back.

You all know the saying "round pegs, square holes" so maybe Hoppy is a bad fit at the Ewe but the question is if he would be " round peg, round hole" and a happy, motivated, inclusive fit Hoppy at the Hall.

Might we show an interest in Matt Jay too.. ?
Matt is quite a lightweight in terms of build but he has class written all over him, the poor guy moved from his home area/club right across the country, we made him very welcome Robbie even sorted out a home for him, but he has just not had a chance to settle in the team since Bloomfield left.

Might we show an interest in Matt Jay too.. ?
That would be decent addition imo he not had much game time I see recently but that would change if he did make the short trip to us .. wonder if he’s name is on the white board

We paid a fee for him and I think he is one of the better paid players at Col U, probably 2K plus pw.
Yeah fair enough once takeover is fully completed it be interesting to see what player we try and bring in tbh . As recnelty we signed most from the lower league and that worked very well . But I reckon we may push to adding one or two from higher leagues once funds are better plus doing our usual lower scout recruitment

Back