• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Decent match report except that Chris Phillips makes it sound much easier than I think it was (quote: "The Shrimpers looked the superior side for the majority of the match...).

Tilly and Brush have been offered new improved 3 year deals. Tilly also will be addressing the players contracts about Christmas time as there are several that expire at the end of this season.

Luke Guttridge has apparently been named PFA League 1 player of the month. However, I recall seeing on SKY Sports News last night that Phil Jevons had got it. Does anyone know exactly what the situation is?

Freddy is staying put! He is happy and says we could be in the Championship next year. Ron is equally adamant and said that it doesn't matter what is offered - he is going nowhere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Nov. 07 2005,13:40)]Luke Guttridge has apparently been named PFA League 1 player of the month.  However, I recall seeing on SKY Sports News last night that Phil Jevons had got it.  Does anyone know exactly what the situation is?
There are at least two different awards, can't remember which one Gutts won.

That all sounds very encouraging, particularly the business of Tilly and the players contracts. I would think that the majority of the squad will be out of contract this summer.

Guttridge won the PFA award (the one Kent Shrimper gets us all to vote in)
Jevons won the Powerade award (I think awarded by that northern-monkey Kamara), no SUFC players in the top 3 (2nd was Sharp (Scunny) & 3rd was fat-boy Trundle)

Jevons probo won the Powerade one. In other words, the sh iter one
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Nov. 07 2005,13:53)]That all sounds very encouraging, particularly the business of Tilly and the players contracts. I would think that the majority of the squad will be out of contract this summer.
I think the following players will be out of contract:

Griemink
Hunt
Edwards
Prior
Barrett
Jupp
Maher
Bentley
Gower
Pettefer
Smith (although we may have a further year's option)
Gray
Goater

We're buggered if they all leave
down.gif

Griemink 50 - 50
Hunt - no reason for lewis to leave
Edwards - getting older but mite stick around for another
Prior - Getting on now has plans to go to australia source - His dad
Barrett - Will stay loves it here
Jupp - not sure with jupp time will tell
Maher - been here for over 8 years dont see why he wont sign again!
Bentley - if he can hold down a first team place then he will stay
Gower - tough one Gower needs to find his form of old if not then I think hes out the door
Pettefer - not sure on Petts
Gray - no reason to leave with goater not getting any younger he can lean from him and take back his place.
Goater - Will more then likley stay hes happy and could take on a coach role

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Nov. 07 2005,14:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Nov. 07 2005,13:53)]That all sounds very encouraging, particularly the business of Tilly and the players contracts. I would think that the majority of the squad will be out of contract this summer.
I think the following players will be out of contract:

Griemink
Hunt
Edwards
Prior
Barrett
Jupp
Maher
Bentley
Gower
Pettefer
Gray
Goater

We're buggered if they all leave  
down.gif
As long as Maher signs we'll be fine.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Nov. 07 2005,13:57)]3rd was fat-boy Trundle)
what i surprise. he could play a stinker every game of the month and still get a nomination just because every at sky sports thinks he's gods gift.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Nov. 07 2005,14:34)]Griemink 50 - 50
Hunt - no reason for lewis to leave
Edwards - getting older but mite stick around for another
Prior - Getting on now has plans to go to australia source - His dad
Barrett - Will stay loves it here
Jupp - not sure with jupp time will tell
Maher - been here for over 8 years dont see why he wont sign again!
Bentley - if he can hold down a first team place then he will stay
Gower - tough one Gower needs to find his form of old if not then I think hes out the door
Pettefer - not sure on Petts
Gray - no reason to leave with goater not getting any younger he can lean from him and take back his place.
Goater - Will more then likley stay hes happy and could take on a coach role
You have a very positive outlook!

Barrett and Hunt may well love it at Southend but if they were offered big pay rises elsewhere I'm sure they'd be off. They're just the sort of up and coming young(ish) players, with plenty of experience, playing in a successful team, that could tempt a few Championship teams.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperman @ Nov. 07 2005,14:36)]
[b said:
what i surprise. he could play a stinker every game of the month and still get a nomination just because every at sky sports thinks he's gods gift.
To be fair he is playing well at the moment, although I appreciate where you are coming from. I'd prefer it if every paper in the land went on about Trundle in the next few months, particularly the Norwich Times and the Southampton Post!! A nice write up in these areas will be needed until the end of the transfer window. After all - Freddy is over rated, unproven and definitely not worth a gamble messyrs Worthington and Redknapp!!

[b said:
[b said:
Are you saying if Lee Trundle had ever been a Southend player you don't think he'd have been good enough? Part of the reason he gets abuse is that he may be a fat ******* but he knows where the net is.

He is a massive factor on the outcome of this Saturday's game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 07 2005,14:51)]
[b said:
[b said:
Are you saying if Lee Trundle had ever been a Southend player you don't think he'd have been good enough? Part of the reason he gets abuse is that he may be a fat ******* but he knows where the net is.

He is a massive factor on the outcome of this Saturday's game.
dont get me wrong, i know he has the ability to kill defences with his skill and ability to score goals from anywhere. however, its because of his, shall we say 'media firendly' approach that he gets most noticed. ill give him credit this month, he has played well (from what iv seen), it just seemed relevant to point out that he does get singled out for praise more often than most who deserve it - and its not to do with his ability on the pitch or in burger king!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 07 2005,14:51)]He is a massive factor on the outcome of this Saturday's game.
I fully agree, as is Freddy (don't know why people found that comment amusing TBH).

All depends on what league we are playing of course but I don't think any of them deserve to be released at this stage, we will need to increase the squad if we go up a level, we are pretty much down to the bare bones as it is.

Most of them are young and have coped easily with this level of football so far so any cull would be minimal in my opinion, meaning Tilly has a busy Christmas period ahead of him!

Could probably justify releasing a couple if decent replacements were forthcoming.

Hmm, not so sure "minimal" is a word that can be used with any certainty. An awful lot depends on what league we'll be in next year, so deciding, in January, who to hang on to for next season is a good trick to have mastered!

As it stands, of those names mentioned as out of contract in the summer, those *I* think would be good enough as regular starters are: Griemink, Hunt, Barrett & Maher.

Those *I* can see as back-up squad players are: Edwards, Bentley, Smith & Gray.

Those *I* can't see being needed or good/young enough for a Championship side are: Prior, Jupp, Gower, Pettefer & Goater.

So, contract offers for the first two sets and major thank you's for some excellent service, but no offers, for the third set.

That's all very much IMHO, and assuming we're going all the way to the Championship this time round and also assuming no new signings are made in January and also assuming that we add more quality to the squad in the summer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Nov. 07 2005,14:34)]Prior - Getting on now has plans to go to australia source - His dad
So what's happened to his plan to stay on at the club once he retires and become coach? (Even though Tilly might not want him to, that's what he said he was going to do!!)

Back