• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Tracksuit bottoms when exercising

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
I play football every Wednesday night with a few of my mates and basically a load of random blokes that just want to play football. The standard is fairly high which I like as there is nothing worse than playing with players that cant trap a ball.

Anyway last night one of the blokes turned up and proceed to play on astrotuff with tracksuit bottoms on !!!!!!!!! It was cold last night but I have seen worse.

Then today walking to work I noticed a rugby player type running in trackies as well. I saw running but he was more waddling than running.

Now I am not being funny but I really cannot see any reason to wear tracksuit bottoms for exercise unless the sport demmands it. Wear them to the pitch etc by all means but when you get there get changed into your shorts surely?

Yes for the first minute or two its a bit cold but once you have run about a bit your not going to feel it anymore........

Am I alone in thinking wearing trackies for exercise is a bit bent?

Football = football shorts. And once the game starts, no tracksuit top either. Short sleeve t-shirt or football shirt no matter what the weather. Be a man.

I don't wear 'trackies' but I wear gloves in cold weather because it makes you look continental.

That said I wouldn't mind one of the Rob Newman era all in one warmup suits that made squad players look like car mechanics during their half time kickabaout.

Last edited:
I don't see why darts and snooker players aren't permitted to wear tracksuits.

They are a lot more modern, comfortable and as long as they are not made from shell suit material there would be no noise to distract other players.

Now its heading to that time of year again it raised an interesting discussion before i last played football. Would you wear man tights to play football in? Are they better or worse then joggers?

Now its heading to that time of year again it raised an interesting discussion before i last played football. Would you wear man tights to play football in? Are they better or worse then joggers?

Man tights are a total and utter no in my book - regardless of any given situation they are simply not acceptable.

IMO trackies on astroturf is OK. Nothing worse than ripping ur legs to pieces, then whinging about it for the next 3 days

IMO trackies on astroturf is OK. Nothing worse than ripping ur legs to pieces, then whinging about it for the next 3 days

if only someone had told SBH at the SZFC charity football match.

as for trackie bottoms for football. nope.

base layers, tops...yes for football and other sports. And maybe base layer shorts (like the cycling shorts) for football should be all thats needed if anything. not sure about full on man tights for any sport tbh....maybe i just dont cycle fast enough to feel the need. def no no for football.

I exercise fairly regularly including some road running and football and it does depend on the situation. 95% of the time, I'll wear shorts... 100% of the time during Football, but I do wear one of the Skins tops if it's approaching sub-zero temperatures. If it's Moscow outside, I'll wear joggers for running but very rarely.

Trackies are only acceptable for keepers.

No they aren't.

We train over at Maldon astro turf on a Wednesday night and I'm our goalkeeper. I've never worn trackie bottoms when in goal ever. If we are doing goalkeeper stuff I wear 3/4 lengths if its just a 5 a side kick about I wear shorts.

Base layer shorts, football shorts, football shirt, football socks up to my knees. No gloves in any weather, unless I'm in goal then they have to go on.

Gloves, trackie bottoms, jumpers etc are for softies.

Yeah I play in a few 6-a-side leagues up here and lots of players turn out in trackir bottoms. However it is Sheffield and so I suppose it means they dot have to change! In my book it's ok if your on astro, but I'd never play wearing them

Back