• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Trains on strike again - Whole week this time!

Its time the unions were smashed once and for all in this country. No wonder we have no car industry or manufacturing any more, the unions have cost more jobs than theyve protected.
Maybe nurses should go on strike for the measly 1.5% pay rise they got this year. But they dont becasue they are there to serve the public, just like these ****** drivers are. Driving a train up and down all day and they get paid more than coppers and soldiers, with a nice pension to boot.
And the London Midland drivers not working sunday unless paid double time- god I see nurses every day in my hospital doing 3 or 4 hours unpaid overtime.

Once again the commuters of the country shat on, easy target though, we just shrug and get on with it. Bad enough seeing all the dolescum at Basildon get let though the gates with their 8 kids without paying. Could get a car I suppose but again youre penalised for working hard and earning a decent living- tax, petrol, insurance, road tolls.

People like bob Crow need shooting!

Its time the unions were smashed once and for all in this country. No wonder we have no car industry or manufacturing any more, the unions have cost more jobs than theyve protected.
Maybe nurses should go on strike for the measly 1.5% pay rise they got this year. But they dont becasue they are there to serve the public, just like these ****** drivers are. Driving a train up and down all day and they get paid more than coppers and soldiers, with a nice pension to boot.
And the London Midland drivers not working sunday unless paid double time- god I see nurses every day in my hospital doing 3 or 4 hours unpaid overtime.

Once again the commuters of the country shat on, easy target though, we just shrug and get on with it. Bad enough seeing all the dolescum at Basildon get let though the gates with their 8 kids without paying. Could get a car I suppose but again youre penalised for working hard and earning a decent living- tax, petrol, insurance, road tolls.

yep takes the ****ing ****!

Well said that man!

Although i will say, the London Midland thing was bound to happen sooner or later because working on a Sunday is completely voluntary on that line and not built into contracts.

The nursees argument dosnt make it right on either case . Nurses should be paid the most of nearly any public servant (for that is what they are) , however this cannot ditract nor remove unions (as nurses themselfs are also member of unions. Your not penalised for working hard you penalised for lack of knoweldge for over buying crap and for living with your head down sorry guv im lucky i have a job mentality . Thats what keeps commuters down . In the last 5-10 years computer technologey has allowed large companies to move oiuutsode london and set up more remote cheaper officers in the surrounding countries, thus then removing commuters , why have they not chossen to do you so hmm ?

The nursees argument dosnt make it right on either case . Nurses should be paid the most of nearly any public servant (for that is what they are) , however this cannot ditract nor remove unions (as nurses themselfs are also member of unions. Your not penalised for working hard you penalised for lack of knoweldge for over buying crap and for living with your head down sorry guv im lucky i have a job mentality . Thats what keeps commuters down . In the last 5-10 years computer technologey has allowed large companies to move oiuutsode london and set up more remote cheaper officers in the surrounding countries, thus then removing commuters , why have they not chossen to do you so hmm ?

I know Polish people that speak better English than that!

Be responsible for hundreds of lives.

Or not in the case of the Fenny Line driver who was diagnosed with Epilepsy but did not inform c2c and carried on his job. Only got caught when he killed a young lady whilst driving his car.

Anyway I agree that Nurses, soliders, and police should be on more money than they are, but i find it a joke that ASLEF were the last lot to go on strike last time but they are the only ones to refuse the proposed offer, it does smack of greed.

Surprising post of the year.

4%, its a bloody good offer. Better than anywhere in the public sector. The current remit for public sector workers is 1.5%.

Now I know from experience that when an employer states a figure, it can be misleading because of progression payments, overtime rates etc, so it may be that the majority of the workforce get a lot less. That said, I can't find any counter argument from ASLEF (their site is shockingly poor).

I'd be interested in the rationale ASLEF are using to reject the offer and strike. I gather the RMT have accepted.

In the current climate anyone striking over pay is going to find it very difficult to get any public sympathy.

Oh, and just a quick correction to some of the earlier posts. Bob Crowe is Gen Sec of RMT, not ASLEF, so quite what he has to do with this, is a mystery to me. I could ask him if you want.

4%, its a bloody good offer. Better than anywhere in the public sector. The current remit for public sector workers is 1.5%.

Now I know from experience that when an employer states a figure, it can be misleading because of progression payments, overtime rates etc, so it may be that the majority of the workforce get a lot less. That said, I can't find any counter argument from ASLEF (their site is shockingly poor).

I'd be interested in the rationale ASLEF are using to reject the offer and strike. I gather the RMT have accepted.

In the current climate anyone striking over pay is going to find it very difficult to get any public sympathy.

I totally agree with what you are saying, and my main point has been about ASLEF and the way they are going about this.

It is surprising that Uncle Bob's lot did agree this deal.

The argument I have seen from ASLEF is that their members were balloted and rejected the offer. However surely it is down to the Union to advise the members on whether this is a wise move or not. This does not seem to be the case, as you mention public support for such an increase is not going to be high at this current time.

Surely if they can afford to strike for a week they don't need the extra money ?

I really hope NE do not cave in whatever the inconvenience it will cause me and many others. My pay has been capped for the forseeable future. I earn much more than a train driver. They earn more than many others and I wouldn't mind their terms and conditions.

Blimey! You've just flummoxed my Friday morning.
How was your trip Lord? I didnt realise you had spent a week away at the right common sense brain washing society.

I totally agree with what you are saying, and my main point has been about ASLEF and the way they are going about this.

It is surprising that Uncle Bob's lot did agree this deal.

The argument I have seen from ASLEF is that their members were balloted and rejected the offer. However surely it is down to the Union to advise the members on whether this is a wise move or not. This does not seem to be the case, as you mention public support for such an increase is not going to be high at this current time.

A union when balloting members would give a recommendation as part of the ballot process. It is unusual for a membership to vote against a recommendation, especially so in this case given the rejection rather.

Blimey! You've just flummoxed my Friday morning.
How was your trip Lord? I didnt realise you had spent a week away at the right common sense brain washing society.

It was very good, thank you..

I trust we have both drawn a line uner what went before?

A union when balloting members would give a recommendation as part of the ballot process. It is unusual for a membership to vote against a recommendation, especially so in this case given the rejection rather.

It was very good, thank you..

I trust we have both drawn a line uner what went before?

Yes Lord, I think we have. Maybe too much Friday night beer had something to do with it on my part.

I'd be happy with 1.5% this year, got diddly squat! Although they are reviewing it soon I can't see us getting anything.

I don't know where you work, but pay offers are something where it is easy to demonstrate the advantage of trade unions.

It is easy for a management class to apply, impose etc pay deals on individuals. With a recognised union they have to collectively bargain.

I am sure you aren't aware of the vagaries of your contract or elements of employment law - most of us aren't. So as an individual your employer can pull the wool over your eyes to speak. It's harder with trained and professional trade union negotiator.

Back