• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ......... Tranmere (H)

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow's referee is refereeing his fourth Southend match. He is ginger-haired Alan Young from Ely, in his very late thirties he is far from young for a new-ish referee. A former physical training instructor in the army he overcame a challenge or two in his earlier years and he became a respected and established non-league referee before joining the Football League referees list last year.

Another FA crony, he works as the Chief Executive Officer of the Bedfordshire FA having previously worked for the Cambridgeshire FA.

I had seen him referee in non-league a few times and he was always at least reasonable so I was not surprised he had a decent game in his first previous Southend home match, the 3-0 home win over Walsall last season. Turner got our only yellow after replacing Lennon very early in the game. They, too, had one yellow. We also lost Hopper early on in that game.

His other Southend match last season was the defeat at Peterborough. That finished 2-0, a match in which we had zero shots on target and, once again, one booking each: Dieng for us, and Ivan Toney for them.

His third and most recent Southend match was earlier this season, again against Peterborough, this time at home but another 2-0 defeat. Mantom getting the game’s only yellow card.

It’s all gone a bit wrong for him this season and his previous high card count has reached new levels as he became the first official to show 100 yellow cards and he has had a few torrid matches.

He has now shown 110 yellow and 2 red cards in just 23 matches this season. He has yet to have a cardless match in his 5 seasons of refereeing at National League or above.

Assisting will be Matthew Lee from Chichester and Adrian Tranter from the Poole/Bournemouth area who at almost 50 is one of the older Assistants. Fourth Official is Callum Walchester a young looking (aren’t they all?) police officer from Lowestoft.

Sounds like a ginger bloke who just wants to be the centre of attention, maybe it’s a ginger thing :Smile:

Bottled the two big decisions.

Penalty for a two handed shove by their keeper. (Almost killed Hopper).

Second yellow card for booting the ball all the way to Benfleet, an hour after the whistle went.

I might be exaggerating slightly but you get the gist....

Bottled the two big decisions.

Penalty for a two handed shove by their keeper. (Almost killed Hopper).

Second yellow card for booting the ball all the way to Benfleet, an hour after the whistle went.

I might be exaggerating slightly but you get the gist....

Add on their number 6 going down like he'd been shot every time he didn't win a challenge and the numerous times he also pulled, pushed and shoved our players and got away with it. Also, twice he handled in front of the ref who wasn't in the slightest bit interested

There were at least 2/3 unpunished handballs. The shove on Hopper was a clear pen to me. Worst ref we’ve had in ages.

And their number 10 having a pop at Demi, on our goal line, toward the end of March. Clear straight red

The law says kicking the ball away like their jerkoff did is punishable by a yellow card, NOT “ ok matey I’ve already booked you so this time I will let you off”. Just one of his strange decisions for both sides ......shocking Ref!

Was ok for a lot of the game but when it came to something that needed a decision, he absolutely bottled it - Tranmere should have had two players at least sent off, and then subbed Danns to prevent him from annoying the ref again.

Was ok for a lot of the game but when it came to something that needed a decision, he absolutely bottled it - Tranmere should have had two players at least sent off, and then subbed Danns to prevent him from annoying the ref again.

Yep: penalty to us in first half; Danns sent off mid way thru 2nd half and their #10 off towards end of match. That could very well have changed the game in our favour. A win for us would’ve been massive and the 2 player suspensions for them would’ve adversely impacted their next couple games and have been of benefit to us too. It’s definitely not our season: we are not getting even one piece of good fortune.

Once again, it's wrong, but it comes down to being "savvy", playing the ref, pleading innocence, or...…………..in our case today.....

When a couple of meaty tackles went in, don't ride them , milk them.

Jeez, this season we've seen teams that play both the game, and if it's not going their way...the ref..

3/10...booked 6 in total, missed...shied away from increasing his already hefty total / is this a concern for him come the assessors...

We sit in the South lower, and despite the grief their keeper was getting, he got a a shout of how s**t is this ref. He did reply, wasn't impressed

And the Premiersh*t moan about VAR, I would happily take VAR in League One over these useless refs!!

The law says kicking the ball away like their jerkoff did is punishable by a yellow card, NOT “ ok matey I’ve already booked you so this time I will let you off”. Just one of his strange decisions for both sides ......shocking Ref!
I think the excuse was "sorry didn't hear the whistle" - as if the 6k crowd were making a wall of noise like at the Camp Nou.

Not sure about the pen, I wasn't at the time and after watching the highlights twice I'm still not 100% convinced. IMO it's a 50/50 shout, unfortunately the decision went against us but I'm not going to criticise the ref for that one. To put it another way, I think if Oxley did the same and a pen got given we'd say it was harsh.

However where I will criticise is the decision to let Danns off the second yellow. As a ref you should enforce the rules, not only when you choose to, if it was any other player kicking the ball away I suspect the card would have been out immediately.

Back