• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ..... Tranmere

Mick

Life President
Or perhaps this should be a refblog ?

Anyway, referee Dean Whitestone from Northampton, in his third season as a Football League referee, makes his fourth visit to Roots Hall. His most recent visit kicked off the season with our win over Peterborough when three visitors were cautioned. Prior to that was the 1-0 defeat against Carlisle in which his performance was probably better than the 8 cautions might imply. His other visit was in the previous season when he officiated in the Leicester home draw in which he sent off that bad financial judgement, Richie Foran. Previously to these three, he was in charge of the away draw at Coventry which I believe he refereed reasonably well.

He is an up and coming referee who is in the newly formed so-called "talent group". This comprises about 10 referees who are being groomed for future "stardom". His card count is a bit above the average, but lower than previous years, and he can be a bit picky.

Ian Cooper and Tony Mason will be coming through the tunnel from Kent to assist and to be 4th official respectively. The other assistant will be John Magill of Colchester.

Interesting that they list the linesman as coming from Colchestaarrgghh ... when Lee Garrett was an aspiring lino / ref and he was sent to Layerbout Road they had him in the programme as being from Essex as opposed to Southend, so as not to cause too much of a fuss to the locals

Just looked back on the Peterborugh Match report thread from earlier in the season. FBm got it pretty much spot on (as per usual)

Ref - 7. Seen better, but seen an awful lot worse.

Interesting that they list the linesman as coming from Colchestaarrgghh ... when Lee Garrett was an aspiring lino / ref and he was sent to Layerbout Road they had him in the programme as being from Essex as opposed to Southend, so as not to cause too much of a fuss to the locals

They don't. He is listed as Essex. He just happens to come from Colchester.
Programmes stopped giving precise origins (or even any at all) ages ago.

Oh i see, thanks for the heads up .. i have to admit i don't pay any attention to the programme for this sort of info, i just get it on this rather excellent feature :clap:

What; you mean we'll never see that a referee hails from Great Bookham again (Ray Lewis?) Shame :)

What; you mean we'll never see that a referee hails from Great Bookham again (Ray Lewis?) Shame :)

I have run the line for Ray Lewis in a couple of games. He runs a sports equipment business now. He also used to be involved in some of those appeals; they'd send him a video to watch and comment on. Think it's done differently now - they all have a drink then spin a coin.

Ray was in charge of the match on that fateful day at Hillsborough and had a distinguished career (including our cracking 4-4 match with Northampton) but what will he be forever remembered for? Yes, coming from Great Bookham

1 lino from kent
1 line from colchester
could see them gettnig some stick

Well hopefully we have seen the back of the snow for the foreseeable future. Not to worry if not, we have Scott on Tuesday.

Back