• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It doesn't matter who he brings in, they'll be slated and doubted before they even touch a ball. Personally, I would like to see some midfielders coming in on loan. Wouldn't mind Oliver Norwood on loan, he can take a mean free-kick.

How many of his 6 games at Carlisle did you see then to deduce that? :unsure:

How many of his 6 games at Carlisle did you see then to deduce that? :unsure:

He's played games for Northern Ireland and Manchester United at youth level and free-kicks are a common part of his game from what I've seen.

I think we should look at the possibility of Hendrie or Timlin on a pay as you play
Either Charlie Sheringham or possibly signing a striker on loan with a bit of pace maybe theo robinson from huddersfield or obika from spurs but i would also like to see leon clarke back on loan who had a great stint with us in the past

I think we should look at the possibility of Hendrie or Timlin on a pay as you play
Either Charlie Sheringham or possibly signing a striker on loan with a bit of pace maybe theo robinson from huddersfield or obika from spurs but i would also like to see leon clarke back on loan who had a great stint with us in the past

Wasn't Leon Clarke's attitude called into question when he was here? I'd take him back in a shot if he could retain his scoring record for us, 8 in 16.

I'd take Timlin back any day to replace Grant should he leave. Has an understanding with Easton and is far more disciplined than Grant, but he's featuring for Swindon at the moment and is unlikely to be sent back out. Has Charlie Sheringham actually accomplished anything in his career? Leon Clarke's role at QPR is likely to take on a new found importance with Mackie's injury, I'm afraid.

Leon Clarke?! He's in and around QPR's first team so zero chance (especially on his wages), and the same applies to Timlin, who is now starting regularly for Swindon.

The same also applies for Theo Robinson, who is likely to be back playing for Millwall in the Championship within the next week or so.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jimmy alongside Corr - the lad had pace and some ability - short on confidence but we were all pretty excited when we first signed him in League 1.

There's not a football manager among the 92 clubs who had to sign that many players, owing to what happened last season and during the summer. To criticise Sturrock for the number of players we've brought in is ludicrous.

I am not criticising him for the number of players, it is the quality that is the issue! Of course he had to bring in players otherwise we could not have started the season! The point I am making is that many managers would love to be able to sign 24 players of their own choosing. Consider the stuation of managers such as Steve Tilson at Lincoln. He has to work with what he's got, you can't just move players on and bring others in. In his case, and for many other managers, it is a slow process bringing in people, you usually have to move one out before you can bring another in. In fact this is the position for Paul Sturrock at the moment.
OK, it was not easy for Sturrock, but there is always a steady supply of players available in the close season due to clubs cutting their wage bill and in fact many of the dealings are late in the day due to players keeping their options open.
My own view is that if Tilly was still here and was allowed to sign 24 players he would have made a better job of it than Sturrock, as would many other managers, other fans may disagree.
Every other club in this division is probably looking at the free transfer and out of contract players market. It is difficult for all of them, Sturrock included, but looking at the results so far then Sturrock is justifiably open to criticism.

I am not criticising him for the number of players, it is the quality that is the issue! Of course he had to bring in players otherwise we could not have started the season! The point I am making is that many managers would love to be able to sign 24 players of their own choosing. Consider the stuation of managers such as Steve Tilson at Lincoln. He has to work with what he's got, you can't just move players on and bring others in. In his case, and for many other managers, it is a slow process bringing in people, you usually have to move one out before you can bring another in. In fact this is the position for Paul Sturrock at the moment.
OK, it was not easy for Sturrock, but there is always a steady supply of players available in the close season due to clubs cutting their wage bill and in fact many of the dealings are late in the day due to players keeping their options open.
My own view is that if Tilly was still here and was allowed to sign 24 players he would have made a better job of it than Sturrock, as would many other managers, other fans may disagree.
Every other club in this division is probably looking at the free transfer and out of contract players market. It is difficult for all of them, Sturrock included, but looking at the results so far then Sturrock is justifiably open to criticism.

But this view fails to acknowledge one of the biggest criticisms of the current squad, that a fair number are "players that nobody else wanted". Sturrock was given the position in early July, with the majority of teams already a month into their transfer activity and as such had a capped pool of available players to choose from. Sturrock had to assemble a squad within a month, and that shows given the inconsistency in not only the football played, but the players themselves. For every Moshni, there's a Luke Prosser, for every Ryan Hall a Louie Soares and for every Barry Corr, a Waide Fairhurst.

Sturrock has now been given four months to analyse the state of the squad, sort the wheat from the chaff and is now looking to address the issues within the squad. Zaaboub has been moved out and replaced by Comminges, Prosser's gone out on loan with Mark Phillips returning from injury (and I understand another defender could soon be arriving).

By all means, if we're still struggling in May with gaping holes in the squad, then Sturrock will have to accept some critcism, but let's at least wait until then before we assemble the lynch mob.

Although not from a substantiated source, I have been told that Sturrock was after Alan Gow who has just signed for Notts County.

Someone on Facebook has just said he has heard we have put in a bid for Nicky Forster (Yes the 37 year old) who is currently at Brentford...

I reckon we should sign Akpo Sodje and play him against his brother on Friday.

Back