• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
A question for those who follow the rest of the Football League more closely than I do: how many goalkeepers have moved for transfer fees in 2013 and how much were those fees?

Frank Fielding went to Bristol City for £200k.

Scott Carson went to Wigan for £700k.

Those are the only ones I can remember.

It was one of the key features for computers with Windows XP, I do miss it ....

So many fees ( not just goalies) seem to be in the undisclosed category these days. However what about Alan McGregor Besiktas to Hull for £1.5m earlier in season and Simon Mignolet from Sunderland to Liverpool for £9m. Admittedly Premier league moves, as was Gazzinga from Gillingham to Southampton last year ( reputedly £1m+)
Mignolet was plucked from lower league Belgium club? to Sunderland for £2m, back in2010.

So many fees ( not just goalies) seem to be in the undisclosed category these days. However what about Alan McGregor Besiktas to Hull for £1.5m earlier in season and Simon Mignolet from Sunderland to Liverpool for £9m. Admittedly Premier league moves, as was Gazzinga from Gillingham to Southampton last year ( reputedly £1m+)
Mignolet was plucked from lower league Belgium club? to Sunderland for £2m, back in2010.

McGregor was a full international, Mignolet was an u21 international.

Unless Bentley gets some international recognition they aren't at all comparable.

Gazzaniga is a more interesting comparison, but seems to be very much the exception rather than the rule.

England's number one was signed for only £100,000. That was a few years back, but I'd suggest that would be more in line with what we could expect.

Gazzaniga also came from the Valencia academy being being released, so that will probably add to his reputation therefore up his price tag. Add to that Gillingham are fairly well backed and wouldn't have been as desperate as we are for cash.

Also, the Hart fee might have been £100k up front and more based on appearances with a sell on percentage too.

a win at Chesterfield, draw against Arsenal/Spurs/Man Utd and a worldy from Bentley live on TV...maybe then a million quid?!

a win at Chesterfield, draw against Arsenal/Spurs/Man Utd and a worldy from Bentley live on TV...maybe then a million quid?!

But the way Prosser is playing , those teams won't get anywhere near Bentley !

Fair point Yorkie
I hope Ronaldo Martin handles this situation very well , given the potential of the keepers on our books. Given that potential he should not be in a hurry to part with any of them. Good that Dan is getting more and more experience and exposure. I hope your wrong as I am sure you do, that Dan doesnt dissappear for £100,000, that would surely be incompetence? What news of Chambers folks?

Strange isn't it, a player that scores a goal a game is worth more money than exists (almost) yet the best goalie on the planet goes for 33p! (almost)

I can see Bentley receiving an U-21 call by the end of this season if he keeps up his good form. This would certainly help to 'up' his value.

Not sure that I entirely agree with the point that YB is making here. English football doesn't produce very many good talented goalkeepers and actually I'd suggest that looking back over a number of years it is clear that it's one position where players with little more than potential have earned their clubs a fair bit of money. John Ruddy went for £250k+ add-ons, Joe Hart went for £100k+ add-ons, Steve Simonsen went for £1m+ add-ons (although Tranmere never saw any of those add-ons), Jack Butland was one of the most highly rated young players around on the back of a handful of games for Brentford (including a shocker at Roots Hall), Peterborough turned down a couple of seven figure bids for Joe Lewis.

If Bentley played for Barry Fry we'd be fending off huge bids.

Not sure that I entirely agree with the point that YB is making here. English football doesn't produce very many good talented goalkeepers and actually I'd suggest that looking back over a number of years it is clear that it's one position where players with little more than potential have earned their clubs a fair bit of money. John Ruddy went for £250k+ add-ons, Joe Hart went for £100k+ add-ons, Steve Simonsen went for £1m+ add-ons (although Tranmere never saw any of those add-ons), Jack Butland was one of the most highly rated young players around on the back of a handful of games for Brentford (including a shocker at Roots Hall), Peterborough turned down a couple of seven figure bids for Joe Lewis.

If Bentley played for Barry Fry we'd be fending off huge bids.

These are all players who are/were in or around the England squad.

Are you putting Bentley in that category?

In re: to the Valencia academy comment, didn't Bentley come from Arsenal?

Teams will be more than aware of Bentley by now given his growing reputation which was emphasised by Sky Sports Scout report. Premier League clubs are monitoring kids in deprived countries, so they're hardly likely to miss this one.

It all depends on how he continues to progress and anyone hoping for a decent fee..... we are one of the most likely clubs in the football league to go bust, so I doubt teams will be breaking the bank for young Dan!

Back