• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

yes i get all the points of view but what concerns me is Murphy by all accounts is injury prone So if that happens and god forbid it doesnt .Where will the cover come from .Ok we have mat rush but against the bully boys in the national leauge he maybe a little light .So akinde makes sense .But that just my opinion .

Personally I would happily leave Akinde and Holmes alone, Akinde for so many reasons already stated, mostly wages, squad status and interest, and Holmes due to injury concerns and the need to build the team around him, which I don’t think he warrants.

Hopefully neither come off though I’d take Holmes as a cheap backup if he took a small wage and backup status.

Morning All,

Apologies as I have not read through the entire recent posts (which are obviously focussed on a much needed forward) but is there any rumours with respect to midfield players and specifically someone with a creative touch?

We certainly have the battlers sorted in Ferguson, Agogo and Dunne but we seem to be lacking that spark that will create something for the forwards. I would say Bridge but it looks like he will play wide.

Morning All,

Apologies as I have not read through the entire recent posts (which are obviously focussed on a much needed forward) but is there any rumours with respect to midfield players and specifically someone with a creative touch?

We certainly have the battlers sorted in Ferguson, Agogo and Dunne but we seem to be lacking that spark that will create something for the forwards. I would say Bridge but it looks like he will play wide.
Gard and Kineli are creative midfielders. With the right "muscle" and maturity alongside them they might be a real positive.

There is another aspect of John Akinde's possible transfer that is potentially worrying - it could impede the development of Sam Dalby. He showed exceptional promise on his debut in the friendly against Brentford and needs games in the National League if he is going to develop. In many ways, Dalby has a touch of Bill Garner about him and seems to have formed already a highly promising strike partnership with Rhys Murphy.

I do not buy the argument that Dalby may not be able to look after himself against the 'big brute' National League defenders. PB alluded to that in the recent Zoom discussion, but Dalby is 6'2" and good in the air, has a strong physique, and is a highly intelligent player. He can mix it up with uncompromising defenders and may be one step ahead of many of the centre-backs he will face at that level. Sure he has a lot of learning ahead, but as the old saying goes if a player is good enough he is old enough to be playing first team football.

If Akinde or someone like him is brought to the club, PB will feel obliged to justify the large outlay by playing him as regularly possible and that could restrict first team opportunities for Dalby.
Dalby should get a shot really at regular 1st team level. Really good player from what I've seen so far and that was against better opposition than NL.

Personally I would happily leave Akinde and Holmes alone, Akinde for so many reasons already stated, mostly wages, squad status and interest, and Holmes due to injury concerns and the need to build the team around him, which I don’t think he warrants.

Hopefully neither come off though I’d take Holmes as a cheap backup if he took a small wage and backup status.
The wage and length of contract are surely the vital issues here.

No akinde in the gillingham squad today and they have a new striker on the bench I think!! I know he picked up a knock the other day but not sure he’s properly injured…… is he on his way??

No akinde in the gillingham squad today and they have a new striker on the bench I think!! I know he picked up a knock the other day but not sure he’s properly injured…… is he on his way??
I know he wants to come to us but it’s with Ron Martin I think it’s to do with contract length and wages I hear he is in 3k a week at gillingham

I wonder if it is Akinde we are looking at. PB seemed surprised by the League One player's current wages. Seemingly we were set to sign Akinde in January so we would have known what he was on when we offered him our deal then? It could well be someone else in my view.

I wonder if it is Akinde we are looking at. PB seemed surprised by the League One player's current wages. Seemingly we were set to sign Akinde in January so we would have known what he was on when we offered him our deal then? It could well be someone else in my view.

Don't forget PB wasn't here then so quite understandable if he didn't know.

Not in the Gills squad but was warming up on the pitch before kick off.

There is another aspect of John Akinde's possible transfer that is potentially worrying - it could impede the development of Sam Dalby. He showed exceptional promise on his debut in the friendly against Brentford and needs games in the National League if he is going to develop. In many ways, Dalby has a touch of Bill Garner about him and seems to have formed already a highly promising strike partnership with Rhys Murphy.

I do not buy the argument that Dalby may not be able to look after himself against the 'big brute' National League defenders. PB alluded to that in the recent Zoom discussion, but Dalby is 6'2" and good in the air, has a strong physique, and is a highly intelligent player. He can mix it up with uncompromising defenders and may be one step ahead of many of the centre-backs he will face at that level. Sure he has a lot of learning ahead, but as the old saying goes if a player is good enough he is old enough to be playing first team football.

If Akinde or someone like him is brought to the club, PB will feel obliged to justify the large outlay by playing him as regularly possible and that could restrict first team opportunities for Dalby.
I see your point, but if theres a player in the squad scoring goals ahead of dalby i dont really care about his development ?

I see your point, but if theres a player in the squad scoring goals ahead of dalby i dont really care about his development ?

And if that happens he would be learning off the player in question during training and would have to work damn hard to get in to the first team.

Yuo should care about his developement , He developes as is hoped ,there could be a very good sell on for the club eventually andin the meantime he could be doing what Vardy did for the NL club he was with and score a hatful of goals for us and help us get out of this league .

Back