• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tv better than film

Down with this sort of thing

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
Over the last few years, TV wizzles all over films. I can't wait for new series' of Game Of Thrones, Fargo, Walking Dead, Orange ITNB, The Returned etc....and there's many fine British dramas too...Line of Duty, Happy Valley for example.

Films....I really can't remember the last great film I watched (it was probably Rush), and so many lauded films have been hugely overrated (such as 12 Afternoons as a Slave). The balance has certainly swung in favour of the box-set.

Thoughts?

TV has certainly taken a massive leap forward.

Film stars now look for big shows to appear in rather than the other way around.

I was with you until you used 12 years a slave as your example of an overrated film.

I think it is the case that bigger TV budgets have become both more cinematic but also more creative in the way they develop and show a good story. House of Cards, The Wire, Breaking Bad are recent examples of unique and interesting TV which were pretty groundbreaking. There is also a lot of generally good shows, including the ones you mention.

I saw some great films last year, and there seem to be some promising ones coming up (Cold in July, Interstellar etc). There still a role for a great 2 hour film and the cinema remains an experience. However i think some studios have come in for a bit of a shock in recent years.

TV has certainly taken a massive leap forward.

Film stars now look for big shows to appear in rather than the other way around.

The True Detective model definitely seems to work well, allowing film actors to commit to a few months, but no obligation to end up in series 5, 5 years later.

The Netflix release method is also pretty mega.

I was with you until you used 12 years a slave as your example of an overrated film.

It's alright but as I said at the time, there is no feeling of time passing. I've seen people lauding it as one of the greatest films ever made.....it's not. McQueen's other works are superior IMHO.

Anyway....telly...it's great!

Back