• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

UEA

chaco27saf

Manager
As some of you may recall I made a post a few months back about my plan to Study Abroad in Norwich this upcoming spring. At the beginning of the month I applied for an exchange to the University of East Anglia. The way the exchange program works is that an equal number of students from each school must participate in the program. The number of people who applied from my school (the University of Colorado) was 6, but the number from UEA was 0. So needless to say, I will not be attending UEA next spring.

However...

I will be attending the University of Lancaster (probably). There is a spot open for exchange with that school so most likely come this January, I will be in England. The only reason I'm not positive is because this program is slightly more expensive, but if I am able, I already have a spot reserved for me!

and it is also a long way from roots hall.
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canada shrimper @ Oct. 23 2004,19:13)]and it is also a long way from roots hall.  
sad.gif
Yeah, but its much closer than Colorado!
smile.gif

Even though it will cost quite a bit to get down to Southend, I'm still planning on making a couple trips down there. Are there any League 2 teams near Lancaster? Maybe I could make it to an away game also.

Hard lines with the UEA exchange... can't believe that no one from Norwich wanted to go to Colorado! Especially with the exchange happening in January... OK, so I imagine it's pretty damn cold in the mile-high City in January, but then I'm sure there's plenty of skiing to be done?!

rock.gif
sad.gif

Anyhow, fantastic news that you're likely to be coming to the UK, Seth. I think it's fair to say that, as a university, Lancaster's reputation is not as strong as that of UEA; and that (as someone has said) Lancaster's a lot further from Roots Hall. In addition, as a place to live, it will be an unusual experience - you're swapping a mediaeval East Anglian agrarian city for a industrial revolution Northern working town.

However, Lancaster is really well connected for going to see places - it's much less cut off than Norwich. It's also very near some of the most beautiful scenery and places in the UK - scenery which is a LOT more interesting than that in Norfolk. All of the following are within very easy striking distance of Lancaster:

* Blackpool (30 min)
* Lake District (45 min - 1h 30m)
* Manchester (1h 15m)
* Liverpool (1h 30m)
* Harrogate (2h)
* Leeds (2h 15m)
* York (2h 15m)
* Glasgow (2h 30m)
* Edinburgh (3h 15m)

As for football matches, we've got the following in that part of the world from the New Year onwards:

* Mansfield, 22nd January - it'll take you about 4 hours on public transport to get there, or about 3 h 15m to get to Nottingham (where, hopefully, someone could pick you up!).

* Bury, 26th February - **at Roots Hall**. This could be your first trip to the home of football, Seth! Bury is in Northern Manchester, so shouldn't take you too long to get there - there are direct trains from Lancaster to Bolton (taking c. 50 minutes), and then it's a bus ride (no. 524) from Bolton to Gigg Lane, Bury (40 mins), which drops you off practically outside the ground. You can then catch the Bury FC Supporters' Coach from Bury to Roots Hall - which is likely to be the cheapest and easiest way to get to the game. The Bury fans are a great bunch as well, so that should be a really easy way to do it. You'll need to monitor the Bury website to find out about coach times etc... you may need to leave Lancaster pretty early on the Saturday morning, and it may put you back at Lancaster VERY late on the Saturday evening - I haven't even managed to work out how you get back from Bury to Lancaster when you get back to Bury... I can get you as far as Preston (by taking the Metro back into Manchester), but then it looks like a taxi from Preston to Lancaster, which would be c. £20-30, I'd guess... Not a cheap trip, all told.

*Chester, 5th March 2005. This should be one of the easiest - a train to Crewe (@ 11.06 a.m.) and then one to Chester will take only 2 hours. Takes about 2h 50m going back.

*Cheltenham, 19th March 2005. Not a bad journey - takes 2h 45m if you catch the direct train at 10.08 a.m.! However, there doesn't appear to be a train back... (seriously!), so you might have to ask West Country Shrimper to introduce you to her female friends... There's a direct train back at 10.12 the next morning.

wink.gif

*Macclesfield, 9th April. This will be the easiest game for you to get to - 1h 45 mins going, 1h 56 mins returning.

None of the other games involving Southend look particularly easy for you to get to. However, there are plenty of football clubs to go and watch games at locally - you should find it very easy to get tickets to Blackburn (Premiership - their ground is almost never full), Preston (Championship - again, huge ground, rarely sold out) or Blackpool (League One) - all of which are less than 1 hour away from Lancaster.

Finally, with all these train journeys, make sure that you get a Young Person's RailCard - you'll get a third off all travel, which will definitely be worth it... you'll just need to take evidence that you're a full-time student and/or under 26 years old to the station in order to get one.

biggrin.gif

Look forward to seeing you in the UK, Seth!

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 25 2004,13:19)]* Glasgow (2h 30m)
* Edinburgh (3h 15m)
Oh & Seth, if you are ever up in either Glasgow or Edinburgh give me a shout & I'll buy you a beer!

I'll probably also be going to Chester and/or Macclesfield & will have to go past Lancaster to get there if you would like a lift.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 26 2004,11:04)]I'll probably also be going to Chester and/or Macclesfield & will have to go past Lancaster to get there if you would like a lift.
See you there... I always go to the North-West games, as it gives me an excuse to catch up with my mates who live up there.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 26 2004,11:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 26 2004,11:04)]I'll probably also be going to Chester and/or Macclesfield & will have to go past Lancaster to get there if you would like a lift.
See you there... I always go to the North-West games, as it gives me an excuse to catch up with my mates who live up there.

biggrin.gif
I too have mates in the Manchester area so more often than not am at the North-West games too.

Be good to catch up & finally put a face to the ID/email address!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 25 2004,12:19)]*Cheltenham, 19th March 2005.  Not a bad journey - takes 2h 45m if you catch the direct train at 10.08 a.m.!  However, there doesn't appear to be a train back... (seriously!), so you might have to ask West Country Shrimper to introduce you to her female friends...  There's a direct train back at 10.12 the next morning.

wink.gif
The ground is only 15 mins walk from mine
biggrin.gif

Yeah be more than welcome to show you lot round and have a good time in the evening
smile.gif

The hotels are nice round here, as you all can't stay round mine
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 26 2004,14:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 25 2004,12:19)]*Cheltenham, 19th March 2005.  Not a bad journey - takes 2h 45m if you catch the direct train at 10.08 a.m.!  However, there doesn't appear to be a train back... (seriously!), so you might have to ask West Country Shrimper to introduce you to her female friends...  There's a direct train back at 10.12 the next morning.

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah be more than welcome to show you lot round and have a good time in the evening
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
Merely suggesting that you or one of your female mates saves a bit of sofa-space for our young Coloradan student, Hils... I'm not suggesting that the whole of the Southend away contingent crash at yours...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Oct. 26 2004,12:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]See you there... I always go to the North-West games, as it gives me an excuse to catch up with my mates who live up there.
you sound like a bloody tour guide!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

also GET BACK TO WORK
laugh.gif
Oi, bossy! Just helping the young lad out...

tounge.gif

As for the latter, there'd be no fun if you were my boss, clearly...

laugh.gif
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Oct. 26 2004,14:24)]I too have mates in the Manchester area so more often than not am at the North-West games too.

Be good to catch up & finally put a face to the ID/email address!
Indeed... will swap phone details nearer the time!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 26 2004,14:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 26 2004,14:58)]
[b said:

wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Merely suggesting that you or one of your female mates saves a bit of sofa-space for our young Coloradan student, Hils... I'm not suggesting that the whole of the Southend away contingent crash at yours...

tounge.gif
I should bloody hope not!

BTW, I have a room to myself, we dont have a front room etc. We just share the kitchen. The only thing I have in my room is a bed and 2 chairs.

But I have been given the biggest room out of the block here, because i'm special
biggrin.gif
I can fit in a couple of people in my room. First come, first served, so to speak  
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 26 2004,16:03)]I can fit in a couple of people in my room. First come, first served, so to speak
Well, save one of those spaces for Seth then... he's coming all the way from Colorado, after all (albeit via Lancaster!).

wink.gif

As for the "served" bit... blimey, maybe I should reserve the other space!!

laugh.gif
tounge.gif

Hold on, if you're my sister...

ghostface.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 26 2004,15:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Oct. 26 2004,16:03)]I can fit in a couple of people in my room. First come, first served, so to speak
Well, save one of those spaces for Seth then... he's coming all the way from Colorado, after all (albeit via Lancaster!).

wink.gif

As for the "served" bit... blimey, maybe I should reserve the other space!!

laugh.gif

tounge.gif

Hold on, if you're my sister...

ghostface.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Hilary, you've come across in a very slutty manor in those few posts. Or is it just me taking everything the wrong way!?
laugh.gif

Oh, and you definetly are special, in your own little way ...

wow.gif
tounge.gif

Thanks Matt, your guide will be very useful come this spring. I've actually already printed your post so I can use it when I get over there! I should know for sure if I'm going by the end of the week, right now I'm just trying to secure some student loans, but as of today I'm 95% sure I'm going. I'm really looking forward to meet as many of y'all as possible when I go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Oct. 26 2004,19:24)]Hilary, you've come across in a very slutty manor in those few posts. Or is it just me taking everything the wrong way!?
laugh.gif

Oh, and you definetly are special, in your own little way ...

wow.gif
tounge.gif
Havent you heard of a joke?

BTW, I hope ur happy as your gonna be a dad in the next couple of months
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Back