• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

UK Independence

Irate Ian

Members
VAT was more than doubled from 8 to 17.5% to fund our joining the EU.

In these harsh financial times does anyone feel that we simply cannot afford the luxury of retaining EU membership.

Does anyone know the total cost to the country and per person ?

It is £1000 for every adult p.a. £80 per month each !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Nothing to do with these harsh financial times, I've felt we can't afford membership of the EU for along time.

My fear is that we cannot afford not to be part of the EU once the "eurozone" gets its act together.

tbh, I do hate all the EU bashing that goes on in this country. There are a huge number of reasons why our membership of the EU is vital for our prosperity.

tbh, I do hate all the EU bashing that goes on in this country. There are a huge number of reasons why our membership of the EU is vital for our prosperity.

I remain completely unconvinced I'm afraid, as a free enterprise we would be able to trade freely with who we wish without having to subsidise countries and groups like the French farmers.

Don't forget, there were 2 rates of VAT at once - the 8% as stated but also the 25% for "luxury" items- acoustic guitar strings were 8% yet electric were 25%. That was around 1972, maybe a tad before.
French VAT is currently 19.6%.

Don't forget, there were 2 rates of VAT at once - the 8% as stated but also the 25% for "luxury" items- acoustic guitar strings were 8% yet electric were 25%. That was around 1972, maybe a tad before.
French VAT is currently 19.6%.

also our registration threshold is higher than most eu states.

The reason we're in the EC is, or at least should be, because it's been our foreign policy for the past few hundred years. To keep the rest of Europe fighting amongst themselves!

Green on its way for that one. Probably the finest reason but I'm still not convinced.

In these harsh financial times does anyone feel that we simply cannot afford the luxury of retaining EU membership.

That isn't quite true VAT at 5% was introduced on us joining the Common Market (EEC) in 1972. I believe it went up to 8% in the 70's and then to 17.5% in the early 90's.

Do fire away with all the benefits of being in the EU. I mean for this country not everyone else.

The only good reason I can give for membership is free trade between EU countries, freight no longer has to be customs cleared and can move freely from door to door. I believe this was one of the major selling points to us. Political Union was definitely not on the agenda as far as I recall. However as we now know a United States of Europe was the hidden agenda.

Political Union was definitely not on the agenda as far as I recall. However as we now know a United States of Europe was the hidden agenda.

And that's exactly how we were handed a poisoned challis and why we should have a proper referendum on it. Ted Heath sold us a complete dummy.

Was it. I thought we joined the EU in 73 and introduced VAT in 74.

It would be complete economic suicide to withdraw from the EU. Our import / export businesses would completely collapse as they would have to pay higher rates of import / export duties and tariffs.

Does anyone know the figures of the actual costs to he country as a whole each year and per capita ?

I was going from memory of the introduction and later hikes in rate of vat rates to pay for our EU membership, so any "point scoring" on the minutia is a distraction from the main point.

Given that we are 42nd and one off the bottom of debt league compared with GDP, only USA below us - we are in the poop financially and is there any other way out of it than removing ourselves from this massive financial burden ??

Thank God we retained the £, as without it our bridges would be burnt.

That isn't quite true VAT at 5% was introduced on us joining the Common Market (EEC) in 1972. I believe it went up to 8% in the 70's and then to 17.5% in the early 90's.

The only good reason I can give for membership is free trade between EU countries, freight no longer has to be customs cleared and can move freely from door to door. I believe this was one of the major selling points to us. Political Union was definitely not on the agenda as far as I recall. However as we now know a United States of Europe was the hidden agenda.

I'm sure VAT was at 15% for a large proportion of the 80s too, though obviously a bit young to remember properly :)

Was it. I thought we joined the EU in 73 and introduced VAT in 74.

It would be complete economic suicide to withdraw from the EU. Our import / export businesses would completely collapse as they would have to pay higher rates of import / export duties and tariffs.

There is no such thing as free cross border trade in the EU, despite that being what may have been intended.

Just take a day trip to France and see what restrictions are in place.

Whilst others might impose higher import duties, we could do likewise to restore any inbalance.

Would suspect we trade with other non EU countries very succesfully, China, Japan, USA, Aus, NZ, Canada, Africa, South Americas, Indonesia etc etc etc, so why the fear of Independence ?

There is no such thing as free cross border trade in the EU, despite that being what may have been intended.

Just take a day trip to France and see what restrictions are in place.

Whilst others might impose higher import duties, we could do likewise to restore any inbalance.

Would suspect we trade with other non EU countries very succesfully, China, Japan, USA, Aus, NZ, Canada, Africa, South Americas, Indonesia etc etc etc, so why the fear of Independence ?

Sorry Ian but you are wrong, as an individual you may well have to pay duty on goods you buy and bring back to the country. As a business free trade is the norm, all freight between EC/EU countries moves free of Duty & Tax. There are certain items such as cigarettes/alcohol/coins etc which move under bond within the free trade area and the individual country's duties are added to these for retail sale.

We do indeed trade massively with other countries, but as an importer you will pay Import duty & VAT to HM Customs & Excise.

Back