• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Ron Martin

Benfleet_Blue

I fear for the fact that if we get a horrible run of bad luck what we have been getting recently and we are in the bottom 3 or 4 come X-Mas.

Will Mr Martin starting sharpening the knives?
sad.gif

I am still unconvinced at the moment by Tilly and he still has not learnt about using subs effectively and use them so that they have more than 5 minutes to make a impact.

As much as I would hate to see Steve go, it makes you wonder what Mr Martin is currently thinking. I will give tillly till next season and see where we are at.

Thoughts?

If Tilly doesn't think he can do the job, then he'll walk.

But we are a long way away from that.

It is very early on. Have patience.

Uncle Ron has shown alot of backing for Tilly and i do believe he will give him a very fair go but his not stupid, if the club are in real danger of slipping into the conference then im sure he will act and understandably so. But im pretty sure he won't sack Tilly unless we are really doing poor over a period of time.

Tilson has a number of things to learn but its a learning curve however i truly believe a director of football or someone older may well help him, Brush obviously is experenced to a certain extent but not enough in the managerial side of things. Andy Ford might be a good choice for a director of football, give Tilly a hand, scouting and use his experence of non league setup. Still Tilly is still doing a good job.

we are very good going foward but a little weak at the back at times .I dont think it was a great idear that we brought in two old boys in defence but there hear now so its no good moaning .Tilly got it right last season and I feel he will get it right again this term . We were good enough to beat wycomb but not the lino as well .Maybe we should offer canvey some new caravans for there striker .
smile.gif

Tilly's plans were for a central defence combining the experience of Eagle with the youth of Cort. These plans were buggered up when Leon went and signed for Hull.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleet_Blue @ Sep. 13 2004,00:28)]I fear for the fact that if we get a horrible run of bad luck what we have been getting recently and we are in the bottom 3 or 4 come X-Mas.

Will Mr Martin starting sharpening the knives?
sad.gif

I am still unconvinced at the moment by Tilly and he still has not learnt about using subs effectively and use them so that they have more than 5 minutes to make a impact.

As much as I would hate to see Steve go, it makes you wonder what Mr Martin is currently thinking. I will give tillly till next season and see where we are at.

Thoughts?
Substitutions and closing the barn door after the horse has bolted is what I hear you saying... however the simple truth is that at the point where the substitution was about to be made, we were 1-1 and then they scored their second! this made it all the more important to get fresh legs on the field.

In the case of Gower, I think he could have been subbed after 70 minutes... he wasn't tracking back and appeared to be completely done in! when he was substituted, he looked absolutely knackered.

We definitely need another outlet down the left flank, as I think Mark Gower needs to find something in his game... and a short spell on the bench may just do that! let's see Corbett get a run-out!

It's a bit too early to be discussing where we will be by Xmas and we don't need doom and gloom right now... we've picked up six points from the last three games, which is not relegation form and we are three places higher than the start of those three games, which is positive progress in my eyes!!!

Leave Tilson & Brush to get things sorted and they'll come good.

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 13 2004,10:33)]Tilly's plans were for a central defence combining the experience of Eagle with the youth of Cort. These plans were buggered up when Leon went and signed for Hull.
Not sure about that. From early on it seemed that Cort was going to leave and he did.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (petejan @ Sep. 13 2004,08:35)]we are very good going foward
Are we? I reckon we'd have killed Wycombe off, beaten Cambridge and scored at least one goal at Rochdale if that were true.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gremlin @ Sep. 13 2004,10:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (petejan @ Sep. 13 2004,08:35)]we are very good going foward
Are we? I reckon we'd have killed Wycombe off, beaten Cambridge and scored at least one goal at Rochdale if that were true.
From what I've heard, we are good at going forward. There's a difference between 'going forward' and 'finishing' or 'taking our chances' once we are forward... and that's where, IMHO, we are letting ourselves down!

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 13 2004,02:28)]Uncle Ron has shown alot of backing for Tilly and i do believe he will give him a very fair go but his not stupid, if the club are in real danger of slipping into the conference then im sure he will act and understandably so.
Why understandably so? Tilly is a new young manager and Brush has a bit more experience. Not that I WANT it to happen, but if we were to go down and stick with that duo and next year we storm the conference and then the 3rd etc cos Tilly and Brush have had time to learn and gel.

Whats the point of swapping the managers every year *just* to narrowly avoid the conference. I think now we have Tilly and Brush its time to stick with them for at least 3 years (unless we never win another game!
smile.gif
etc) but lets have some continuity now - whatever the consequences...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (petejan @ Sep. 13 2004,08:35)]we are very good going foward but a little weak at the back at times .I dont think it was a great idear that we brought in two old boys in defence but there hear now so its no good moaning .Tilly got it right last season and I feel he will get it right again this term . We were good enough to beat wycomb but not the lino as well .Maybe we should offer canvey some new caravans for there striker .
smile.gif
I don't think the right word for our back line is weak, I think it's that we're slow. Prior shows some great vision sometimes cutting out passes and generally headers are cleared. We lost one game becuase of the linesman and a good strike why start even contemplating Tilson's demise, it's spurious!

Tilly and Brush are definately the two men too take this club forward whether its this year or next i truly believe we will get it right.

This club has had too many managers ie: Whelan and Wignell who haven't got the clubs best interests at heart and we need to give our current bosses the chance to get things right because they want it as much as we do.

I still think we was wrong to give Newman the Axe and if he wa in charge now we would be going places.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 13 2004,09:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 13 2004,02:28)]Uncle Ron has shown alot of backing for Tilly and i do believe he will give him a very fair go but his not stupid, if the club are in real danger of slipping into the conference then im sure he will act and understandably so.
Why understandably so? Tilly is a new young manager and Brush has a bit more experience. Not that I WANT it to happen, but if we were to go down and stick with that duo and next year we storm the conference and then the 3rd etc cos Tilly and Brush have had time to learn and gel.

Whats the point of swapping the managers every year *just* to narrowly avoid the conference. I think now we have Tilly and Brush its time to stick with them for at least 3 years (unless we never win another game!  
smile.gif
Well the conference could be life threatening for this club, it would truly be devastating.

I believe Martin will keep the faith with Tilly unless we really are in danger of slipping down (or go on a run whereby we are really playing bad football and slipping down the table)

But i do agree Tilson and Brush do look like they may be here in the long term although budget allowing id like to see a DOF.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 13 2004,11:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Sep. 13 2004,09:56)]
[b said:

smile.gif
Well the conference could be life threatening for this club, it would truly be devastating.
I think the league we're currently rooted in is just as life threatening for this club. I'm not sure the Conference is the step down it use to be... the fear is that our free-fall may not stop there and THAT would have the 'devastating' impact.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ Sep. 13 2004,03:23)]Tilly and Brush are definately the two men too take this club forward whether its this year or next i truly believe we will get it right.

This club has had too many managers ie: Whelan and Wignell who haven't got the clubs best interests at heart and we need to give our current bosses the chance to get things right because they want it as much as we do.

I still think we was wrong to give Newman the Axe and if he wa in charge now we would be going places.
I agree, even if you compare post match comments from Wignall and Tilly, you can see that Tilly actually cares about this club. Also, this club needs something that it hasn't had in years, consistancy at the managerial level. Even if we are still around the relegation spots come December, I'll personally be upset if Tilly is let go.

What ou have to remember is that every manager has their unique managing style. different styles bring success and it is a matter of time before it works to if the team are not used to it.

One thing you have to remember though is that it doesn't always work.

some managers change the formation, some change personnel mostly into the second half. although there are a number of managers that make subs in the first half if they have had enough of someone's poor performance.

tilly may simply have thought his players he had out their were the best for the job of getting a goal back. He may have thought there fitness was still good.

Unfortunately we can't bring on Reyes from the bench or pires for example and subs seem to have less impact at this level and a change of formation is often the best option.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 13 2004,02:28)]i truly believe a director of football or someone older may well help him, Brush obviously is experenced to a certain extent but not enough in the managerial side of things. Andy Ford might be a good choice for a director of football
Could you just run me through the wealth of league playing & management experience that Andy Ford has that would make him a GOOD choice as a director of football at SUFC.

Many thanks.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Sep. 13 2004,11:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 13 2004,02:28)]i truly believe a director of football or someone older may well help him, Brush obviously is experenced to a certain extent but not enough in the managerial side of things. Andy Ford might be a good choice for a director of football
Could you just run me through the wealth of league playing & management experience that Andy Ford has that would make him a GOOD choice as a director of football at SUFC.

Many thanks.  
rock.gif
Well obviously i can't do that and of course theres better people for the job but him or someone like him might be able to help the club move forward.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 13 2004,11:48)]Well obviously .......
.........I knew that which is why I asked.  

Just FYI he's managed only one team, who I believe are still one of the part-time clubs left in the conference, so why on earth we would want to appoint someone with that pedigree as a director of football at a professional league club defeats me.  But then as you know most things you say do!  
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Sep. 13 2004,12:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 13 2004,11:48)]Well obviously .......
.........I knew that which is why I asked.  

Just FYI he's managed only one team, who I believe are still one of the part-time clubs left in the conference, so why on earth we would want to appoint someone with that pedigree as a director of football at a professional league club defeats me.  But then as you know most things you say do!  
wow.gif
Indeed but his shown he can work well within a small setup with a limited budget, if you hadn't noticed we ourselfs have a small budget to work with, Im sure he has a very good knewledge of non league football which can be extremmly handly at times, plus im sure he wouldn't cost too much and location wise it could appeal to him.

Who do you suggest ?

Back