• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

under rated Players

shrimper_sam

Manager
who is the most under rated player to ever kick a ball for southend?!
upside.gif

Dead heat between Forbsey and Steve Clarke.

Serously I think Mark McNally was a class act whno should have gone on to do much more than he ever did.

ghostface.gif

I used to say it was Kevin Maher but most people seem to rate him now!

Another guy that split opinions was Jon Hunt. I was firmly in the pro-Hunt camp. Genuinely two-footed and could play in both full-back positions and both wide midfield positions. I'd have him over Gower in the present side any day

I'd second the McNally vote, he was quality. Carruthers, although not neccesarily under-rated, deserves a lot of plaudits for what he brought to some pretty awful Southend sides.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flashing Blade @ Aug. 09 2006,23:07)]Another guy that split opinions was Jon Hunt. I was firmly in the pro-Hunt camp. Genuinely two-footed and could play in both full-back positions and both wide midfield positions. I'd have him over Gower in the present side any day
Great shout, fully agree.

Hunt certainly split opinions. I remember some years ago on the yahoo list there being a "why did we sell them " vs "How did we sell them" debate. Hunt appeared in both lists.

Justin Edinburgh was another one who wenton to far greater things than he looked capable of whilst in a blue shirt.

Dean Austin didn't get all the credit he deserved either, although he was well liked I always felt he was a class act.

Another couple of players who were not rated at the time but went on to better things were Shane Westley and Gary Nelson (and in Westley's case I will never see how he got into the Wolves side)

Che Wilson. Virtually ever present during back to back promotions for this club despite playing out of his favoured position. Always gives 100%, good header of the ball and strong in the tackle. Also, one of the nicest guys in the squad, with plenty of time for the fans. Never really had a particularly fair press on here and despite all his efforts during the clubs success he seems to have been forgotten?!

Based on recent threads, Spencer Prior.

And the most over-rated at present, Adam Barrett. Sorry Adam, fist pumping and surging forward runs do not make a Championship defender. Was lucky to get away with it against Stoke and came very unstuck against Palace. A terrific servant and totally committed to the cause but you need more at this level. Time for Clarke I'm afraid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper_sam @ Aug. 10 2006,12:55)]I also Vote for Che - Strong runner and is always on freddys heals for the goldon boot award  
tounge.gif
Come on be fair, dont you think he deserves a golden boot just for that wonderful moment against the farmers?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper_sam @ Aug. 10 2006,12:55)]I also Vote for Che - Strong runner and is always on freddys heals for the goldon boot award  
tounge.gif
I think this post begs the question just how good (or should that be god?) is Mr Eastwood.

Maybe he really is the saviour.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 10 2006,13:59)]
[b said:
tounge.gif
I think this post begs the question just how good (or should that be god?) is Mr Eastwood.

Maybe he really is the saviour.
No but he should become a good prophet aslong as Derby dont get there preys awnsered!
biggrin.gif

Actually that shout about Grids probably isn't a bad call on the basis that nobody rates him. His midfield partnership with Ronnie Whelan was one of the best midfield combination I've seen play for us. I think he started to believe his own hype, but when he was willing to do the leg work he did a great job for us. Dave Martin is another one who did a similar role and although he now seems to be getting the respect for it that he earnt towards the end of the career not many seemed to appreciate him.

Mark McNally was class when he first came into the team. His form was shocking second season though and he looked a shadow of himself.

Jon Hunt should have been a premier$hite regular, but like Paul Byrne and Ricky Otto has only got himself to blame.

Back