• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

University degrees.

pringlejon

Pringello Indexinator
I'm in my second year doing a maths degree at bath uni (in the top 5 for maths). However, just got my first set of marks for semester one exams and got a 2:2.

It seems most grad jobs ask for a 2:1. I know that if i'd have gone to a different uni doing an easier degree, then the work is easier and i could get a 2:1, but as things stand i can't see me getting one here!

So basically what i'm asking you lot is, is the degree and place of study held in very high regard or would a guy with a 2:1 in psychology at say southampton(not insulting anyone doing psychology at southampton) be held in higher regard than a 2:2 at maths in bath?

Last edited:
I'm in my second year doing a maths degree at bath uni (in the top 5 for maths). However, just got my first set of marks for semester one exams and got a 2:2.

It seems most grad jobs ask for a 2:1. I know that if i'd have gone to a different uni doing an easier degree, then the work is easier and i could get a 2:1, but as things stand i can't see me getting one here!

So basically what i'm asking you lot is, is the degree and place of study held in very high regard or would a guy with a 2:1 in psychology at say southampton(not insulting anyone doing psychology at southampton) be held in higher regard than a 2:2 at maths in bath?

''I've got one Art O level, it did nothing for me...'' (The Specials, 'Rat Race')

It will depend what sort of job you are going for mate. In fairness some jobs ask for a 2:1 and don't specify the course or whatever, but if you have a decent employor who knows his onions they should know the difference between a tin pot degree and a tin pot Uni and a good one. I wouldn't have picked psychology though, ha ha, I am sure there are worse ones you could have picked.

It will depend what sort of job you are going for mate. In fairness some jobs ask for a 2:1 and don't specify the course or whatever, but if you have a decent employor who knows his onions they should know the difference between a tin pot degree and a tin pot Uni and a good one. I wouldn't have picked psychology though, ha ha, I am sure there are worse ones you could have picked.

Be careful what you all say next as I do Film Studies! It is not a mickey mouse degree! I have lots of work and reading to do!

hahaha, i'm treading thin ice here lol.

If you are looking for any old job then a 2:1 would probably be handy. For example in betewen my degree and masters I worked for an office sales company who asked (at the time) for a 2:1 in a degree.

But the way the job situation is at the moment I hope for your sake you aren't in your third year.

If you are looking for any old job then a 2:1 would probably be handy. For example in betewen my degree and masters I worked for an office sales company who asked (at the time) for a 2:1 in a degree.

But the way the job situation is at the moment I hope for your sake you aren't in your third year.

Thats my excuse for not doing my work at the moment.

hahaha, i'm treading thin ice here lol.

Don't worry about it, I'm used to people bad mouthing my degree. I just get kind of defensive about it sometimes as at the end of the day, I am spending quite a bit of money to do it and I do have to do a (suprising to most people) fair amount of work..... although even I sometimes have to laugh at some of it!

Thankfully (???) I have another year left when I come back otherwise I would be very worried at the moment. Because as much as I'd like to believe that employers see you have a degree and so therefore have the knowledge to collect and present your ideas clearly (which at the end of it all you would get with pretty much any degree), the realistic part of me is thinking that in the current state of affairs employers are starting to get a bit more picky in the type of graduates they employ. All I can hope for is that I have good blagging skills and can explain why I wanted to do film studies instead of a "proper" degree.

Thankfully (???) I have another year left when I come back otherwise I would be very worried at the moment. Because as much as I'd like to believe that employers see you have a degree and so therefore have the knowledge to collect and present your ideas clearly (which at the end of it all you would get with pretty much any degree), the realistic part of me is thinking that in the current state of affairs employers are starting to get a bit more picky in the type of graduates they employ. All I can hope for is that I have good blagging skills and can explain why I wanted to do film studies instead of a "proper" degree.

It's not the end of the world though if you don't think there will be much work going when you finish. Carry on and do a Master's or Doctorate while the economy is in the ****...at least you are bumping up your value to future potential employers a few years down the road, and doing something while things are tough and jobs hard to come by currently.

When I finished my degree, I couldn't get a job, so went on to do a Masters. No work around when that was finished last year, so have gone on and am now doing a PhD. Surely something will be around in 3 years!! :unsure:

Quit Uni and go get a job.

The lot of you.

Quit Uni and go get a job.

The lot of you.

everyone who's goes portsmouth, is getting really cocky now, including myself cause we are now the 5th best modern uni in the UK, and we got in while the required UCAS points were only 260ish, and I'm pretty sure they will up this to around 300 cause we are the fricken tits.

am fairly confident when i leave uni in 2 and 1/2 years i will be able to get a job in the city, as despite still being in a recession an employer would rather give the job to, just as qualified - enthusastic people, than 40 year old men who want 10 grand more than i would ask for and have already broke the banking economy once ie dimlows.
failing to get a job in London i would go travelling/find a job abroad or a cheeky little combination of them both :)

What's a modern uni? And it's only that picture of Lord Mark of Bentley that prevents me from ripping the **** out of most of this post.

From what Ive seen (mainly limited to my field but also through seeing mates looking for jobs) a 2:1 is imperitive to securing a [decent] Job. With the job market how it is at the moment if I was at uni now I would be busting a gut to get a 2:1, even if that meant skipping a few Wednesday night drinking frenzies and getting to the library rather than watching countdown eating last nights pizza.

If I could do it all again, I would probably not have gone to uni from a career point of view. If you are looking for a profession that requires a degree (as mine does) then Uni is a good idea, and if you can afford the 3 years it is a great experience, but when I finished my degree I really did feel three years behind my mates who had got jobs straight from school.

But back to the question, I really do feel a 2:1 will greatly improve your future prospects. Ive rarely seen a job advertised seeking a candidate from 'a good university' but have seen lots of positions requiring a 2:2. If you went to an Oxbridge, Durham, Warwick etc that may compensate for a 2:2, but otherwise, get your head down and pull that 2:1 out the bag!!

2:2s are the laughing stock of the graduate employment world. Now, more than ever is the time to pull your socks up

ps modern university? dont make me laugh, it's a poly.

2:2s are the laughing stock of the graduate employment world. Now, more than ever is the time to pull your socks up

Thanks for clearing that up Nap, I had a feeling that was what he was on about. I know that many employers look past the degree (which as you rightfully say, needs to be a 2:1 to count for anything) to A Level Results - essentially disqualifying those who scraped into 'Modern Universities' via the clearing system.

My best mate got a first at Cambridge many moons ago but he's never worried himself about any of this status nonsense. He was at his happiest work-wise running a post office where he could play music he liked...till it got shut down last year.

do your research bruv and ya might still make something outer yourself, we haven't been a poly for 17 years silly boy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_University

http://www.port.ac.uk/aboutus/newsandevents/frontpagenews/title,92393,en.html

http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/faculties/portsmouthbusinessschool/

need a leg to stand on mate, cause you ain't got one.

And rusty i respect you for the mutual love of benno, however feel free to rip the **** outta it, your not gonna get very far

Because as much as I'd like to believe that employers see you have a degree and so therefore have the knowledge to collect and present your ideas clearly (which at the end of it all you would get with pretty much any degree), the realistic part of me is thinking that in the current state of affairs employers are starting to get a bit more picky in the type of graduates they employ.

I think you over estimate the regard in which employers hold degrees.

Employers use a degree to decide which CVs to put in the bin.

If you make it to an interview then they will decide if you are a complete ****wit or not.

Last edited:
Back