• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

University "hazing"

MK Shrimper

Striker
Now I have to admit that I thought that this only when on in America or at Oxbridge, but according to the BBC this is happening all over the country! Has any Uni bods have any experience of this?

Like an initiation test to get into a gang or whatever, they have to perform meaningless humiliating taks.

"We had to put matches in private, inappropriate areas and set them on fire whilst drinking more beer. I did it to be accepted by the older guys at the time.

"It was a bit tormenting, but if you didn't do it you would get called a wuss".

I'm suprised this chap wasn't on a full scholarship at Oxford/Cambrige/Yale/Harvard.

Like an initiation test to get into a gang or whatever, they have to perform meaningless humiliating taks.

Didn't partake of the Pizza Hut Chess Society then, where I hear it's Hide The pawn and prawn?

Saw a bit on BBC this morning - they had a video of some students in Gloucester being marched around the town by another student who was dressed as a Nazi. They all had plastic bags on their heads and were being forced to drink until they were sick (apart from the Nazi that is). What larks.

Saw a bit on BBC this morning - they had a video of some students in Gloucester being marched around the town by another student who was dressed as a Nazi. They all had plastic bags on their heads and were being forced to drink until they were sick (apart from the Nazi that is). What larks.

I'd say our future leaders of men, but Gloucester? Future IT support and jaded teachers more like :D

Nope certainly none of that when i was a Uni. First night at uni mainly consisted of going out with new flatmates, and getting plastered.

In order to join ShrimperZone FC you have to spend an evening in a Travelodge with Shrimpersarmy and Yorkshire Bambi.

I think these sort of things are quite common in Gloucestershire - they go hand in hand with burying lodgers under the patio.

Hazing in the army was quite commonplace, we went with the old Spartan ritual of having an initiate return to Sandhurst with the head of a tealady from the Camberley area. Then he had to do things to it. I'll leave it there.....

I go to this Uni and play sport so its something that most people do. I actually know the guy dressed as the Nazi and the others that stand around and watched.

The whole thing is meant as a laugh, yes you drink more than you normally would (even on a student night!) but its all fun and the older guys all look after you. When you become a 2nd or 3rd year you are assigned a fresher for the night, basically you keep hold of their keys, wallet and phone so they dont get lost and if the fresher needs to go home you take them home.

The initiations aren't compulsary, we've had plenty of peoople that haven't wanted to do it, they dont get treated any differently if they choose not to do it. I actually thought my intiation was one of the best nights of my freshers year!

It definitely goes on in Exeter, despite the attempts to stop it after a lad sadly died in the first year at a pub golf social. It seems he wasn't very used to the drink and had clearly had much more to drink than he'd ever had in his life before. What was even more stupid was that he left alone to head down to the quayside where he was supposed to be meeting some friends of his at a nightclub. He was found the next morning, having died of exposure, among other things.

The university's Athletics Union have officially banned all these kinds of initiations where heavy drinking is encouraged but ultimately, we are all adults and you have to learn your limits at some point. We've all had experiences where we and our friends have had too much to drink but usually you help each other out, particularly the girls and make sure that everyone gets home safely. I went much too far on 2 occasions last year and know for a fact that on one of those I was extremely lucky to get home in one piece. All part of being a student I guess!

It definitely goes on in Exeter, despite the attempts to stop it after a lad sadly died in the first year at a pub golf social. It seems he wasn't very used to the drink and had clearly had much more to drink than he'd ever had in his life before. What was even more stupid was that he left alone to head down to the quayside where he was supposed to be meeting some friends of his at a nightclub. He was found the next morning, having died of exposure, among other things.

The university's Athletics Union have officially banned all these kinds of initiations where heavy drinking is encouraged but ultimately, we are all adults and you have to learn your limits at some point. We've all had experiences where we and our friends have had too much to drink but usually you help each other out, particularly the girls and make sure that everyone gets home safely. I went much too far on 2 occasions last year and know for a fact that on one of those I was extremely lucky to get home in one piece. All part of being a student I guess!

These two statements don't belong in the same paragraph in my opinion.

Back