• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Updates from the OS...

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Round up of the news on the OS:

Barnard Signs for the Saints

* Fee - undisclosed (rumoured to be £175K)
* Scott Malone's loan deal from Wolves extended until the end of the season
* Ron Martin hopeful of bringing in another centre half
* Blues also looking at perhaps a loan for another striker until the end of the season (Akinbiyi, as rumoured on here? Unlikely, but who knows?)

Matt Paterson joins the Shrimpers

* 20 year-old
* Free Transfer
* Signs until summer 2012 with option of another year (option is mentioned in the Barnard article, oddly)
* Said to be a "separate" deal from the Barnard one.

M'Voto comes through unscathed

* Jean-Yves M'Voto comes through 45 mins of reserve team football without injury
* Said to be feeling very upbeat about being injury-free
* Not yet fit enough for first team action

Although I'm sad to see Barney go, he's injury-prone, we got a decent fee for him, and he would (almost certainly) have left at the end of the season for nothing.

I don't know about you folks, but those three stories sound to me like the nearest thing to unqualified good news we've had in an awfully long time. Credit to the club for that.

If I hear news of the club repaying SUSCT's loan, then that would really cap off a great week's work!

:clap:

Yeah getting a replacement in for Barney straight away definitely softens the blow, and Paterson he's young and apparently highly thought off by Saints fans! And he is actually ours!!

Wycombe have brought in Jordan Spence from Hammers for a one month loan.
Not sure how Barney's departure will effect team morale. I am going to lump on under 3 goals tomorrow.

A permanent CB should apparently be arriving soon.

All in all a pretty good day I reckon!

Well done RM, ST and everyone at SUFC.

All the best Lee, you'll be missed!

Its good to have some new faces who will all be keen to prove themselves and do well. We've so badly needed a proper freshen-up of the squad & the new signings look positive (i'm including M'voto in that statement). Two talanted young strikers, plus another CB or so we're told.

At last some real competiton in the squad. I think in most of our hearts Barny had already left, so lets look forward & upwards. All in all a good day so far..

Added to the above - I know its only the 22nd of the month, but remember that three weeks ago we thought we were loosing Francis, Barney and Macca and there was an assumption that we would not be buying anyone. We also have Betsy and Revell of the wage bill now and have two new CF's in Patteson and Spencer.

Revell can't play tomorrow and make us look dumb. I'm not saying everything is rosy- but it could have been (and still could be if you want to be persamistic) a lot lot worse

Am I right in thinking that, if it's a permanent signing, in order for him to be eligible for tomorrow it has to be registered with the league by 5pm?

Am I right in thinking that, if it's a permanent signing, in order for him to be eligible for tomorrow it has to be registered with the league by 5pm?

Wasnt it Neil Mellor at West Ham who signed in the early hours (loan) and made his way up the motorway and first time he met his team mates was at the team hotel or at the ground.

Why is everyone so happy? I've seen things like 'a good day so far' 'best news we have had for a long time'.
We have just lost our best player, hardly a cause for celebration.

However, what impact his loss will have obviously depends on the quality of his replacements. We cant judge that until we have seen them for a while, I couldn't care less what Saints fan think of Paterson.

That said, I think I will faint if we actually sign a permanent centre back, didn't think we did things like that. Last one was Richards I believe which is actually a scandalous situation.

Why is everyone so happy? I've seen things like 'a good day so far' 'best news we have had for a long time'.

However, what impact his loss will have obviously depends on the quality of his replacements. We cant judge that until we have seen them for a while, I couldn't care less what Saints fan think of Paterson.

That said, I think I will faint if we actually sign a permanent centre back, didn't think we did things like that. Last one was Richards I believe which is actually a scandalous situation.

It was inevitable that he was going in this window... we've got a tidy fee for him and a decent player for free in return. Therefore I think all round it's been pretty good.

It was inevitable that he was going in this window... we've got a tidy fee for him and a decent player for free in return. Therefore I think all round it's been pretty good.

The fact it was inevitable doesn't make it good. Granted, financially I dont think we can complain. If you have seen Paterson and he is decent then fair enough, however I have never seen him so I wouldn't want to make a judgement.

Signing Richards certainly was scandalous and the Richards signing before that was even more scandalous.

I share your view that actually losing our most effective player (for not very much) and our only goalscorer of note is NOT a good day.

Signing Richards certainly was scandalous and the Richards signing before that was even more scandalous.

I share your view that actually losing our most effective player (for not very much) and our only goalscorer of note is NOT a good day.

Very true,17 goal man gone,sad day,still Martins got his lovely wonga.

I'm sad we've lost probably our best player as well. But, being "glass half full" about it, we've been paid £175K for a player who has struggled with injury and who would almost definitely have walked away for nothing in 6 months' time.

In the circumstances, that was a reasonable bit of work by the club. I'm sad about his departure, but very happy about how the club has managed it. You can't ask any more than that.

Matt

Couldn't agree more, the club lost out on Gower and Clarke.. so we couldn't afford to do it again..

Could you imagine the comments on here if let him go for nothing?!!

Couldn't agree more, the club lost out on Gower and Clarke.. so we couldn't afford to do it again..

Could you imagine the comments on here if let him go for nothing?!!

Am i the only one who thinks that IF we did find ourselves relegated this year then its going to cost us faaaaar more than 175k in revenue?

Granted, IF we survive then this has to be looked upon as a good deal by the club

IF we somehow go down, due to lack of goals (take off what barney has done for us so far and we'd be in alot of trouble) then it would be a dire deal.

Either way its a gamble, just hopefully a gamble we will win!

Back