• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Upfront

sufc_tom

Striker
Just been thinking that everyone has been talking on about the midfield three (if we play 4-3-3), so what about upfront? The start of the season it will most likely be; Hall Harris and Johnson. But what when Corr is back from injury? Will PS drop Hall or Johnson to fit Corr in, or will he change formation to 4-4-2 with Hall and Johnson on the wings with one of Grant/Ferdinand/N'Daiye/Kalala (maybe) in the middle with Corr and Harris up front.

Can't just drop Hall or Johnson for Corr if the teams doing well, and will Corr just have to wait for his chance like every player should.

Another option could be switching between Corr and Harris to ease Corr back in while he regains match fitness and with Harris getting some rest so he doesn't tire out or get injured.

I think 4-4-2 works best with what we have- problem is that we need another target man- so a signing or Mohsni will need to deputize for Corr.

I don't see where Neil Harris fits in in a 4-3-3. But other than him I think that's the formation which gets the best out of the other assets in the squad. To be honest, I'm pretty happy with our strikeforce. I can see a short term need to bring someone in to cover Corr but Mohsni and Johnson are more than capable of playing there as and when needed.

I would like to play 442. I am happy with Corr & Harris up front, but feel we lack a decent alternative if either is injured - we need to sign another first team striker. I just don't think the other 3 (Sturrock, Crawford & Asante) are good enough to be used regularly. If we don't sign anyone else we will have to hope that Crawford or Asante improve as is always possible with younger players. As for playing Moshni up front, I would then have to question why we signed any of the three back up players?

I think the problem is that Sturrock, Crawford & Asante are not target men- they themselves would all work best alongside a Corr and would cover Harris if injured (all be it less prolific). If we are leaving Mohsni at the back then we need someone along the lines of a Liam Dickinson or less likely a Rory Fallon. Throwing Bilel alongside Harris changed the game verses Ipswich.

I don't see where Neil Harris fits in in a 4-3-3. But other than him I think that's the formation which gets the best out of the other assets in the squad. To be honest, I'm pretty happy with our strikeforce. I can see a short term need to bring someone in to cover Corr but Mohsni and Johnson are more than capable of playing there as and when needed.

Harris in the middle with Hall and Johnson outside him popping the crosses in (and scoring their fair share aswell!)

You need a targetman to play the central role in a 4-3-3 though, IMO, like we had with Corr last year. I think Harris would be a bit lost playing there as he supposedly was on Friday.

What we desperately need at the moment is a target man , but one with pace so that he can play upfront alongside Corr when he is back. We have too many central midfielders especially as it looks likely we will sign Kalala , so probably a wise move would be to accept a decent offer for Granty or Ferdy + use this cash on a big striker.

Now i am a big fan of both of these players but i see a lack of firepower being our downfall -- so we should try to nick Paul Benson before he signs for Notts County . £150k is a lot of money but Benno would pretty much guarantee you 20 to 25 goals + would be ideal in a 4 3 3 ... as he could play both target man or on the flank. Also as a Blues fan he would run through brick walls for the teams cause.

There is no point in having the strongest midfield in the league if no one is there to finish.....

Sturrock still wants to bring in two more strikers so maybe it's a tad premature to ponder different combinations at the moment.

we're going to look pretty topheavy if we bring more strikers in:

Corr
Harris
Sturrock
Asante
Crawford
Pato
A.N. Other

while obviously Pato isn't in PS's plans, that's still 6 players for a maximum of 2 positions. Can see Asante out on a long-term loan, but not sure where Crawford and BS really fit in except as (not ideal) cover for wide spots in a 433, or for injuries. Can't see either of them pushing Harris/Corr for a place any time soon - and I think there's a genuine question about whether we'd be better off pushing someone else (Mohsni, JJ) into a central position if one of Harris and Corr get injured.

If Paterson isn't moved on by the start of the season I'm sure he'll come into contention.

Be very interesting if we do get another forward in, whether PS will release Blair from his (I assume?) month-to-month deal that was rumoured?...

. £150k is a lot of money but Benno would pretty much guarantee you 20 to 25 goals + would be ideal in a 4 3 3 ... as he could play both target man or on the flank. Also as a Blues fan he would run through brick walls for the teams cause.

There is no point in having the strongest midfield in the league if no one is there to finish.....

No need...just roll it out to the boy Leonard

I found that a bit odd too be honest - wonder if that is a sign he is going to play a part?

When I spoke with PS 2 weeks ago, he was adamant that he wanted Pato gone, but like you, I guess that as that ain't looking likely now, then he may well be included again or at least given a chance to prove himself (or not).

Paterson needs to move for everybodys sake. Its quite clear the PS doesnt rate him and his wages are causing problems in bringing bodies in.

Season long loan somewhere would be good

Back