• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

VOTE FOR NICKY NIC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ Jan. 14 2005,12:57)]Erm , having had a quick peek at the top 5 rankings they are currently:

Andy Kirk - Boston
Bart Griemink - SUFC
Lee Trundle - Swansea
Matthew Sparrow - Scunny
Nicky Nicolau - SUFC

Interesting.....
Bear in mind those are in alphabetical order (by Christian name)...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Jan. 14 2005,13:08)]Quite obviously the bigger clubs (of which we are one) in each division will draw more votes for their players than smaller ones.

I haven't seen a breakdown of the vote but I am willing to bet that there are very few votes from fans whos clubs players are not represented. Outside of the Premier$hite most fans have no knowledge of how well a members of other teams are playing.

I think that Southend also have an advantage in these polls because a lot of our fans have net acess as a consequence of working in the city and seem generally much more 'net savvy' than fans of some other teams. You only have to look at other teams message boards to see just how many southend fans their are online compared to some other teams.
Very true! I'm sure you're more or less right with those points - and the award is anything but scientific or fair... but that doesnt mean we shouldn't try to win it... in my opinion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Jan. 14 2005,13:08)]Voting is subjective, yes, I'm not going to argue with you there.

But consider the following:

Quite obviously the bigger clubs (of which we are one) in each division will draw more votes for their players than smaller ones.

I haven't seen a breakdown of the vote but I am willing to bet that there are very few votes from fans whos clubs players are not represented. Outside of the Premier$hite most fans have no knowledge of how well a members of other teams are playing.

I think that Southend also have an advantage in these polls because a lot of our fans have net acess as a consequence of working in the city and seem generally much more 'net savvy' than fans of some other teams. You only have to look at other teams message boards to see just how many southend fans their are online compared to some other teams.
All the points you make are entirely valid - but the problem lies with the way the PFA have constructed the poll. In fact there is nothing to stop people voting more than once, provided they can be bothered to register with a different e-mail address and name each time, so the whole thing is flawed.

However:

That isn't our fault, and we shouldn't let it stop us trying to win the poll for our player. As SpacemamSpiff says, it does mean something to the players, and so we should do our best to win it for them. If you don't approve, don't participate. Can't see fans from other clubs being any more ethical, mind you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Jan. 14 2005,10:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Jan. 13 2005,19:34)]So much for freedon of vote.
rock.gif
(I voted for Edwards) Why are you all so bothered about this? By the end of the season most of the team will have won the award
laugh.gif
a life collecting bins beckons...
Someone's got to do it
laugh.gif

I don't think Nicolau deserves it anyway. Barrett and Bart did but apparently Nicolau was rubbish at Boston. Maybe he'll prove me wrong if Tilson keeps him in the side.

I understand objections to the voting system and, indeed, have raised similar points on this board.

True, this system is edging more towards one where the team with the most fans wins every month. True, there is no independent analyst who decides on who gets the award, so the player can not actually be considered the best player in the division for whatever month.

But, it took about a minute of my time. Frankly, it looks like if we are going to have any chance of going up, by automics or by playoffs, we're going to need any edge we can get over teams and if Nicolau's confidence is 2% higher, leading to 2% more effort beating a full back and putting crosses in. I'll happily take that rather than spending my valuable minute complaining about it.

Current Top 5

Coca-Cola Football League Two
Player Team
Bart Griemink Southend United Football Club
Jamie Brooks Oxford United Football Club
Lee Trundle Swansea City Football Club
Nicky Nicolau Southend United Football Club
Tommy Mooney Oxford United Football Club

I'd be more worried about Swansea, what with them only having one player in the top 5. Trundle will probably win it as it appears that both the Oxford and Southend United votes are divided.

We should have a better base than Oxford, to the extent we can make sure Nicky gets it, surely everyone has now voted for Nicky

Back