• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Waddock and Todorov take training

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/b...v-gary-waddock-take-southend-united-training/

It is what it is and we should probably read not too much else into it. But you'd have to say he's potentially one of those under consideration... wouldn't you?

But I've been reading a lot of negativity about Waddock on here recently. I don't know enough about him so I'm interested to know: is that because he's become associated with what we've just been through and is seen as part of "the Bond problem", or is it based on his time before joining Southend?

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/b...v-gary-waddock-take-southend-united-training/

It is what it is and we should probably read not too much else into it. But you'd have to say he's potentially one of those under consideration... wouldn't you?

But I've been reading a lot of negativity about Waddock on here recently. I don't know enough about him so I'm interested to know: is that because he's become associated with what we've just been through and is seen as part of "the Bond problem", or is it based on his time before joining Southend?

Based on his time before Southend.

Was relegated twice at Wycombe. Took Aldershot out of the Conference in his last spell there. Won 4 in 24 at QPR and lost 7 of 8 at Oxford in L2.

Was relegated twice at Wycombe. Took Aldershot out of the Conference in his last spell there. Won 4 in 24 at QPR and lost 7 of 8 at Oxford in L2.

Whilst that's true, it's a bit unfair. From Wikipedia (about his time at Wycombe):

Waddock was appointed manager of the League One side on 13 October 2009 as successor to the sacked Peter Taylor.[9] Despite a turn in form, and a large turnover of players towards the end of the season, Waddock was unable to prevent Wycombe Wanderers' relegation to League Two.

Wycombe finished the 2010–11 season by being promoted back to League One (finishing third in League Two) after beating Southend United 3–1 at Adams Park in their final game of the season.

They were relegated the next season, but it's a bit unfair to include 2 relegations without mentioning a) one was not a full season, and b) he also got them promoted.

FWIW, I don't really know enough about him to say whether I would like him as manager or not. I just think you're being very selective in your evidence. For me, the better argument would be that he took over in October and couldn't keep them up...

Last edited:

Questions go to be asked why he was even employed as assistant manager with a record like that!!

Whilst that's true, it's a bit unfair. From Wikipedia (about his time at Wycombe):

They were relegated the next season, but it's a bit unfair to include 2 relegations without mentioning a) one was not a full season, and b) he also got them promoted.

FWIW, I don't really know enough about him to say whether I would like him as manager or not. I just think you're being very selective in your evidence.

The question I was answering was why the negativity.

Another example of a terrible manager:

After a spell out of the game working as a self-employed salesman, he was appointed manager. At the end of the season, they finished in 9th place and were looking to progress. The following season they finished bottom, and the manager himself was forced out of retirement, scoring once in his 2 league appearances that season. At the start of the following season, he became managing director, appointing 2 managers to manage the team. The team finished bottom again the following season. His spell in charge is not fondly remembered, the team had two disastrous seasons; five of the team's better players were released as soon as he took over, others were sold cheaply, and replaced by vastly inferior players, and the club colours changed to blue.

That manager? David Webb, pre-Southend.

Sometimes, the best managers might not have been any good elsewhere.

Sometimes, the best managers might not have been any good elsewhere
sudfh.jpg

The very least I am assuming is the following :

1. Bond has gone , so Waddock can dictate how we play

2. He realises the first six league games haven’t worked ( yeah I know that’s obvious ) so he will change Bonds approach.

3. Waddock is experienced in the world of football so I guess he has consulted with the players on 2 and sought their opinions.

Do we have good players bit do far a ‘poor team ?
Can he change things in a week ?

My concern is that if there is no discernible improvement on Saturday then I don’t know where we go from there ( apart from down ).

Are we deluded in thinking we have a decent bunch of players or are they either too old or too inexperienced ( depending on age ).

For what it’s worth , my opinion is that these are the three good players we have :

Kiernan ( I think way above the rest )
Cox ( but needs support )
Hopper ( sadly injured - seriously think he would have made a huge difference last season and this ).

The rest , I’m really not so sure.

Last Saturday, I spent the second half in the bar and I hAte myself for that ( not just because the beer is **** ) but because I’ve always bemoaned people who do that or leave early.
But because I love this club so much I just couldn’t face watching the inevitable.

I will be there on Saturday and I will be cheering the team on , but its also up to them now to stand up and be counted.

Post a bit off topic - apologies

I'd pick a formation, probably 352, and do all I could to make them comfortable with that. My worry with keeping Bond for an extra week we could have missed out a valuable week of preparation and training.

My view is that it is probably a bit of both.

His previous management record is not particularly good and his association with Bond as assistant manager during our poor start this season.

Be patient and wake up and smell the coffee!! We can turn this round- there are at least 3 teams worse than us! First priority- stay in the League. Second priority - rise to mid table and maybe, just maybe have a decent Cup run! Come on it can’t be that difficult now that KB has departed!

Well, whoever takes over, let's hope they can dictate as to how the players should be playing - whether they like it or not - and they all give 100%. Not a fan of the tail wagging the dog :Thumbs down:

Be patient and wake up and smell the coffee!! We can turn this round- there are at least 3 teams worse than us! First priority- stay in the League. Second priority - rise to mid table and maybe, just maybe have a decent Cup run! Come on it can’t be that difficult now that KB has departed!

Not at the moment there's aren't. Plenty of time to turn it around and can easily finish top half if we get a good run going

Dont want these 2 anywhere near the first team squad! They have shown there not capable! Bond brought these 2 in so they have to go! All bad eggs have to be neutralized!

from what i have read here and heard Todorov has been doing a good job with the strikers etc and gets o very well with the players also the most motivated off the all the staff at matches , i would definitely keep him if this is true .

Heard the same about Toderov. For a long time under PB, and to a lesser extent under CP I was arguing that we need an attacking coach. We now have one, so why would we let him go, especially as he seems to be respected and liked by the players.

Waddock - i don't know whether he has been tainted by being assistant to KB or not, and no idea what they player's views are.

2 things for me:

Firstly, the fact remains that KB resigned (regardless of how the decision was reached), which says to me that Toderov and Waddock are here to stay for the moment. So, likely to be in charge until Ron decides on who is next in the hot seat.

The second is that whoever comes in needs to be respected by the players, otherwise the same will happen all over again. None of this is about discipline, the naughty step for those not conforming to the managers will - rather that the new boss needs to hear what the players say, and work with them and play to strengths.

Most if not all of us on here don’t have the inside track and can only guess what these two are like but I assume as some people got the inside track on how players felt about Bond’s training it will be interesting to know if the players now feel it is back on track and therefore we should be less worried about a quick appointment if getting the right person takes a few weeks. Alternatively if nothing’s changed we need to get on and get new blood in.

Back