• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Warning from D C Spooner

McNasty

From the Echo site

Football fans warned

9:47am Friday 26th September 2008

FOOTBALL fans have been warned to stay away if they intend to cause trouble at Southend United’s clash with Leyton Orient tonight.

Police will be using weapon detection systems at train stations to prevent hooligans bringing dangerous items into Southend.

Football Liaison Officer, Det Con Dick Spooner, said: “Anyone coming to Southend with the intention of causing trouble needn’t bother turning up.

"We will be out in force to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the genuine supporters."

Det Con Spooner warned anyone who causes trouble will be arrested and could face a ban from future games.

He added: “The vast majority of supporters behave impeccably and enjoy their football, but we simply will not tolerate the small minority of people who set out intent on causing trouble and spoiling the match for others”.

From the Echo site

Det Con Spooner warned anyone who causes trouble will be arrested and could face a ban from future games.

If I had to watch Orient every week that would be a reward not a punishment...

Dammit, and just to think I was coming down to give Jonny Stokes a dry slap for not doing the mash potato when I requested.

I sure Essex police tested this weapon detection system at Wickford Station a few weeks back

COME ON U SHRIMPERS

THREE POINTS PLEASE SOUTHEND UNITED FC

Unbelievable scenes in The Nelson before the game ... this copper said to me "we're gonna take you and your son outside and search you" ... i replied "no you're not, he is 8 years old and if you lay a finger on him you'll never hear the end of it" ... quick discussion between police and "ok, just go and sit in the corner then"

1-0 to me i think ;) ... "4-0 on aggregate, 4-0 on aggregate" :cool::cool:

Unbelievable scenes in The Nelson before the game ... this copper said to me "we're gonna take you and your son outside and search you" ... i replied "no you're not, he is 8 years old and if you lay a finger on him you'll never hear the end of it" ... quick discussion between police and "ok, just go and sit in the corner then"

1-0 to me i think ;) ... "4-0 on aggregate, 4-0 on aggregate"
:cool::cool:
I was in the nelson and EVERY ONE got searched and one was taken away inhandcuffs.
NO ONE escaped the search. The thing that disgusted me was the rebellion against the police and slating them.If you aint got anything to hide you should be prepared to be searched the same as i was

Last edited:
Already posted this in the ratings thread but hadn't seen this one. Apologies for the double post! :doh:

Wtf was that all about with the police?! I know we were promised a tough approach towards potential weapons carriers by DC Spooner but what happened was completely over the top in my opinion. Every single person, be they football fan or otherwise, was stopped at Prittlewell station, made to empty their pockets and walk through a metal detector that seemed to be far too sensitive. Understandably, people were getting very pi$$ed off and the police were getting a lot of stick, evidently for just following the orders they had been given by whichever crackpots thought it would be a good idea to search everyone.

I shall be writing to the police, the club and the Echo and I'd urge others to do the same as it was a complete waste of time that was only leading to confrontations rather than averting them.

It seems the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't , i had to walk through a metal detector at Southend Central and it took 1 minute out of my day , but for soem reason i felt a lot safer walking to and from the game so from me i say well done to the old bill .

Already posted this in the ratings thread but hadn't seen this one. Apologies for the double post! :doh:

Wtf was that all about with the police?! I know we were promised a tough approach towards potential weapons carriers by DC Spooner but what happened was completely over the top in my opinion. Every single person, be they football fan or otherwise, was stopped at Prittlewell station, made to empty their pockets and walk through a metal detector that seemed to be far too sensitive. Understandably, people were getting very pi$$ed off and the police were getting a lot of stick, evidently for just following the orders they had been given by whichever crackpots thought it would be a good idea to search everyone.

I shall be writing to the police, the club and the Echo and I'd urge others to do the same as it was a complete waste of time that was only leading to confrontations rather than averting them.

I was searched and i am an old age pensioner ffs.I did not mind one bit if it secures my safety.They had intelligence there was going to be trouble and they acted on it as i would expect them to do so stop moaning.
FFS you would be plenty ****ed off if you had been stabbed and they had not put those actions into place

1-0 to me i think ;) ... "4-0 on aggregate, 4-0 on aggregate"
:cool::cool:
I was in the nelson and EVERY ONE got searched and one was taken away inhandcuffs.
NO ONE escaped the search. The thing that disgusted me was the rebellion against the police and slating them.If you aint got anything to hide you should be prepared to be searched the same as i was

i'm not gonna start an argument with you ... i said i wouldn't be searched, and certainly my son wouldn't be and we were weren't ... end of

I was searched and i am an old age pensioner ffs.I did not mind one bit if it secures my safety.They had intelligence there was going to be trouble and they acted on it as i would expect them to do so stop moaning.
FFS you would be plenty ****ed off if you had been stabbed and they had not put those actions into place

I agree, I would be very annoyed if I had been stabbed, but then my brother nearly was a couple of years ago and was threatened with a prosecution for wasting police time! :madman: :darkcloud:

I am pleased to see a police presence and have no problems with them myself but such a heavy-handed approach was completely over the top in my opinion and was only leading to confrontation between members of the public and the police who at one point were physically having to restraining commuters who were trying to avoid the fuss by escaping through another exit!

I just wish they'd use some common sense - oh, and how about putting in an appearance after the match at the station, or was it past their bedtimes? :madman:

I agree, I would be very annoyed if I had been stabbed, but then my brother nearly was a couple of years ago and was threatened with a prosecution for wasting police time! :madman: :darkcloud:

I am pleased to see a police presence and have no problems with them myself but such a heavy-handed approach was completely over the top in my opinion and was only leading to confrontation between members of the public and the police who at one point were physically having to restraining commuters who were trying to avoid the fuss by escaping through another exit!

I just wish they'd use some common sense - oh, and how about putting in an appearance after the match at the station, or was it past their bedtimes? :madman:

Dont be so silly they have far more important things to do like supervising the boy racers down the seafront.

Why would any of you be "Stabbed.." the mere concept makes me chuckle with a mouthful of chicken fried rice.

Nice to know they stopped any potential trouble last night but wouldn't their resourses have been better spent on the seafront area where there is far more trouble every weekend than there ever is at a football match.

Nice to know they stopped any potential trouble last night but wouldn't their resourses have been better spent on the seafront area where there is far more trouble every weekend than there ever is at a football match.

Perhaps they had heard there would be trouble from the Orient fans last night. By having the metal-detector-thing at Prittlewell station and raiding the Nelson I think they were targetting Orient fans (and any Southend fans in the way).

Was setup at Rochford as well. I think the point is the lack of any intellgence on teh part of individual coppers , its all about blindly following the rules , end of , and the whole if you have nothing to hide stuff is utter tosh , everyone in some way has something to "hide", the laws are made to help the populace if they infringe them beyound rational thats when the should be looked into or amended

I thought the police opperation was a big success. The orient team deffinatly left their cutting edge back in east London.

Every single person, be they football fan or otherwise, was stopped at Prittlewell station, made to empty their pockets and walk through a metal detector that seemed to be far too sensitive.

Hmm...I arrived at Prittlewell station at 7 and there was a big crowd around the exit. One of the policemen told a few of us to just go round and use the second exit which conveniently had no-one slowing down so I just walked straight out.

Not saying I look like the most likely candidate for smashing up some Orient fans but givent hat I'm a 25 year old male and had a bag with me, I was a little surprised to overtake the pensioners being searched.

Should add that only a few of us were pushed through the second exit. Does anyone know of anything from last season to have prompted this?

Shame the Police didn't target some of the Orient thugs on the pitch last night!!

I was thinking about posting something similar. Team instructions first half seemed to consist of "always make sure you get a late tackle in" and "hit the ball long whenever presented with the chance".

Back