• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wayne Gray,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Jan. 13 2005,17:34)]I think we are using Gray as the scapegoat for a poor defeat. Granteed I wasn't at the game and only caught the first half on the radio but it sounded like a lot of people either failed to turn up or failed to adjust to the conditions  (Quick question, which boots to you use on a beach?).

Recently on here the biggest debates have been about trivial things like the programme, the spelling of Eastwood's first name and is it duh or do in the Eastwood song. Now, because we have lost, people are quickly abusing players, namely Gray. How fickle can one bunch of fans be, and I include myself in this.

In pre-season, I think the majority of us guessed Gray would be the next Benjamin, Angell or Collymore firing us to promotion with his 25 goals (Okay, just me then). Then at the start of the season things were going against us, mainly results and people found Gray to be the scapegoat because of what appeared to be a bad attitude and the failure to apply himself to the task. Rightly so, Tilly dropped him to the bench for a spell, and I would assume he knuckled down in training etc. He then got his chance again because of a mini injury crisis in the striking department and since then he has worked his socks of and is begining to fulfill the potential that we realised he had in pre-season. But now because of one game he is "useless" and "should be dropped".

Now, this is either because he has reached a comfort zone, which I feel isn't the case because he knows that he will be dropped if he doesn't work his socks off, or its because we are all frustated with the result and need someone to blame. My predicition is that its the latter.
I don't think anyone is having a go at Wayne Gray. Most people seem more than happy with his work-rate and general play since he got back in the side. We've got four very good strikers (yes FM - four) though and I don't think theres anything wrong in calling for another partnership to be given a try.

Its not just about last night either, in fact I'd be inclined to keep Gray in for matches like last night's one where his pace is going to be an invaluable outlet for the rest of the team, but Dudfield offers something different and its something that we're crying out for at home imo. With the exception of the game against a woeful Rushden side our recent home matches have been far more of a struggle than they should have been and imo thats mainly because we've never got anyone in the box so we don't create as many chances as we should do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Jan. 13 2005,18:21)]Wayne 'Striking Sensation'
wink.gif
Gray
Wayney Gray ("The next Pele") has got 6 league goals and 7 in total with his LDV strike.

I didn't mean everyone was having a pop at him but there are a few, not naming anynames (Wiggers).

I certainly agree that all four of our strikers are more than adequate at this level and each one of them offers us something different but the Eastwood/Gray partnership has/is working so why change it? If it requires changing Tilly and Brush will do that accordly. Each of the strikers have a different aspect to their game and when we chop and change it it makes us less predicitable. With Bramble, he'll drop deep pick up the ball and bring others into play, his powerful and pacy and holds the ball up well. Dudders is the fox in the box and will feed of scraps and half chances. He is probably the best finisher at the Club. With Gray we have someone who likes to pull out wide and get round the back of teams with his pace. He also delivers well from the wings and finally in Eastwood we have a guy who can create something out of nothing, has good, quick feet and can certainly strike a ball well. I feel any combination we use would work well but from my descriptions above I'd like to see Dudders and Gray.

I am not particuarly having a go at Gray as i think he is an asset, however with four potentially decent strikers at the club then why don"t Tilly perm them about a bit i.e especially half time at York Street. With very limited minutes on the pitch Dudfield has done wonders, and this is one issue where i think Tilson is massively at fault by not using the guy more. Sorry but the manager was very poor on wednesday along with the ref and most of our players.

If it is working then a regular strike pairing is better than mixing and matching as this way we have a settled strikeforce who can build on a partnership - Eastwood and Gray is a partnership that is clearly working for Southend United.

I don't actually think Eastwood and Gray are a "partnership",rather more 2 guys playing up front. Their link up play is virtually non-existant with both of them ploughing their own furrows. I actually think Bramble and Dudfield is a partnership in the true meaning of the world, and Bramble and Gray was looking like a partnership before Tes got injured. I alluded to the fact of Gray's lack of goals prior to the Boston game, and feel now is the time for Tes and Freddy to be given a run together.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ Jan. 14 2005,11:01)]I don't actually think Eastwood and Gray are a "partnership",rather more 2 guys playing up front. Their link up play is virtually non-existant with both of them ploughing their own furrows. I actually think Bramble and Dudfield is a partnership in the true meaning of the world, and Bramble and Gray was looking like a partnership before Tes got injured. I alluded to the fact of Gray's lack of goals prior to the Boston game, and feel now is the time for Tes and Freddy to be given a run together.
Spot on.

We're doing well as they are both good players, not because they play well together. I really like what little I've seen of Eastwood and Bramble up front together.

I'm not stating whether i think Gray should be dropped or not as haven't seen the last two games, so not sure how he has played.

However i don't believe its bad thing to drop players to the bench now and again as it keeps the team hungry , every player should be putting in 100% every game , as in the back of their minds they know that anything less than 100% means time warming the bench.

What we should be pleased about is that we have the depth in most positions to be able to enforce this .

Am I the only one who thinks Eastwood and Gray have quite a good understanding TOGETHER???

Well Eastwood's created none for Wayne, Wayne's created maybe 3 or 4 of Eastwood's goals. I'd agree that Bramble/Duds make a good pair as do Bramble/Gray but I think Gray is the sorta player who can link up well with anybody as his constant hard work and running creates space and opportunities for his strike partner. We all know Freddy's a bit selfish but for a decent goalscoring pairing you need one of those and I believe thast why it works, Freddy's goalscoring ability and Gray's pace and willing to chase everything to create chances.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Jan. 14 2005,15:04)]Le God is struggling to be fit for tomorrow. Bugger.
sad.gif
laugh.gif
This cannot be!! looks like we will have to put up with Eastwood, Gray and Dudfield.... times are hard... sigh..
biggrin.gif

Well to be honest, I think the best striking pairing we have at the Club is Drewenaldo and Husbands but I think I am well and truly on my own on that one.

Personally, I think any pairing of Eastwood, Gray, Dudders, and Bramble would work. Whoever is upfront for us tomorrow will do the business I feel. I reckon Gray's got a brace in him for tomorrow.

Back