• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm no mathematician, but with a bit of women's logic...

We need to win, and Creepy and Torquay both need to draw or lose. As there are 3 teams who could go up and one auto spot left, its a 1 in 3 chance of going up! Simples.
We don't need to win, if Creepy and Torquay both lose, a draw will do.

Those seem about right. We've a very decent chance of promotion but Crawley are clear favourites.

We'll go up though.

I have just asked our football department to price up promotion on Saturday. Odds (and percentages) detailed below.

Crawley 8/15 (65%)
Torquay 3/1 (25%)
Southend 7/2 (22.22%)

Not wishing to confuse matters further, but given that one of these has to happen, how come they don't add up to 100%?

It's called the "overround" and represents the bookies profit margin.

Not wishing to confuse matters further, but given that one of these has to happen, how come they don't add up to 100%?

Because of Ladbrokes' profit margin. And without wanting to re-open the debate, means that our true chances of promotion are less than 22.22% :smile:

Because of Ladbrokes' profit margin. And without wanting to re-open the debate, means that our true chances of promotion are less than 22.22%

That makes sense. You're therefore correct that our chances of automatic are therefore less than 22.22%. However, this still means my original post is correct: that as unlikely as this outcome is, we have to make sure we're in a position to take advantage should Crawley and Torquay fail. I said that with three games to go where the odds were probably longer than they aren now...

When I used the best prices from the odds comparison website for all the 27 scenarios I added up the totals and came to very close to 100% for each set of scenarios so I'm reasonably confident that 19% represents the average of the bookies'/market's views.

Long thread - lets just win and see what else happens after that !

Well, I've got Southend to get promoted at 7-1.

But that was back in August....

And probably around the 18-19% figure that andykn and i came up with

:angel:

If you want to be smart about it, depends which bookies odds you use. If Ladrokes are quoting ungenerous odds on Crawley and/or Torquay to win or be promoted it will by definition inflate our odds.

All I was saying is that based on the odds quoted on page 1 of the thread of 2/1 for us to be promoted implies our chances of promotion this Saturday as being around 1 in 12. That is unequivocal if you work through the maths based on the 2/1 price. Whether 2/1 is a fair price is another matter and, of course, opinions will differ.

Anway, lets see what happens on Saturday, that's the main thing :thumbsup:

Still dont understand that 1 in 12 , the chances of going up on Saturday are 18-19% which is realistic.

8% chance is way out.

Back