• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have to keep Phil Brown

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
Yes I know. I can’t believe I’m saying it either

But I cannot deny that PB has got more out of the same players Molesley had.

He wouldn’t have been my choice. But the past is the past. We simply cannot afford yet more upheaval in the summer with another new manager coming in. Brown has had this time to assess who he would want to keep (I honestly can’t imagine there’s many) and areas we need to bring the players in.

We have sleepwalked into absolute oblivion. We can’t have another slow start to summer proceedings.

Every manager who’s had a crack at this since Brown’s initial departure has bemoaned the lack of fitness of the previous regime. One thing you could never accuse a Phil Brown team of was being unfit.

He’s said it himself (Brown), the budget will dictate what he wants to do. But I really feel we have to give it to him. It’s another mark of how far we have fallen, Phil Brown might be our best hope of getting back within a respectable time frame. What is a respectable timeframe.... 3 years? 5 years?

The promotion year in 2015 we had, in my opinion, the best squad in League 2. We haven’t had any squad depth remotely close to that since.

I actually agree. We know him, he knows Ron. Imagine yet another new manager search…all the rumours, all the time it would take .. give Phil til Christmas..

Yes I know. I can’t believe I’m saying it either

But I cannot deny that PB has got more out of the same players Molesley had.

He wouldn’t have been my choice. But the past is the past. We simply cannot afford yet more upheaval in the summer with another new manager coming in. Brown has had this time to assess who he would want to keep (I honestly can’t imagine there’s many) and areas we need to bring the players in.

We have sleepwalked into absolute oblivion. We can’t have another slow start to summer proceedings.

Every manager who’s had a crack at this since Brown’s initial departure has bemoaned the lack of fitness of the previous regime. One thing you could never accuse a Phil Brown team of was being unfit.

He’s said it himself (Brown), the budget will dictate what he wants to do. But I really feel we have to give it to him. It’s another mark of how far we have fallen, Phil Brown might be our best hope of getting back within a respectable time frame. What is a respectable timeframe.... 3 years? 5 years?

The promotion year in 2015 we had, in my opinion, the best squad in League 2. We haven’t had any squad depth remotely close to that since.
I don't disagree with the sentiment, but

a) Most of the players here now won't be next season as their contracts are up, and
b) of the 4 that are left (without us exercising any options), PB has fallen out with 2 of them.

It doesn't bode well.

Why do you think Brown got the sack last time, BIG BIG mistake to take him back again but maybe him Ranger& Ron deserve each other and are
now in the correct league.

I would suggest that PB's comments on budget really means.......Will Ron allow me to sign the players early and not interfere with who I want and if I want to discipline them. Will they get payed and lets improve the off field activities and facilities.

Whatever your opinion of PB he is the best option to achieve exactly what SOS are trying to do.....Put Ron under pressure and keep his nose out of the playing side of things.

Some have claimed PB has no NL experience but then want Fagan to be the manger?
I'm not sure PB will be here but if PB backed by Fagan and Ricky D cant come up with results.......With our background and name in football, then good luck with finding a better 3 than that.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but

a) Most of the players here now won't be next season as their contracts are up, and
b) of the 4 that are left (without us exercising any options), PB has fallen out with 2 of them.

It doesn't bode well.

Is there prove of this or is it just another Conner Clifford, Jack Bridge, Jason Williams PB knows more than the fans scenario.

When is the next tax bill due? Our main concern should be stabilising the finances of this football club.

Is Brown the man to do that? Can he operate on a shoe string budget? I’m dubious.
I think Rigsby exploded the myth that PB has to operate on a big budget to be successful

I think a lot of fans under-estimate PB's contact book. Loan players played a BIG part in our success under his previous regime. I would rate all the following players as ones who contributed to our L2 promotion campaign that he was able to bring to the club by virtue of his network of contacts;

Joe Pigott - on loan
Steve McLaughlin - on loan
Rob Kiernan (first time around when he was decent and fit) - on loan
Jerome Binnon-Williams - on loan
Shaq Coulthurst (scored a vital penalty in the 90th minute against someone) - on loan
Cian Bolger - on loan
Jake Cassidy (didn't score but linked up well w/ Pigott in latter half of season) - on loan

In L1 he brought in Steve McQueen who was excellent for us as well.

I'd like to know how many other managers in the NL or even L1/2 would be able to call upon mates at larger clubs in the same way. Just my opinion but we need all the help we can get in the NL.

Last edited:
I think a lot of fans under-estimate PB's contact book. Loan players played a BIG part in our success under his previous regime. I would rate all the following players as ones who contributed to our L2 promotion campaign that he was able to bring to the club by virtue of his network of contacts;

Joe Pigott - on loan
Steve McLaughlin - on loan
Rob Kiernan (first time around when he was decent and fit) - on loan
Jerome Binnon-Williams - on loan
Shaq Coulthurst (scored a vital penalty in the 90th minute against someone) - on loan
Cian Bolger - on loan
Jake Cassidy (didn't score but linked up well w/ Pigott in latter half of season) - on loan more Sam than Steve

In L1 he brought in Steve McQueen who was excellent for us as well.

I'd like to know how many other managers in the NL or even L1/2 would be able to call upon mates at larger clubs in the same way. Just my opinion but we need all the help we can get in the NL.

Agree that Brown has been very good since he came in. But the thing that worries me is that if Stan gets this CEO in and wants to hang around in an advisory role, will Brown accept that help? I like that Stan can open doors, get people on the phone and make things happen. I like Brown, but we all know he’s got an ego and it worries me that he‘ll feel like his toes are being trodden on and give any help from Stan the cold shoulder.

I feel like Stan can offer this club so much in the long term and I don’t want that thrown away or dismissed by Brown before it even has a chance to get off the ground.

That’s my only real concern and other than that, I’d really like to see PB stay longer. I think the long term aim is to get a young, up and coming manager who can grow with the club and give us some long term plans. But right now, stability under Brown is so needed.

Agree that Brown has been very good since he came in. But the thing that worries me is that if Stan gets this CEO in and wants to hang around in an advisory role, will Brown accept that help? I like that Stan can open doors, get people on the phone and make things happen. I like Brown, but we all know he’s got an ego and it worries me that he‘ll feel like his toes are being trodden on and give any help from Stan the cold shoulder.

I feel like Stan can offer this club so much in the long term and I don’t want that thrown away or dismissed by Brown before it even has a chance to get off the ground.

That’s my only real concern and other than that, I’d really like to see PB stay longer. I think the long term aim is to get a young, up and coming manager who can grow with the club and give us some long term plans. But right now, stability under Brown is so needed.

If I had to make a choice I would chose the guy with several promotions on his CV as a manager.

Back