• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Wedding venues

How about at your local parish CHURCH?
Not much better for the bride than arriving outside with her dad, five minutes late etc and the walk down the aisle while the organ plays.
You can have your reception where you like BUT a CHURCH service is the Real Big Proper thing!
Do it once and do it right.

Yes got to say I agree with this I had my wedding at my local parish church in church road Hockley it was idyllic and beautiful stained glass windows and all the aura that comes with it.

It was a nice touch as well because my parents got married in the same church in 1980 and 35 years later it was my turn

Made me kinda proud that I chose there

Yes got to say I agree with this I had my wedding at my local parish church in church road Hockley it was idyllic and beautiful stained glass windows and all the aura that comes with it.

It was a nice touch as well because my parents got married in the same church in 1980 and 35 years later it was my turn

Made me kinda proud that I chose there

Well done TB, AND I hope your parents were able to enjoy the continuity and tradition of it all too.
I also believe the bride's family get more from a church wedding as something special.
I also think the vows have more gravitas when made in a church.
When my daughters marry I hope for church weddings, St Mary's where my parents married (as Sutton Church, Rochford doesn't get used now where I got married in 1987).
Happiest day of my life? yeah I think so.

Last wedding I went to (and funnily enough the next one I'm going to in September) was at Hengrave Hall in Bury St Edmunds. Maybe it's a bit further than you were thinking, but it's a great venue.

I got married (well, had the reception) at The Lawns in winter and it was great. We then went off to a country hotel in somewhere or another near Saffron Walden, which had a 4 poster, sunken bath etc etc, also recommended.

A big shout from Mrs SBH and I for Leez Priory where we got married. Obviously it was the best day of her life for so many reasons as I'm quite the catch, but the venue is incredible and the weather was so great we were able to have an 'outdoor' wedding. If you're after that manor house/castle type wedding, it's perfect and you'll also have the whole place to yourselves. Just a few miles away from Chelmsford.

http://www.leez-priory.co.uk/

I stumbled across this yesterday and after browsing through with her indoors and requesting a brochure we are keen to go and look round, It's very nice to hear that people have only had good experiences and thus far seems to meet all the criteria that she wants! after all it is her day and as long as she's happy I couldn't be happier!

Thanks all for your input it really is appreciated, Going to go home tonight and pretend I've been doing my research!
At least I have a lot of suggestions for her now!

I stumbled across this yesterday and after browsing through with her indoors and requesting a brochure we are keen to go and look round, It's very nice to hear that people have only had good experiences and thus far seems to meet all the criteria that she wants! after all it is her day and as long as she's happy I couldn't be happier!

a mate got married there last year. The weather was great so they got married out doors which was nice/different (Personally I prefer an old church - but thats irrelevant- its what matters to you that counts). A couple of things to consider when looking which MIGHT NOT BE OBVIOUS may be good/bad depeneding on your likes/dislikes based on the wedding I went to

How is the space going to be used - Service, after service, breakfast, after breakfast, disco/band, evening buffet etc
The outdoor area is huge and isn't sectioned off in any way so people look 'lost' in such a big space.
The venue is lots of different rooms, so it can look/feel as though there is hardly anyone there-
The dancefloor is underground , so the only people going there are people going to dance, there isn't the opportunity for 'aunty doris' to sit at her table enjoying herself by watching what is going on.

If you like it, its probably worth while asking others on here for more detail on what they thought. My mate got a cancellation. It meant tehy got married a few months earlier than they intended to , but they saved thousanads (and he is Scottish so this sealed the deal :smile: ) ps we had a good time as guests (although we would not choose it for ourselves If we were getting married again- although in fairness its off the scale better to where we had our rceiption 20 years ago much much nocer s) and my mate and his wife loved it

Church is good if you believe in what it stands for, but if you are an atheist it's not that appealing

I got married first time around at St Mary the Virgin at Shoebury (near Asda), lovely old church and it was perfect at the time. We had our reception at the old De Havilland Suite at the Airport Hotel.

This time, 22 years later, we had both service and reception at Three Rivers - this was just as perfect and exactly what we both wanted. I have been very lucky to have two amazing days, both of which I was able to share with loads of family and friends, including some SZoners this time round.

As an aside, didn't Ricey recently get married at Leez Priory? I'm sure he'd be able to give you some fairly up to date tips about that as a venue.

Another +1 for The Lawn. Bloody lovely venue and has a bit of character, not the usual magnolia walled large back room of a golf course and plenty of hotels nearby for guests.

We had ours at Prested hall just off the A12! Perfect for the all day jazz, you can do it in or outside, has rooms at the venue for family and then you've got the Travellodge very close by for those that want to get on the booze!

I certainly refused to get married in one.

Hate the places.Cold,draughty etc

For this to be accurate then;at some time some one must have requested a church wedding of you? you refused? not convinced; AND you don't do "hypothetical" so I must guess that this is a statement of possible unlikely youthful love unfulfilled.
Churches are cool and welcoming in my opinion but i am sure followers of Satin or those abused by members of the cloth will have others views.
You have my earnest sympathy Barna, to carry such a burden must be hard indeed.

I did the old fashioned wedding the first time (1982) local Church, Great Burstead , then reception and evening in the local hall.

21 years later the 2nd one was at Southchurch Hall, followed by the Roslin and then a evening at the Cliffs.

My Daughter gets married in September, at the Roslin .

For this to be accurate then;at some time some one must have requested a church wedding of you? you refused? not convinced; AND you don't do "hypothetical" so I must guess that this is a statement of possible unlikely youthful love unfulfilled.
Churches are cool and welcoming in my opinion but i am sure followers of Satin or those abused by members of the cloth will have others views.
You have my earnest sympathy Barna, to carry such a burden must be hard indeed.

FYI, my wife and I discussed, (briefly), the possibility of getting married in church,back in the 80's, as she's notionally a Catholic.It was always a non-starter, as far as I was concerned.

As a life-long atheist,I'm quite happy to carry my anti-religious "burden." Can't say I'm a satinist or I was ever abused by "members of the cloth" but too many Sunday mornings at St Clement's Leigh certainly took their toll.
I'm sure Cricko would agree.:winking:

Back