• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Were you born on the Day the Blues were playing?

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
I was chatting to some guys in the Spread after the Col U game about what day they were born on.

I discovered some time ago that i was born on a Saturday, so i wanted to find out if the Blues were playing the day i was born, and to my joy they were.

They were away to Rochdale on the 17th Feb 1968, and amazing as it sounds, my wife managed to get a copy of the programme.

Were you born on a day that the Blues were playing?

Last edited:
not unless the season was extended by a month...10.06.63

My son was born on Saturday 4th March 1978 when we were at home to Southport. We won 4-2 and he was born just as our 4th goal was scored.

I would have been at the match but was in the delivery room at Rochford Hospital and immediately after the birth left to see the in-laws in the waiting room, they were not impressed when they asked "Boy or Girl?" and I replied with " Boy, what's the Southend score?" They never did like me.

born on a monday so thought no chance, but what do you know.....monday night football?!? southend at home to Stockport, 1-1 draw!!

Well Aberdeen Shrimper I was at the game at Rochdale the day you were born :

ROCHDALE away 1-0
Saturday 17th February 1968 Division 4

An overnight trip again for this one, well you want to see the delights of Rochdale don't you? It was barely light when we got there, some lads followed the Milkman around, and scrawled, in felt tip markers, on milk bottles "SUFC" or "Bill Best" etc. I bet the waking locals must have been impressed. Our usual good old kick around followed by a lengthy session in the Pubs, although I was only 16 I was quite happy drinking with the older lads, but a pint lasted me a very long time, a) I couldn’t afford it and b) I couldn’t keep up with the others pace and quantity.

A good solid performance, and a good win, but when we got back the local's were waiting for us, it looked like turning nasty until the police arrived and moved the Rochdale fans on, one common chant at most grounds was "We'll see you all outside" this was a reality not an idle threat. This was why everyone stuck together, safety in numbers, stragglers could be picked off

I was not born on a Saturday but here’s my story;

SHEFFIELD UNITED home 1-2
Saturday 2 February 1952 FACup Round 4

I was born at 6.00 a.m. on Thursday 31st January 1952 in an upstairs flat in Maldon Road, Southend, opposite the Stadium, which was then the home of Southend United. Two days later, on Saturday 2nd February 1952 Southend United were playing Bristol Rovers in a 4th Round FA Cup tie. The Bristol Rovers fans started to arrive in the early morning, as they got off their coaches they started to sing their theme song "Goodnight Irene", at which my enraged father stormed downstairs and yelled "Will you shut up, my wife has just had a baby"

That was my introduction into Southend United.

We beat Bristol Rovers 2-1 in front of a crowd of nearly 22,500 and went on to play Sheffield United in the 5th Round losing 1-2

DoDtS

4th May 67

Notts County Away, score was 4:3 McKinven, McMillan & Baber were the scorers.

Apparently there were 3848 spectators, surprised they could all fit into the maternity room to be honest.

Well Aberdeen Shrimper I was at the game at Rochdale the day you were born :

ROCHDALE away 1-0
Saturday 17th February 1968 Division 4

An overnight trip again for this one, well you want to see the delights of Rochdale don't you? It was barely light when we got there, some lads followed the Milkman around, and scrawled, in felt tip markers, on milk bottles "SUFC" or "Bill Best" etc. I bet the waking locals must have been impressed. Our usual good old kick around followed by a lengthy session in the Pubs, although I was only 16 I was quite happy drinking with the older lads, but a pint lasted me a very long time, a) I couldn’t afford it and b) I couldn’t keep up with the others pace and quantity.

A good solid performance, and a good win, but when we got back the local's were waiting for us, it looked like turning nasty until the police arrived and moved the Rochdale fans on, one common chant at most grounds was "We'll see you all outside" this was a reality not an idle threat. This was why everyone stuck together, safety in numbers, stragglers could be picked off

I was not born on a Saturday but here’s my story;

SHEFFIELD UNITED home 1-2
Saturday 2 February 1952 FACup Round 4

I was born at 6.00 a.m. on Thursday 31st January 1952 in an upstairs flat in Maldon Road, Southend, opposite the Stadium, which was then the home of Southend United. Two days later, on Saturday 2nd February 1952 Southend United were playing Bristol Rovers in a 4th Round FA Cup tie. The Bristol Rovers fans started to arrive in the early morning, as they got off their coaches they started to sing their theme song "Goodnight Irene", at which my enraged father stormed downstairs and yelled "Will you shut up, my wife has just had a baby"

That was my introduction into Southend United.

We beat Bristol Rovers 2-1 in front of a crowd of nearly 22,500 and went on to play Sheffield United in the 5th Round losing 1-2

DoDtS

Wow....that is a funny feeling mate, i was popping out in to the big bad world as you where watching the Blues!!

I too was at that Wrexham match

I was born on 28th June 1970 .. so no Blues game for me, but it was 20 years to the day after the biggest upset in World Cup history (allegedly) USA 1 England 0

BLUEBLOOD Junior was born on 16th January 2000 ... the day after we came from 3-0 at half time to draw 3-3 with Rochdale

I was born on a wednesday and....no match. Closest game to 21st Feb in 1979 was the following Saturday 24th away to Blackpool. Blues won 2-1 goals from Morris & Pountney.

I was born on Easter Sunday 1959 (29th March). On the Saturday we got beat 6-1 away at Bradford City with a 1-0 home win against Newport County on the Bank Holiday Monday.

Finished 8th that season in div 3 (equivalent of League 1) and the results suggest we were terribly inconsistent. Much like we'll end up this season I think.

Back