• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

MrB

Life President
From Football Unlimited:

Roeder reveals tumour taunts - former Hammers manager asked by fans: 'Why didn't you die three years ago?'

Potential investors be warned, involvement in West Ham is not for the faint-hearted.

Former Hammers boss Glenn Roeder has revealed the extent of the abuse he took during Newcastle's 2-0 win at Upton Park, claiming fans taunted him over the brain cancer he suffered while managing West Ham during their Premiership relegation season in 2003, dubbing him "tumour boy" and asking "why didn't you die three years ago?"

Roeder collapsed in his office in April that year, and did not return to his post until the following season, when he was sacked after a poor start in the then First Division. He had previously led the club to a seventh-place Premiership finish in 2002.

"One of the saddest things about Sunday was that when I looked at the faces of some of the people who were shouting at me, they were men of my age," Roeder said. "Men in their forties and fifties, men screaming about brain tumours and death, men who, God forbid, might find themselves in the same position as me one day.
"At least I was there to hear them yelling what they were yelling. I'm much happier that I'm alive to hear it and not lying beneath the ground somewhere. I was lying on a table for five hours when I had my brain operation and I recovered from my illness and I have moved on."

The trouble started after Roeder waved to Newcastle fans who were chanting his name - something he did on the advice of match delegate Peter Shreeves. "I didn't want any more trouble," he added. "I didn't want our result to be overshadowed. I just wanted to move on. But I think the Newcastle fans would have found it upsetting if I had not acknowledged them when they shouted my name. I do feel that in this politically correct world of ours, the majority stay silent and we let ourselves be controlled by the loud minority.

They're lovable, aren't they, those claret & blue t*ssers.

ghostface.gif

No wonder they were so much happier to accept Lee Bowyer than the rest of the country - they probably think of him as one of their own.

Sooner they get relegated the better, I would LOVE IT if Southend go to Upton Park & beat them 3-1 in Championship match for 2007/08 season!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 20 2006,15:53)]They're lovable, aren't they, those claret & blue t*ssers.

ghostface.gif
The fact that two of their "fans" had the gall to complain to the police when Roeder acknowldeged the Newcastle supporters. And then the poor bloke had to apologise FFS.
ghostface.gif

Not surprised here - West Ham fans are some of the worst fans I've ever met - including Manure and Chelski ones. It's a disgrace that Roeder should be made to apologise for applauding Newcastle's fans.

The West Ham fans should be ashamed of themselves, but then again they should be ashamed of a lot of things I hear them say.

Scum sums it up i think.

I'm sure not all of them are but i've not met a nice one yet!

Roeder is nothing but a gentleman who has always handled criticism and adversity with nothing but dignity.
The Hammers fans (?) who done this should be banned from any stadium for life (because, lets face it, if they ain't allowed into Upton Park they'll come to the Hall) and have their arms surgically shortened to stop their knuckles scraping the floor.
Absolute pondlife.
down.gif

"One of the saddest things about Sunday was that when I looked at the faces of some of the people who were shouting at me, they were men of my age," Roeder said. "Men in their forties and fifties, men screaming about brain tumours and death, men who, God forbid, might find themselves in the same position as me one day.

you aren't implying something are you Glenn?
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ Sep. 23 2006,16:15)]"One of the saddest things about Sunday was that when I looked at the faces of some of the people who were shouting at me, they were men of my age," Roeder said. "Men in their forties and fifties, men screaming about brain tumours and death, men who, God forbid, might find themselves in the same position as me one day.

wink.gif
I believe that the majority of west ham fans are immune to brain tumours anyway, due to not possessing a brain.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Sep. 28 2006,16:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ Sep. 23 2006,16:15)]"One of the saddest things about Sunday was that when I looked at the faces of some of the people who were shouting at me, they were men of my age," Roeder said. "Men in their forties and fifties, men screaming about brain tumours and death, men who, God forbid, might find themselves in the same position as me one day.

wink.gif
I believe that the majority of west ham fans are immune to brain tumours anyway, due to not possessing a brain.
haha.

I think you're tarring them all with the same brush. The vast, vast majority of Hammers fans I know are good, decent people, always ready to have a pint and decent chat about football - not just their team but football in general - and sprinkle their observations with wry humour. They are certainly a lot less overbearing than so-called supporters of the more media-obsessed clubs.

99% of their support will be just as horrified and appalled by the behaviour exhibited by some of their following.

Must be just the Spammer fans round here then, because 80% of the ones I've met are arrogant, dismissive, condescending and often downright rude.
I try not to engage them in football related talk, because mostly they haven't a clue and even if they do, they're unwilling to talk about anything other than West Ham.

Back