• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

West Ham United

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ May 19 2005,13:13)]Maybe you're right, but having had the argument and agreed to disagree I don't see why it was necessary to rub it in. We've established that Wet Sham aren't exactly loved around here so why gloat when they win? Should Shrimpers fans with family Col Ewe or Borient links do the same?
Because he's 'taking the ****'. Believe me Mike is as dedicated a Southend fan as you'll find and would only want what was best for the club regardless of any family ties with other clubs. Any comments on here are purely a wind up and trying to provoke a reaction - which is exactly what you gave him!

I can almost hear him chortling away in Spain right now.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ May 19 2005,13:47)]Mike is as dedicated a Southend fan as you'll find and would only want what was best for the club regardless of any family ties with other clubs.
Except for wanting the number one supported club in Southend to become an even greater attraction for new, young fans of course. Sorry, but I still find the idea of a Wet Scum promotion as funny as that of a Col Ewe one - you'll just have to excuse the temporary loss of my sense of humour.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ May 19 2005, 14:52)]

...you'll just have to excuse the temporary loss of my sense of humour.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 19 2005,15:27)]

Sense of humour failure on the South Coast maybe?!

WS
Nothing gets past you , does it?

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ May 19 2005,14:52)]Except for wanting the number one supported club in Southend to become an even greater attraction for new, young fans of course.
Which part of 'he's taking the ****' don't you understand mate?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ May 19 2005,15:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ May 19 2005,14:52)]Except for wanting the number one supported club in Southend to become an even greater attraction for new, young fans of course.
Which part of 'he's taking the ****' don't you understand mate?
From this thread and the other I'm under the impression that he really does want them to go up, in spite of the potential implications for us. If I'm wrong then, of course, I apologise. He's perfectly entitled to that opinion, but as I said I think that rubbing it in makes as much sense as it would to do the same over Col Ewe or Borient. In any case I'm sure he's big enough to speak for himself - you're not his dad are you?

tounge.gif

[b said:
Do we know that that's the case? Alas, I have a horrible feeling that the #1 supported club in Southend is probably the Spammers.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ May 19 2005,16:03)]you're not his dad are you?

tounge.gif
Ooooooooooo.....what a horrid thought!

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ May 18 2005,23:30)]A Premier$hite Wet Sham side marketting themselves on our doorstep are far greater competition when it comes to snaring future fans than a Coca Cola league one, so if your allegiance is truly to the Shrimpers I really don't see how you can be happy about it.
Sadly true.

Whilst our gates aren't as reliant on Wet Sham as Leyton Nil's, I expect we'll get a few more fans through the gates if the hamsters fail in the play-offs once more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2005,16:10)]
[b said:
Do we know that that's the case?  Alas, I have a horrible feeling that the #1 supported club in Southend is probably the Spammers.

sad.gif
I'm sure it was mentioned on here, but when West Ham built their Club Shop in Southend wasn't it on the basis that, according to their research, they were the number supported Club in Essex, with us in 5th or 6th?! Wonder where we are now?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ May 19 2005,17:03)]From this thread and the other I'm under the impression that he really does want them to go up, in spite of the potential implications for us.
What "potential implications"?!

Oooo ... you really are a drama queen!

WS

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 19 2005,19:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sussex Shrimper @ May 19 2005,17:03)]From this thread and the other I'm under the impression that he really does want them to go up, in spite of the potential implications for us.
What "potential implications"?!

Oooo ... you really are a drama queen!

WS

biggrin.gif
The implication that, for instance:

100 people a game decide to follow the scum instead of us next year (a VERY conservative estimate IMO, given that our crowds are up almost 2000 this year).

Say the club lose £10 per head as a result - I don't know what the actual figure would be, does anyone else?

Over 23 league games that's £23,000, and some from lost cup gates. If it totals £30,000 that's a Fredy Eastwood - laughing matter to you perhaps but not to me when I remember how far we are in debt. That also doesn't take into account lost future revenue from kids who will be swayed by seeing them play Arse and Manure on Sky.

Anyway, forgive me for starting something contentious and interesting - maybe it's time for another "who's looking forward to Saturday" thread, unless anyone else can think of something more banal?

tounge.gif

Personally i couldn't care less if the Hamsters went up.
I will never ever see them as a rival to us, just becasue their East London fans got out of the 'ghetto' and moved to the sunny shores of Southend.
Round this way the most shirts you see are Chelsea, and interestingly Millwall but i'm sure the supporters of Maidstone (if they ever got a league club again) would not count Millwall as a rival.

But for the record i think they will lose in the final to whoever they meet.

Surely for the West Ham haters here though the thought of them in the Premiersh*te will be a joy, remember they have NO money and their current team plus some freebies would be the one competeing.
Its struggled in the Championship so god knows what they'd do up a level.

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until people realise the truth, the way to tell who your rivals are is to walk around Southend, be it the high street, the sea front or the local drinking establishments and count the number of opposition shirts.

I've never seen a C********r shirt (apart from the one Napster wears or when we've played Col Ewe), but my view is regularly polluted by claret and blue. We may not (for the time being) compete against them on the pitch, but we sure as hell have to compete against them off the pitch. For a club approx £8 million in debt we can't afford to have fans stolen off our doorstop by wet sham.

Stick your head in the sand if you want to, but Worse Ham are our rivals. My only consolation is, as Kim Mitten says, if they go up they are likely to come straight back down again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ May 20 2005,10:17)]Stick your head in the sand if you want to, but Worse Ham are our rivals. My only consolation is, as Kim Mitten says, if they go up they are likely to come straight back down again.
That's no consolation. If they blow it this year then the Sky payments for relegated clubs stop and they're in real financial trouble.
Snigger snigger
laugh.gif

Does anyone know if Preston are likely to sell out their allocation? IF we make it it would be good to make a weekend of it and cheer them on too, but I'm not going to deny a seat to one of their fans.

Does it matter if kids from Southend go and support someone else? It's not as if they have a sense of loyalty. The worldwide multimedia has saturated us all and there's no longer that sense of a "local club" being the only team you can watch. Just switch on your SKY digibox and you can follow whoever you want. You can't FORCE kids to go down to Roots Hall. If they can afford to jump onto a train and watch a far better quality of football up at Upton Park, White Hart Lane, Highbury, Stamford Bridge, even The Valley, then so I see no reason for you to get so upset about it. When I lived in Southend, I saw far more replica shirts from the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Newcastle United ... are you going to start hating them as well? Southend United will NEVER attract the interests of all the kids in the town, no matter how many family days and cheap tickets you throw at them. They have a choice and if they choose not to support Southend United then so be it. They don't warrant someone wandering around after them, waving a walking stick and shouting about supporting your local team. Those days are over ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 20 2005,19:30)]Does it matter if kids from Southend go and support someone else? It's not as if they have a sense of loyalty. The worldwide multimedia has saturated us all and there's no longer that sense of a "local club" being the only team you can watch. Just switch on your SKY digibox and you can follow whoever you want. You can't FORCE kids to go down to Roots Hall. If they can afford to jump onto a train and watch a far better quality of football up at Upton Park, White Hart Lane, Highbury, Stamford Bridge, even The Valley, then so I see no reason for you to get so upset about it. When I lived in Southend, I saw far more replica shorts from the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Newcastle United ... are you going to start hating them as well? Southend United will NEVER attract the interests of all the kids in the town, no matter how many family days and cheap tickets you throw at them. They have a choice and if they choose not to support Southend United then so be it. They don't warrant someone wandering around after them, waving a walking stick and shouting about supporting your local team. Those days are over ...

WS
But if I'm travelling home on C2C on a Friday night after work and a few beers with a loud mouth West Ham fan who hasn't got off the train by Benfleet am I still allowed to slag him off and threaten to punch his lights out if he doesn't stop going on about the f**king 'Ammers...................?

wink.gif

Back