• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's gone wrong?

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Reading the other threads on here, I have to wonder exactly what has happened to see us go from a team that won 8 matches on the trot (scoring 21 goals in the process) to one that has scored just 6 goals in 7 games - with 3 of them against Bristol City.

I have to say that it would seem the midfield is letting us down.  Take the Bristol result out of it - as that is the only league win in the last 6 - how long since Mahers last decent game?  JCR is a showman but has not so far delivered much end product.  Gutts has been great but surely Smith is the natural replacement for him.  Bentleys strength is missed, but I think he needs to be wide right (if Tilly insists on playing Maher).  Cole hasn't looked the part for a while now.

We have not been creating chances lately and this is down to the midfield, which is also our strongest area in terms of competition.  So lets see it shaken up a bit.  We have Smith and Pettefer waiting and Gower nearly fit.  It's not working as it is so change it please Tilly.

one thing i notice with cole is, he plays well till someone puts a strong challenge in on him then he doesn't play well for the rest of the match

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Nov. 21 2005,00:37)]one thing i notice with cole is, he plays well till someone puts a strong challenge in on him then he doesn't play well for the rest of the match
I think we'll see the best of Cole next year.

agree, he's getting use to the league and when he get use to the tackles he will become a better player

Trouble is with Cole, that he gets a whack every game leaving him in a heap. Its become a bit of a running joke with the people I go to the games with.

Even Saturday, Cole clearly had the beating of the full back for pace, yet only once did he knock it past him then he didnt believe himself that he could get there and that was about it for his day.

Cole has done ok, but time for a re-shuffle - Bentley on the right, (ooo-ahhh) JCR on the left and Smith/Gutts when fit in the middle.

Well personally lying third in league 1 something like 45 places higher than we were 15 months ago is hardly an indication that anything is wrong.
However, I did feel that we were a little fortunate at times towards the end of that 8 match run, and to me the difference , certainly since the demolition of yeovil, has been Gower not playing. JCR , although being very tricky, highly comitted and at time, exciting to watch, does not have Gowers cutting edge, and I feel, does not get the ball in the box as often as Gower.
I am not having a go at JCR here, it is just that this to me is the difference over that past 6 weeks.

That and teams now know that Mitchell can be very dangerous unless you kick lumps off him early...

As anyone who has kids can confirm, your first baby is disruptive to your life and sleep patterns so I think Mitchell needs to be used as and when, because I bet he is not getting much sleep and probably needs to adjust at home.

Don't be too harsh on this talented 19 year old.

we have gone from a side where goals were coming from everyone to now where we know the goals are coming from nowhere

Flavs should be back soon which will shore things up at the back (
smile.gif
). I'd definately like to see Gower back in the side asap as he was starting to look back to his best before picking up a bad injury. And I am worried about the make-up of the midfield. People are clamouring for Jay Smith to get back in now as Guttridge is out, but for me Smith & Gutts are totally different players. Smith is a cultured play-maker whereas Gutts is box-to-box workhouse who doesn't give the opposition a moment on the ball. If you're playing Smith I think it has to be for Maher, with Bentley or Pettefer deputising for Gutts.

Thought to be honest, I don't see much wrong. We're still third in League One afterall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Nov. 21 2005,08:27)]Thought to be honest, I don't see much wrong. We're still third in League One afterall.
Yes we are 3rd but as the underlying message in this thread reads we are 3rd because of a fantastic run of games where goals came from everywhere and we looked world beaters. People just cannot see where the goals are coming from at the mo. If this continues we will be saying we are still 4th, 5th, 6th and so on as the games pass us by.

I never imagined we would be as high up the table as we are now but, how we are playing at the moment is kinda how I expected.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Nov. 21 2005,09:27)]Thought to be honest, I don't see much wrong. We're still third in League One afterall.
Which is the most important thing

I think we just need to find that creative spark again. We started off so well we all knew we would hit a sticky patch at one point and this is it. We just need to carry on getting behind our boys and it will come good again. We have the players, the coaches and the manager to getting it all working again.

We are still 3rd in this league, 4 points off top and well clear of the danger zone down the bottom - which is where we thought we may be at this time of year. We are exceding every supporters expectations and once we get over this rut we will back on track again. the main thing is that fans don't turn on the team, if say, that we don't win the next 2 or 3 games. We need to back them all the way and we will get get back to winning constantly again soon.

SOUTHEND UNITED FOREVER!

I hate to say it, but I think supporters have to get past this 'We are third in the league, we have surpassed all our expectations etc etc'. It is irrelvant now to be completely honest.

It doesnt matter that we got promoted last season, it doesnt matter that this time last year we were all thinking the playoffs were just a distant dream to get out of League Two, what matters is the here and now.

We have proved that we can not only hold our own in this division, we can have a very good stab at getting out of it. So when you get performances like the last two games, then there are no excuses for those im afraid.

Yes of course we are going to have a dip in form, and of course we are going to lose games, but its the manner in which we have lost the last two games that is the problem for me.

We havent looked convincing since we beat Bristol City away, and as other people have pointed out, the goals have dried up, and for me, the defence is not doing its job properly.

Perhaps it is time for Tilly to shake things up a bit, I think Smith should start against Port Vale next week. I have no problem with him starting in the middle with Maher, and I would also give Bentley a place on the right side of midfield, but I would certainly not drop JCR.

All this talk of no end product is really getting a bit boring. Not only does he get forward, put in some super balls, but is there anyone else in our midfield who tracks back, tackles and works as hard as him on the defensive side of the game? Nope, no one.

He should be switch to the left hand side and maybe give Cole a little time to re evaluate his own game.

As for the defence, im sorry, im not getting involved in a Bart v Daryl row, but it is no coincidence the defence look more shaky now he is in goal because he simply doesnt inspire confidence. The back four are always waiting for him to drop a cross, or do the opposite and stay on his line and leave them to deal with it.

We havent been the same team defensively this season as we were last, and thats to be exepected as we are playing against better quality strikers, but by the same token, our back four has to step upto the plate. Eage has done that very well, but Barrett for me is finding it a lot tougher than he did last season, and as much as I hate to say it, I think Tilly could do worse than to start looking for a new centre half in January, if for no other reason, than to put a little pressure on the back four.

I dont think it is quite panic stations yet, but we have to reverse this run of form as soon as we can otherwise we will see all the good work we have done so far this season go to waste.

Back