• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What a difference clean sheets make!

PAK

Dont really think we have played paricually well (or better than during our bad run)
Difference is all about only conceding 2 goals in 5 games ( compared to 44 in previous 27.
All to do with the class act we brought in at centre back - Dervite. He's what we've needed for a couple of years.

Not quite as simple as that, it's Dervite coupled with Clarke coming into his own, and the resultant confidence and competence shown by every member of the defensive quintet. I dread to think what would happen if Barrett came back into the middle now.

Not quite as simple as that, it's Dervite coupled with Clarke coming into his own, and the resultant confidence and competence shown by every member of the defensive quintet. I dread to think what would happen if Barrett came back into the middle now.
Couldn't agree more. Barrett & Clarke playing further apart work well, Dervite has added a good solid no frills brick wall. I'm more confident about our defence than I've been all season.

Adam Barrett isn't the problem. The Barrett/Clarke partnership was the problem.

I'm sure Adam Barrett would do equally well alongside Dervite who is the strongest centre half we have had for ages and exactly what we have needed.

However, having Adam Barrett at left back has equally sured up our defence since as good as Herd may be in the future, he's not ready yet and defensively very poor and has a lot to earn.

To dread to think of Adam Barrett being back at centre half is absolute nonsense.

He'd die for the cause and in case you've forgotten, isn't the one waiting to walk away at the end of the season on a free to capture a signing on fee.

Lets see who that is. Yes, Peter Clarke.

Committed to the cause.................I think not.

For one who always harps on about the commitment of your beloved one, McCormack, it sure is a contradiction in thoughts.

I think OBL was stating that she would dread AB coming back into the middle- as in the Barrett/Clarke partnership. Barrett/Derivte would be an excellent duo also, but Clarkey has really come into his own since Dorian's arrival.

We dont look like conceding goals at the mo which has changed the face of things completely, with AB and clarkey in the middle we were poop at the back for a while(2 years roughly) but the introduction of deadly dorian has been great, the fact we have not conceded in open play since his arrival speaks volumes this coupled with sankofa developing into a good right back has meant the whole team can play a bit more positively knowing that we have the quality at the back to deal with the oppo

We need to keep Dervite. Very solid defender and did anyone see that tackle near the haklf way line when he came forward with the ball. It was late in the 2nd half, but he went passed one played and then went through another, who land upside down on the deck.

Now he dosnt pull any punches, total comittment and balls of steel.

We must sign this guy if there is any chance at all of keeping him

Only mistake last night was where he kicked at air and let Hooper through to have a shot that was fantastically stopped by Mildenhall.

As was mentioned by my Spurs supporting friend sitting next to me "You can see he's a Spurs player deep down"

Otherwise a fantastic performance.

I think basically we have gone more defensive in midfield too, which has made us far more solid. But its at the expense of free flowing attacking football we play with two wingers.

Dervite would be a great aquisition lets face it but i doubt Spurs would let him go and certainly not cheap enough for us. However as i would think Clarkey will be off at the end of the season being out of contract, we should be pulling all the stops out in getting Dervite otherwise will be in need of a Centre Half and a Left back again.

Shame Zoltan left really!;)

Tilly will certainly have a better idea than us as to the prospects of signing Dervite on
permanently. Personally, I would put the odds on this at a bit longer than us making the play-offs........not wanting to be too pessimistic about it! (Certainly if we got to the Championship the odds would seriously shorten).
What Tilly should, and probably is doing, at the moment, is pulling out all the stops to find a replacement for Dervite next season.

Last edited:
I think OBL was stating that she would dread AB coming back into the middle- as in the Barrett/Clarke partnership. Barrett/Derivte would be an excellent duo also, but Clarkey has really come into his own since Dorian's arrival.

Thank you for interpreting my post in a way that Benfleet Blue might understand, didn't think it was that obscure a point.

Last edited:
Adam Barrett isn't the problem. The Barrett/Clarke partnership was the problem.

I'm sure Adam Barrett would do equally well alongside Dervite who is the strongest centre half we have had for ages and exactly what we have needed.

However, having Adam Barrett at left back has equally sured up our defence since as good as Herd may be in the future, he's not ready yet and defensively very poor and has a lot to earn.

To dread to think of Adam Barrett being back at centre half is absolute nonsense.

He'd die for the cause and in case you've forgotten, isn't the one waiting to walk away at the end of the season on a free to capture a signing on fee.

Lets see who that is. Yes, Peter Clarke.

Committed to the cause.................I think not.

For one who always harps on about the commitment of your beloved one, McCormack, it sure is a contradiction in thoughts.

Absolutely agree. Both Barrett and Clarke need a defender of quality next to them as they are incapable of leading the defence. Individually there isn't much between them and I'm not too bothered who plays alongside Dervite

To be fair, when he plays Clarke is committed to the cause.

I think basically we have gone more defensive in midfield too, which has made us far more solid. But its at the expense of free flowing attacking football we play with two wingers.

Excelant point. Its a trade off you make if you want to be an atractive attacking side but one that constantly leaks goals or a side that grinds out results but doesn't necessary look very pretty. Its really about bums on seats at the end of the day. Do we the supporters want to see our side win 1 and occasionally 2 nil every week with perhaps 3 atemps on goal each game or an open display where we share 4 or 5 goals sometimes in our favour sometimes not.

Excelant point. Its a trade off you make if you want to be an atractive attacking side but one that constantly leaks goals or a side that grinds out results but doesn't necessary look very pretty. Its really about bums on seats at the end of the day. Do we the supporters want to see our side win 1 and occasionally 2 nil every week with perhaps 3 atemps on goal each game or an open display where we share 4 or 5 goals sometimes in our favour sometimes not.

Man United destroy that theory, I think attacking football can go hand in hand with having a tight defense. We definitely weren't a boring team who sat back when we got 2 promotions

Man United destroy that theory, I think attacking football can go hand in hand with having a tight defense. We definitely weren't a boring team who sat back when we got 2 promotions
Indeed, we had a wonderfully balanced side. Eastwood and Gower provided the flair, Maher provided quality and composure on the ball, and the likes of Bentley, Guttridge and Pettefer added steel. And, of course, behind them we had Sodje, Edwards and Prior who brought invaluable experience to the backline, as well as the never-say-die attributes of Barrett.

The last few games have just about been getting points no matter what and we have done that!

Back