• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know it is a little more exciting to talk about strikers but keeping a clean sheet is just as important - if we hadn't let in the last minute goal against Accers we would be in division 3 etcetera.......

If we sign Hills then I am happy with left back and right back (and cover with Gilbert and Leonard) but we realy do need, I think, a central defender to partner Philips with Barker and Prosser as cover.

That also means a new captain for next season ......

If we scored more against accers we would be up too:)

News re Phillips would be nice. Will barker still be here too ?

Deffinately think another centre back is a priority obviously along with a new keeper. Get the back five together early and let them gel together. Sadly I don't think Barker has the legs to be a first choice player next season.

IMO Mohsni should partner Phillips.
Can't see him ousting Barker though....................

Early days yet. 4 of our defenders are out of contract (Barker, Phillips, Gilbert and Prosser) so we could have a new look back 4 (back 5 including keeper) come August though hope at least Phillips will stay and Prosser is good cover. Would quite gladly see the back of Gilbert and Barker and sign someone with a bit more pace at the back. Be quite happy with Lee Hills though seems to be a question mark over his fitness.

I think it's time to give Luke Prosser a run in the side with a strong partner alongside him. That's Phillips for me, so maybe time for Barker to move on - to be fair the longer he's been with us, the more he's struggled.
Mohsni should be playing at the back, or up front if he's to be Dickinson's replacement. Not in midfield.

I think it's time to give Luke Prosser a run in the side with a strong partner alongside him. That's Phillips for me, so maybe time for Barker to move on - to be fair the longer he's been with us, the more he's struggled.
Mohsni should be playing at the back, or up front if he's to be Dickinson's replacement. Not in midfield.

Not a massive fan of prosser. Rather we brought someone in.

Mohsni hasn't played at the back for us in ages and has far more effect on the game in attacking positions. I'm still not sure where though !

Prosser is defensively solid, but he needs to work on his passing if he is going to be first choice (I know his instructions may be to get it out as far as possible, but it would be nice if the long balls were directed to a player at least.) Mohsni needs to be striker for me, or play just behind the strikers, winger doesn't suit him, and everytime he's been in defence I worry we are going to concede a penalty. Would expect Gilbert to resign, but we need to bring in competition for his role or else he will revert back to rubbish again. I wonder if Phillips will demand higher wages due to being Southend's Player of the Season? Either way I'd expect us to bring in another centre back to replace Barker, unfortunately it seems age is catching up on him.

It seems the days of barker are nearing an end at roots hall.
I know that i have slated barker for having no pace in the past, but he has become a liability to the team.
We need another cb urgently if we are to push for promotion next season !

I think calling Barker a liability is a tad harsh, but Id agree I think we should be looking strengthening. Im not convinced Phillips will play a full season either (if we eventually get round to signing him)

I agree with points made about Mohsni's defensive incapabilities which clearly need working on but, with the squad as it currently stands (making the assumption all our defenders were to re-sign for next season), he would be my choice to partner Phillips at CB. His aerial ability is useful during set-pieces, both attacking and defensive, and with the likes of Kalala sitting back during attacking set-pieces Mohsni can still be the attacking threat he is known for without having to sit up top waiting for a ball to be hoofed his way while Barker scrambles around trying to clear balls that he has, once again, allowed to bounce over him. If we can hang on to Hills then a back four of Hills, Phillips, Mohsni and Clohessey would be pretty good IMO.

My other issue with playing Mohsni up front is that it invariably means we are playing hoofball. An effective strategy at times, it should always be plan B, reserved for the desperate last few minutes of a match if we're struggling to break teams down using plan A (which, since the Gavin Tomlin news, appears to be playing football on the floor (thank for that)). As Crewe proved in the play-offs, route one football can be adjusted to and dealt with while quality passing and movement will usually win the day. Rightly so. If you throw Mohsni up top for the last 10 mins then defenses will struggle to adapt, as proven against Crewe.

My final point on Mohsni's position is that, with Big Bad Barry Corr hopefully fit to play next season, is it not overkill to have 2 big target men up front? I'd say so. Especially since BBBC does a better job of it than Mohsni.

I hear elsewhere that we're interested in Rory McArdle. Released by Aberdeen last season and played for Sheff Wed under Luggy so could be a possibility....

I hear elsewhere that we're interested in Rory McArdle. Released by Aberdeen last season and played for Sheff Wed under Luggy so could be a possibility....

I'd guess that he is one of our main targets.

I agree with points made about Mohsni's defensive incapabilities which clearly need working on but, with the squad as it currently stands (making the assumption all our defenders were to re-sign for next season), he would be my choice to partner Phillips at CB. His aerial ability is useful during set-pieces, both attacking and defensive, and with the likes of Kalala sitting back during attacking set-pieces Mohsni can still be the attacking threat he is known for without having to sit up top waiting for a ball to be hoofed his way while Barker scrambles around trying to clear balls that he has, once again, allowed to bounce over him. If we can hang on to Hills then a back four of Hills, Phillips, Mohsni and Clohessey would be pretty good IMO.

My other issue with playing Mohsni up front is that it invariably means we are playing hoofball. An effective strategy at times, it should always be plan B, reserved for the desperate last few minutes of a match if we're struggling to break teams down using plan A (which, since the Gavin Tomlin news, appears to be playing football on the floor (thank for that)). As Crewe proved in the play-offs, route one football can be adjusted to and dealt with while quality passing and movement will usually win the day. Rightly so. If you throw Mohsni up top for the last 10 mins then defenses will struggle to adapt, as proven against Crewe.

My final point on Mohsni's position is that, with Big Bad Barry Corr hopefully fit to play next season, is it not overkill to have 2 big target
men up front? I'd say so. Especially since BBBC does a better job of it than Mohsni.

All good points - Moshni makes such a good super-sub that I would almost say that his best position is on the bench until 30 minutes to go!

As for Prosser, a longer spell in the team might be the answer but his firm so far has been inconsistent ..... and that means it is difficult to keep him in the team each week. His other weakness, for me, is that he clears the ball long and high all the time - but without direction which means we lose possession time and time again when we are under pressure.

I've just read on another thread that Prosser has been released. Can anyone confirm?

I'm confused about the whole player situation ....:nope:

Back