• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What are Southend Council doing about it?

Sean 2

Director
Simple question.
Colchester United have a nice shiny stadium thanks in large to the council over there.

How about it Southend? Heard you making all the right noises in the Echo about our plight, but what exactly are you doing except standing by 'till we go under?
Haven't we given or going to give a big lump sum to these suits?

I wanna know more about these people who run things in the local area. What are they doing?

Thats a valid point s+tv .. all well and good saying they fully support us but just how much are in the council reserves ??

I stated in an earlier post that i had e-mailed Southend council, among others asking this very question, as yet i have not had a response or even an acknowledgment, it really will need everyone to bombard the council with letters, e-mails and calls just to make them see the strength of feeling, i very much doubt that the powers that be at Southend read this forum. UTB.

I stated in an earlier post that i had e-mailed Southend council, among others asking this very question, as yet i have not had a response or even an acknowledgment, it really will need everyone to bombard the council with letters, e-mails and calls just to make them see the strength of feeling, i very much doubt that the powers that be at Southend read this forum. UTB.

I'd say the council are between a rock and a hard place, and despite what we would like to think I would say that majority of local people wouldn't care less if Southend United went tits up. Furthermore I would reckon that the majority of council tax payers wouldn't want to see the proceeds of their council tax bailing out the football club with a loan, when they have no idea when it would be repaid.

Sorry if that's raining on anyone's parade but that's the way I view it.

I'd say the council are between a rock and a hard place, and despite what we would like to think I would say that majority of local people wouldn't care less if Southend United went tits up. Furthermore I would reckon that the majority of council tax payers wouldn't want to see the proceeds of their council tax bailing out the football club with a loan, when they have no idea when it would be repaid.

Sorry if that's raining on anyone's parade but that's the way I view it.

You're right. The most we can expect from the council is that they are not obstructive in any way. There is no way they can lend money to a property developer because he happens to own the town's football club.

I think the council would be better off pumping more cash into Renaissance Southend seeing as they are doing such a sterling job.

They are too busy spending £20m on a new vision for the end of the pier including the worlds biggest rollercoaster, an Abu Dhabi style F1 circuit, 3 lapdancing clubs and a Starbucks.

I sent an email to the council about the planning application, asking to bring the meeting forward. I did get a reply but was told to contact the club. Go figure.

Q. What are Southend council doing about it?

A. Council members are currently sitting about, stuffing their fat red faces with foie gras, caviar and the finest wines.
The respective members will then go out for some shameless photo opportunities before returning for an afternoon tea of at least 12 of the cutest doe-eyed bunny rabbits chopped up in a bap. Then they'll all laugh themselves to sleep.

Kind Regards

The official line from the council is that, while the club is an asset to the town, they won't be helping out financially, because it is a private entity. That is from the council leaders when we interviewed them last week :)

Just to play Devils Advocate, why on earth should they do anything about it ?

Im sure the majority of southend residents who lets face it arent supporters would love seeing their tax money being spent on a struggling private business.

Colchester did get a stadium from the council but Im sure have to pay a hefty price for it rental wise.

Frankly if Southend Council got involved it would take them 10 years to decide what pies should be sold in the ground.

But maybe we could get onions in the burgers again, as the allow them on the seafront establishments?

I still say that I'm hopeful the council won't allow this to happen - they want Fossetts for 2012 and the Olympics, and they want it for the longer term as well. The conferencing facilities planned are way better than anything else we have in the vicinity and the potential for revenue from stadium gigs and such must surely be making the pound signs dance in front of their eyes.

If the admin order is avoided on Wednesday, then I would hope some kind of mutually beneficient scheme can be worked out between the council, Sainsburys and Ron (or whoever ends up owning the Club).

Back