• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What do you miss most about Southend....

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
For me Southend has never been the same after Rosehills closed down.

Sta-prest.
Farrahs
Fred Perry and Slazenger school jumpers.
Slim Jim ties.
Lois Cords
Salmon pink Le Shark cardigans.

Todays kids look like a bunch of mugs in comparison.

The old Esplanade pub, with post football Saturday nights spent in "the cage" dancing to Swamp Thing by the Grid, and Informer by Snow. Not the same since it was turned into another soulless family pub
mad.gif

I always found Rosehills to be overpriced
wink.gif

You missed Wrangler cords!

I miss Our Price, that was a decent record shop, also I miss Keddies for Xmas shopping, Ad-Lib, Roller City, playing Kick and Rush on the arcade down Peter Pans...

The Boston Hall Pub which was close to the white shelter at the bottom of Crowstone Road, now a block of residental flats.

The Smack Inn before they added "Ye" and turned it into one big bar and had those stupid lifeless dummies sitting at the bar. Didn't they have enough befre changing it?

Chesters - dancefloor the size of a postage stamp but an excellent drinking den for late night quaffing.

Keddies.

Good call on the Esplanade, GNH.

The Westcliff Leisure Centre - Sunday morning in the gym and pool (yes, I was fit back then!) followed by copious amounts of alcohol on the boatdeck in the sun.

The original Hog's Head.

I used to prefer:-
The Duke of Cambridge in Shoebury now also a block of flats!
The Golden Goblet now a McDonalds.
The Old Blue Boar at lunchtimes was good.

Don't go to pubs much nowdays it's not the same since they became 'all seater'.

Chesters was a strange place most of it's probably still there under the ground in the High Street, the old entrance is still in place. Scamps was a better place
wink.gif

What was the name of the nightclub inside the westcliff leisure center ?spent many a great night in there dancing to chaka Khan

Rosehills (wearing different colour luminous socks on each foot)
Parrot Records
The old Odean
Beaties toy shop for Star Wars figures

[b said:
Quote[/b] (David Essex @ Oct. 12 2006,15:50)]What was the name of the nightclub inside the westcliff leisure center ?spent many a great night in there dancing to chaka Khan
Oooh, I remember that. It had a staircase that swept around the room in a giant curve and passed over the DJ stand; you could lob peanuts onto the decks ... the name escapes me for the moment ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GNH @ Oct. 12 2006,13:46)]The old Esplanade pub, with post football Saturday nights spent in "the cage" dancing to Swamp Thing by the Grid, and Informer by Snow. Not the same since it was turned into another soulless family pub
mad.gif
As well as some great live bands during the week.

RIP The (proper) Esplanade

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Oct. 12 2006,15:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 12 2006,13:59)]Roller City
Good call. Many a Friday night spent down there cutting some shapes.
whatever happened to that place? its just not the same without it....sob  
down.gif

haha yeah the old odeon was quality!! my first film memory is watching home alone 2 there, it was amazing!

I remember queuing up outside the old Odeon to watch Star Wars on the opening day. My brother and I, plus a couple of mates, arrived at just after 8am and there were already a dozen or so people in front of us. Doors opened at 1.15pm so we had a long wait ahead of us. Luckily, this was 1977 so we didn't have tw&ts dressed as stormtroopers or jedi knights or Darth Vader waving f%&king little plastic lightsabres in our faces whilst we waited - we simply wanted to know what all the fuss was about; we wanted to be the first to see this amazing new film. By mid-morning the queue stretched around the block as far as The Dickens - and probably a little further - and by midday the end of the queue appeared in front of us as the far corner!! Amazing! And the film didn't let us down at all; it's starting to look a bit dated now but back in the late 70s it was the dogs b******s! (Well, it still is!) Anyone remember all the turge that came out in the two years or so afterwards? Low budget sci-fi like the awful 'Shape of Things to Come' with Jack Palance. Speaking of Mr Palance, who also remembers 'Hawk the Slayer'?! I watched in with two mates in the smaller Odeon theatre one rainy afternoon in 1980; we were the ONLY people in the place!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 12 2006,22:21)]I remember queuing up outside the old Odeon to watch Star Wars on the opening day.
I remember queuing up well after the opening day to watch Star Wars it had been out a while and we were still round the back of 'Presto' do you remember the smell from their air vents, what a whiff! No on-line booking in those days, no multi-screens!

Also remember the queues for 'Jaws' at the ABC.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (David Essex @ Oct. 12 2006,14:50)]What was the name of the nightclub inside the westcliff leisure center ?spent many a great night in there dancing to chaka Khan
Was it Pimpernels ?

Was it Pimpernels that does ring a bell....can anyone remember the name of the club that was in the corner of the precinct near to victoria station

The Tavern in the Town - where Clinton Cards is now

The Ritz Cinema, many happy memories of pre pubescent fumblmgs in the back row.

As a nipper I well remember the original Talza arcade where you could buy broken biscuits, and the wonderful smells of cheese and ham and fresh produce.

Back