• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Ok so we have managed to keep Lenny, which is equally as important to signing hendrie and kightly. We are led to believe that michael turner will be signing a contract soon.

We have also invested heavily in youth with around 6 youth players getting pro deals. I hope they can get some game time.

What else is required? Or do we have enough in the team and could just sign loanees if needed?

We have two keepers, but I think that neither keeper has looked like a top league 1 keeper. I hope that both do well, but just worry that this is our biggest vulnerability.

We look light at centre half, although white can cover. Both centre half's will be in the twilight of their respective careers.

Both full back positions look solid with good options either side.

Centre midfield looks strong. Both Wordsworth and Leonard are class. Wordy has a habit of missing games and Timlin is a game player but not as cultured. There is also the forgotten figure of jack bridge, who for one reason or another has not progressed as we would have hoped.

Out wide we have 3 or possibly for 4 options if you count Robinson. Kightly will obviously be the main man, but mclaughlin is also very capable. McGlashans best option is to come off the bench and use his pace against weary legs. Getting another wide man would undoubtedly be over kill.

Up top. We have cox and fortune who have already proved very useful. Although neither are quick you would expect cox to be a player always amongst the goals. Fortune plays the unselfish role , but his shooting is not at that higher level. Robinson was brought in as a 4th choice striker and does this well. More than capable if needed. Not going to score loads but is a useful player. Lastly we come to Nile Ranger who In all honesty must be a chairman and managers worst nightmare. Failed a drug test and has now been locked up for fraud against the vulnerable. Have the club made the right choice? Time will tell.
A lot was made of Nile' s lack of pre season last year but this year will be worse. Fwiw I think we should have got shot and brought in another. He has talent for sure but my god that comes with serious baggage.

I'm not sure what we need exactly but I would say that centre half is a priority and possibly another central midfielder.

If I had a choice id love Kiernan and Forrester or ben Reeves, but I think Ron's pockets have already been tested.

I'd say we need competition for Wordsworth's role as when he was injured or out of form we suffered last year. I think Wordy needs the competition and the team absolutely need the cover. It seems like we have someone in mind for that - let's hope that happens. Lenny and Tims can compete the other central midfield spot.

Then we also need quality cover with pace at centre half. All of Ferdy, Turner and White are good options but all may not be able to play a full season at full pelt.

I agree the goalkeepers seem a touch inexperienced but Smith particularly has great potential and will have benefitted from last season. I don't think we will be looking to strengthen there unless Oxley loses form or gets injured. I do think that Ox may be in his final year with us though if we go up.

Beyond that I think we have a great balanced squad now and I'd like to see more of our quality youngsters get real game time in the cups and in league matches where we are comfortably ahead.

Hendrie can play on the flank if needed. I think we have good options with players than play a couple of positions if needed.

Think we need a good young centre-half, although I think we will get someone on loan as cover.

As Spaceman says, cover in central defence and some competition/cover as a creative central midfielder for Wordsworth.

If there's any money left then possibly a short term loan striker to cover for Ranger's absence and rebuilding fitness.

I think we could do with a defensive-minded midfielder as our midfield looks quite attacking at the moment. I see this morning that Jay Spearing has been released by Bolton - someone like him (doubt we could afford him now).

It depends on when Ranger is back but a young striker on loan would be handy too. Starting the season with three strikers doesn't give us much back-up, particularly with the new loan rules, although I believe Kightly played as a second striker a few times for Burton last season.

We don't need much more, though, and I'd like to see some of these youngsters given a bit of a chance this season.

Last edited:
Kiernan, Forrester or Reeves would be fantastic, but cannot see how RM can afford another marquee signing?

Positions that concern me are; GK (both injured end of last season, and will Oxley's elbow be completely healed?) CB we need pace, and cover for CM

and also up front, as still not convinced about Robinson, and MAF is going to be 36 this year - and then there's Ranger? Who knows. I expect goals will come from Wordsworth and Kightly, but still like to see another option to partner Cox

A few players who will be able to do the running for the old men when the going gets tough when there's two games a week . A Peter Butler, Keith Jones or Mark Gower type player would do nicely.

A few players who will be able to do the running for the old men when the going gets tough when there's two games a week . A Peter Butler, Keith Jones or Mark Gower type player would do nicely.

With a couple more signings at the current level, it will be the opposition who will be doing all the running next season. :winking:

Or a Paul Clark, Mike Lapper, Steve Tilson or Dave Martin sort ..................

Some fans that believe maybe a bit more in what PB is trying to achieve here

Some fans that believe maybe a bit more in what PB is trying to achieve here ........

And a new football ground that has some character would be nice. :smile: Is that asking a bit much? Alright, I'll settle for Ron wearing a pair of wellies in a field with a spade cutting out a turf then.

Hash tag: Don'tmentiontheDome

Back