• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is a good wage?

Winkle

Manager
I have been with the same company in london for 21 yrs know and have decided at the grand old age of 41, too accept redundancy. I may be a touch naive about things monery and have lived in a bit of a cocoon the last few yrs but what does everyone consider an average wage? I am married with 2 kids and have been offered a job that isnt matching my current salary so I am in two minds what to do? Shall I hold out or shall I go for it!

I supposed you should really look at what you should accept to be able to maintain a required standard of living; with kids in tow then I suspect that such a standard requires a higher salary than others (like myself) with no kids and very little responsibilities. Just €1,000 a month keeps me and the missus happy; we sometimes struggle to reach that level, especially during the quieter winter period, but (in my opinion) there aren't many better places to be skint than Jávea.

I would guess the average UK salary is around £30K.

I may be way off though.
That seems quite high to me, but you could well be right. I thought I was paid pretty well but I earn quite bit less than that - anyone else?

I think the average wage relates largely to what job you do and what experince you have.

Also if you work in London or Southend.

Personally I think its all down to outgoings. I have never had so much money as when I was 17 took home £1200 a month ( told my Dad it was about £700 I think) and paid poor old Dad of DtS £80 a month.

Anything that pays all the bills and gives about £100 a week disposable income sounds good to me.

It depends what industry you're in though. Journalists get pitiful wages.

same here Slip....although my pay rise comes through end of June and hopefully have a few extra quid to keep me going!

I've always been quite lucky because I've combined my editorial work with commerical work as well, but it's not pretty out there. Someone needs to start buying some media advertising again!

Congratulations on the pay rise! What bit of the meeja are you in?

I've always been quite lucky because I've combined my editorial work with commerical work as well, but it's not pretty out there. Someone needs to start buying some media advertising again!

Congratulations on the pay rise! What bit of the meeja are you in?

ah not in the meeja unfortunately Slip but probably on similar type wages. The work I do is pretty high-priority and I can't actually divulge too much but it ends up in court.....and i think for what it is the wages are shocking.

ah not in the meeja unfortunately Slip but probably on similar type wages. The work I do is pretty high-priority and I can't actually divulge too much but it ends up in court.....and i think for what it is the wages are shocking.

Sounds intriguing....!

I would guess the average UK salary is around £30K.

I may be way off though.

Without giving too much away, the job I have been offered is around that figure so I am definatly going to think things over! The only good thing is that it isnt working in london anymore so that will be a bonus!

I have been with the same company in london for 21 yrs know and have decided at the grand old age of 41, too accept redundancy. I may be a touch naive about things monery and have lived in a bit of a cocoon the last few yrs but what does everyone consider an average wage? I am married with 2 kids and have been offered a job that isnt matching my current salary so I am in two minds what to do? Shall I hold out or shall I go for it!

Sorry, Winkle, I rambled on away from the point!

It depends if your salary kept going up because of long service. As you've been in the same place for enough time to experience a few booms, you could have an artificially inflated wage.

If the job description matches up and is what you want to do, and of course if you can comfortably survive on the new wage, it's probably worth going for. You can always keep your eyes open for anything else once you've got a regualr wage coming in.

I was once told that in London you should at least be looking for your wage in 1000's to equal you age in year, ie 30 years old - £30k.

All depends what area you work in, how big your mortgage is, kids etc. I always think, as long as you've got enough to pay the bills and some cash in the pocket you're not doing too bad.

When I finish my 3 months probation (i'm about halfway through) I will be on £14,300 a year but with overtime on top that rises to anything upto 20K depending on how much I do.

Still not great but better than I was on before I started this job and my money has the potential to go up as I learn more stuff.

Back