• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I have Huawei watch gt2, get around 10 to 14 days battery life - watch is around 18mth old and battery still good at the moment.
Yep a bit like Apple I got sucked into branding for no reason, don’t get me wrong, battery life apart it is excellent, apparently I can talk through it but sod that, that’s what a phone is for

The lack of a swim lido at Southend, the tide is good this week but 3 out of 4 weeks swim times are not much netter than average.
For a beach "resort" it is a poor situation and the "lagoon" near the pier is appalling.

I agree with that, I've always thought that the UK is very poor for providing outdoor swimming Lido's. I guess you could argue, in the past we didn't have the weather for it, but the UK is warming up and the need for them is becoming greater.

Imagine if the town had a nice outdoor swimming venue (pool plus good facilities), it would have been packed these last 3 months.

I don't remember the old Westcliff outdoor swimming baths, but that's something we need again.

Last edited:
@blueblueblue I do remember the old Westcliff Lido, just, @Cricko could tell you about it's opening.
I used to have swim lessons there, after that went the pool at Linderfarne Social in Valkyrie Road was used AND that was awful before Warrior Sq, which was mobbed when it opened for first few years. None were Lidos though.
A 50 meter tidal lido near Shoebury Ccmmon just to the east of the Coastguard lookout would make good use of an at present unusable seafront area.

@blueblueblue I do remember the old Westcliff Lido, just, @Cricko could tell you about it's opening.
I used to have swim lessons there, after that went the pool at Linderfarne Social in Valkyrie Road was used AND that was awful before Warrior Sq, which was mobbed when it opened for first few years. None were Lidos though.
A 50 meter tidal lido near Shoebury Ccmmon just to the east of the Coastguard lookout would make good use of an at present unusable seafront area.

Agreed, you wouldn't want it in the heart of the town where day trippers just abuse the place, you want it out of the way where the Cities folk know where it is.

Never had a problem with Lindisfarne although admittedly was rather a cramped facility. Warrior Square was a joke, the council didn’t want top flight facilities or a full 50m pool then employed a manager who ensure his own swimming club were allocated the prime time slots. Only lasted 40 years, a great waste but typical of how SBC do things.

Never tried Garons, is it any good?

Never had a problem with Lindisfarne although admittedly was rather a cramped facility. Warrior Square was a joke, the council didn’t want top flight facilities or a full 50m pool then employed a manager who ensure his own swimming club were allocated the prime time slots. Only lasted 40 years, a great waste but typical of how SBC do things.

Never tried Garons, is it any good?
No. And is run so poorly since covid. Booking slots etc

Always looks deserted in the car-park when I’ve been over that way for golf. Played tennis there on one occasion, the cost for one hour of court time was just a rip-off. Never again.

How much is it for a swim these days? It’s £5.85 off-peak for my local pool which doesn’t even have a deep end.

It’s days like this I miss living by the seaside and able to venture out on the mud for a swim.

Not played at Priory for many years, prior to moving to Rochford my nearest courts were at Chalkwell Park with the very occasional visit to Bonchurch Park.
Such a shame the council did away with all the public grass courts because of cost cutting. Best surface to play on by a mile in my opinion. I used to play at Whitehall near Fairfax Drive/Manchester Drive. Sometimes playing at Bonchurch.

Back