• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is our Hardcore Support

DTS

The Business
I mean the sort of die hards that will go everyweek.

My old man used to say it was 3500 even for the worst games. Now we seem to be pulling 6000 even for a crappy game. But how much of it will drop.

I reckon out LDV/ Cardiff jaunts have increased our core support by about 1000. Season Tickets are also at out highest level ever so im told.

I am saying its now 4500.

DtS

Good question Dave.

I reckon it has increased a little over the last two years- i, for one, know of about five people who now go to every home game and some aways since Tilly took over.

I'd say 4,000 approximately

It's increasing all the time, I reckon. Tuesday night games are often a good barometer of what our core support is like, for the game against Chesterfield - where we'd been on a losing streak and it was a cold night in December - still managed to attract 5,700 fans, so I reckon our core support is something between 4,500 and 5,000 at the mo.

When I first started we averaged a home attendance of 10515 for the season followed by 10476 the season after.

it then dropped until the promotion season where we averaged 10472 with over 17000 seeing the League game against Cambridge.
The drop then continued until 84-85 where we averaged 1969
It picked up and peaked at 6607 in 91-92 when our first season in Div 2 (currently the Championship)
dropping back to 3960 in 99-00

Hard core support ? as naps said Swansea away in the LDV ..., thats a bit extreme, I would say it is dificult to judge this season as we have not had a home LDV or a small club in the league cup , (the sort of game really hard core home fans go to) to gauge it on but in respect of league..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Dec. 21 2005,12:20)]Hard core support ? as naps said Swansea away in the LDV ..., thats a bit extreme,
It was an attempt at a joke, which somewhat fell flat

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 21 2005,12:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Dec. 21 2005,12:20)]Hard core support ? as naps said Swansea away in the LDV ..., thats a bit extreme,

sad.gif
Not as if you're not used to that Naps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Dec. 21 2005,12:30)]
[b said:

sad.gif
Actually Naps it was absolutely spot on. the 37 who went to Swansea were True hard core fans (or sad , unloved, unemployable no-mates )
smile.gif

When trolling through Robins database I was surpised that Alvins 2nd season , which nearly took us out of the league had an average gate of over 4,000

I think the 4,000 mark is about right, maybe slightly higher as we've attracted some new support in the last couple of years.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Dec. 21 2005,13:01)]Actually Naps it was absolutely spot on. the 37 who went to Swansea were True hard core fans (or sad , unloved, unemployable no-mates )  
smile.gif
What is a true hardcore fan though?

I mean, i wasn't one of the aforementioned 37 but i'd regard myself as just as hardcore as the next person. I don't think travelling more miles on a Tuesday night especially makes you more hardcore.

We always seem to bring up the hardcore true fan thang every once in a while. I think every case is a separate issue. The 37 who made that trip should be applauded for sure but is that any more impressive than someone who spends money they can't really afford on a home game. Or am I, as a season ticket holder, any more 'hardcore' than the bloke who works Saturdays and can only pick his games. I flew with the team to the Scarborough midweek cup game a while back. Had no sleep the night before as I was on a 12 hour night shift. Had to take one night off work so I could go to the match. Spent over 350 quid (credit card) on the wife and my flight, beer, food etc, and we all no how that game went! Hardcore? Stupid more like. But that is what fans do every now and then.

I think 4000ish is about right and Napsters tongue in cheek remark about the Swansea game could see this thread off on a tangent.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Dec. 21 2005,13:56)]I think 4000ish is about right and Napsters tongue in cheek remark about the Swansea game could see this thread off on a tangent.
sorry

sad.gif

I think 4,000 is about right as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Dec. 21 2005,12:56)]I think every case is a separate issue.
Agreed.

I don't think you can gauge it on attendances.
For instance, Javea Shrimper, and Overseas Shrimper to name two, are passionate shrimpers, but simply can't make it to the games. I'd say that doesn't make them any less of a Shrimper (unless they're-dipping in the Med
tounge.gif
), so they, in theory are just as hardcore as the man that never misses a game.

I can't make every game like I used to, and I miss the Tuesday night games where only 3000 went, but hey-ho.

I'l still try my damnest to promote SUFC wherever I go, and I like to think I'm a hardcore fan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Dec. 21 2005,14:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Dec. 21 2005,12:56)]I think every case is a separate issue.
Agreed.

I don't think you can gauge it on attendances.
For instance, Javea Shrimper, and Overseas Shrimper to name two, are passionate shrimpers, but simply can't make it to the games. I'd say that doesn't make them any less of a Shrimper (unless they're-dipping in the Med  
tounge.gif
), so they, in theory are just as hardcore as the man that never misses a game.

I can't make every game like I used to, and I miss the Tuesday night games where only 3000 went, but hey-ho.

I'l still try my damnest to promote SUFC wherever I go, and I like to think I'm a hardcore fan.
I think the original post regarded not how hardcore fans are individually, but the core support we would expect to be at a home game no matter how dire the situation, how cold the weather or how much Champions League there was on the TV.

I personally suspect these days that it would be around 4,000 but lest we forget that on a bank holiday weekend in August last season when we were in the middle of our brief early-season struggle, that we pulled in a gigantic 3900 for a home game with Cambridge, who brought about 500 fans themselves. This was after the first LDV final.

I've always maintained that we have one of the biggest chasms between lowest and highest potential attendances in the league. What other clubs could pull in under 3k at home to York on a freezing January, yet see a 12K sellout for a potential promotion decider against Yeovil.

Also the difference iss down to what is meant by support ?

I have several "categories"

Follower basically someone who follows the fortunes of a club, may buy some merchandise, avid TV watcher but rarely attends the actual game Misses loads of games by choice (or not being arsed) Also calls themselves Man U Fans

Supporter . Someone who supports the club, literally (as in I support my Wife and Kids etc) Goes whenever they can or can afford, argues the the clubs corner and promotes them at all opportunities

Fan (as in the true meaning ie abbreviation of Fanatic) Goes everywhere, at the expense of Family, home life , any form of sex life, overdraft limits etc. Basically lives, breathes and dies his team, to the total exclusion of everything else......

As for die hard supporters as referred to in this thread, I think the reference is to those who would attend RH this season regardless of our form , the weather etc. It doesn't question oor overseas supporters loyalties at all, they go when they can but for the sake of accuracy perhaps the thread should have been named Die Hard Attendees.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]or sad , unloved, unemployable no-mates

I may be sad but I am not one of the others
tounge.gif

A few of the 37 were from the Wyndham lot based locally!!  
biggrin.gif

Back in the dark days of the mid-late 80s we had regular crowds around the 2,500 mark or less. Under the circumstances even that was a miracle.

I think our core support has increased steadily over the last few years because even in the darkest days over the last few seasons we still had a decent enough average gate considering some of the dross we were playing and some of the players whose pockets we were all lining.

I have no sympathy for exiled supporters as most of them made their own conscious choice.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

We all know that it is those fans who went to the Carlisle game when we lost 1-0 and Danny Gay was in goal, because well...because I declare it. BOW DOWN TO ME!
laugh.gif
Now I may drain your sinuses to the MaX!

Back