• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What to do with Harry Lennon?

What to do with Lennon?

• Sack immediately

Votes: 59 31.4%
  • Discipline, he apologises, keep

Votes: 46 24.5%
  • Under 23’s- transfer list in jan

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.3%

• Total voters
Why would Charlton not give him a glowing reference? He was well thought of there within the club.

I'm not sure the Zone would be allowed to, there are such things as libel.

As it goes, I have had rumours that there is discord amongst the players and you can't blame Nile Ranger for it this time.

I seem to remember Charlton fans didn’t think so well of him. Average, injury prone, couldn’t pass, gave away cheap fouls.. though they agreed he had potential and the hope was CP could unlock it. Sadly, he’s just gone sideways/backwards here. If he was that good Charlton would’ve kept him. We seem to have a knack of signing injury prone players don’t we?

If he had scored the winner no one would have a problem. Its not because he is in a pub or with Dover players.

There is no proof he was even getting p***** and it was probably arranged before the game anyway.

So his crime is going out after we lost......Not in his home town or even in Dover. So his real crime is getting caught on a mobile phone.

5 points in the league position is far more embarrassing than going out of the FA cup or wearing a club track suite.

I have been in Churchills in Southend when Ronnie Whelan and most of the team turned up after getting beat about 4-0 somewhere. Words were exchanged with Ronnie as it was hardly the smartest thing to do.

So to me Lennon is guilty of a minor offence and no he shouldn't be sacked or condemned to the reserves. That would mean Kiernan would have to start and he would be joint top of my list to go, even before January 1st. Let him train the week before with his new club.

The other person would be Demetriou for a number of reasons but at £4000 per week that wont be happening. Then you can add Mantom the malingerer to the list. (I was warned by PB and its true.)

If Sol wants Lennon out in January thats absolutely fine with me but until then we just have to suffer him.......Remember I was the first to say how bad the Kiernan and Lennon partnership is. With some genuine injuries and certainly players making the best of injuries, Sol doesn't have a lot of options right now.

Rigsby, why do you say Sam Mantom is a malingerer? That seems very harsh. And how would PB know? Has he managed him? Recent managers like Chris Powell, Kevin Bond and Gary Waddock all seemed to speak very highly of his dedication and character. And Sol Campbell recently said that he was looking forward to welcoming Mantom back to the squad when he recovers from injury. Sure Mantom has only played well in flashes at Southend, but is that down to lack of effort or being played out of position or a massive loss of confidence? The fact that so many managers hold Mantom in high regard does not suggest he is a shirker or lacks application.

Rigsby, why do you say Sam Mantom is a malingerer? That seems very harsh. And how would PB know? Has he managed him? Recent managers like Chris Powell, Kevin Bond and Gary Waddock all seemed to speak very highly of his dedication and character. And Sol Campbell recently said that he was looking forward to welcoming Mantom back to the squad when he recovers from injury. Sure Mantom has only played well in flashes at Southend, but is that down to lack of effort or being played out of position or a massive loss of confidence? The fact that so many managers hold Mantom in high regard does not suggest he is a shirker or lacks application.

I would say that despite so many CMs probably, and tellingly, Mantom is the only one who you could consider being capable of playing box to box and allowing a two man midfield. He needs consistency but maybe Sol can get the best out of him. Yes he gives the ball away a lot- but so did Tims and Lenny, we forgave them that because they were all action 100% and did a job. Mantom need to look to do the same.

If he had scored the winner no one would have a problem. Its not because he is in a pub or with Dover players.

There is no proof he was even getting p***** and it was probably arranged before the game anyway.

So his crime is going out after we lost......Not in his home town or even in Dover. So his real crime is getting caught on a mobile phone.

5 points in the league position is far more embarrassing than going out of the FA cup or wearing a club track suite.

I have been in Churchills in Southend when Ronnie Whelan and most of the team turned up after getting beat about 4-0 somewhere. Words were exchanged with Ronnie as it was hardly the smartest thing to do.

So to me Lennon is guilty of a minor offence and no he shouldn't be sacked or condemned to the reserves. That would mean Kiernan would have to start and he would be joint top of my list to go, even before January 1st. Let him train the week before with his new club.

The other person would be Demetriou for a number of reasons but at £4000 per week that wont be happening. Then you can add Mantom the malingerer to the list. (I was warned by PB and its true.)

If Sol wants Lennon out in January thats absolutely fine with me but until then we just have to suffer him.......Remember I was the first to say how bad the Kiernan and Lennon partnership is. With some genuine injuries and certainly players making the best of injuries, Sol doesn't have a lot of options right now.

I get your point but I do think this is the only option, in the short term at least. You know our fans Rigsby and if he is put out on the pitch the atmosphere will be toxic and it's not going to help the team. Whilst I don't think what he did was terrible (certainly stupid though), I think our position means he has to be the sacrificial lamb.

Point of order old boy.

I called this in August when your mate Grapevine was pontificating that Kiernan and Lennon have always looked like the best pairing we had and I made the mistake of asking him why he rated Lennon.

You didn't catch on until October.

Rigsby all of this is correct- however he has made the situation far worse by failing to come out and issue a statement understanding how it looks, apologising profusely etc. That is what galls me- now he may be naive and stupid, probably his agent is naive and stupid too, but he has made a bad situation worse. Fair or not I suspect Sol will make a stand on this- he will be out the side for a period for sure and I suspect Sol will have a word with his agent to say quietly find him another club.

And to think some on here moan about John White..

I more or less said the same thing.

Surely the player needs to speak to Sol before any press releases of any statement issuing. Right know we have more important things to worry about and hopefully everyone is out on the grass and nonsense can wait until after lunch.

I more or less said the same thing.

Surely the player needs to speak to Sol before any press releases of any statement issuing. Right know we have more important things to worry about and hopefully everyone is out on the grass and nonsense can wait until after lunch.

I am assuming Lennon has Sol's phone number and would have phoned him the moment he realised what was happening. And I am also assuming a possibly interested agent would have been on the case and in damage limitation mode equally quickly. A quick even if short statement apologising would not have been beyond the capability of the club.

I suspect however my assumptions aren't valid, HL said nothing and his agent was somewhere fast asleep while the fire burned in the background. And so a drama becomes a crisis..

PB has managed people who have played in the same team as Mantom. So when he had the chance to sign him he spoke to one of Scunthorpes players.....After that he didn't bother. "Good player, if you can get him on the pitch" were his exact words to me.

A certain person who has a connection to Southend who doesn't rate Mantom also said "He only has to break a nail and he wont play"

If he had scored the winner they wouldn’t be celebrating! What sportsman in their right mind would want to celebrate or even be in the same room that just embarrassed you and your team mates hours earlier?
I don’t think anyone connected with Southend should want a player like that playing for us.

I am assuming Lennon has Sol's phone number and would have phoned him the moment he realised what was happening.

I would imagine that the club retains the services of a 'fixer' for situations just like this.

One phone call and they would have been dispatched to the pub in question with a non-SUFC tracksuit for Harry to slip into.

I would imagine that the club retains the services of a 'fixer' for situations just like this.

One phone call and they would have been dispatched to the pub in question with a non-SUFC tracksuit for Harry to slip into.
It could’ve been worse, he could’ve worn a Dover tracksuit. In all honestly I think the notorious tracksuit was what p*ssed me off. Just a very daft thing to do .. anyway, rant over!

It could’ve been worse, he could’ve worn a Dover tracksuit. In all honestly I think the notorious tracksuit was what p*ssed me off. Just a very daft thing to do .. anyway, rant over!

An anonymous two stripe Krypton Factor style tracksuit would have been the best choice.

I think he definitely needs a spell away from the first team. As soon as he steps on that pitch now he is going to be hounded upon (rightly or wrongly) by a fair section of the fanbase. It will be similar to the Nicky Bailey situation back in the Championship days, although for different reasons. It will make a toxic situation even worse if he plays any time soon...

I agree if we were not in this awful situation this would not be such an issue, but we are , and the players should understand that

You seem to be saying, going out in southend would have been an issue ( and I assume if you were there you would have exchanged words” but as it was prearranged and in Hornchurch it was ok?

And all the people saying it was pre arranged- doesn’t that make it worse? How thick are they, there are three possible results to a football match win/loose/draw. For two of those results ( arguably all three If it’s a draw you should have won) many fans would not want to see players of opposing teams together- especially with fans of the other team celebrating
I think he definitely needs a spell away from the first team. As soon as he steps on that pitch now he is going to be hounded upon (rightly or wrongly) by a fair section of the fanbase. It will be similar to the Nicky Bailey situation back in the Championship days, although for different reasons. It will make a toxic situation even worse if he plays any time soon...
i will settle for that.
Bailey missed one match, he was then the best player on the field For the next match and then we sold him at a profit

Make him peel + serve onions at the East Stand Tea Bar next game. Joking aside, we know Sol wants a huge clear out in Jan (or asap) so lets see what happens.

Make him stand in the centre circle, arm the faithful with wet sponges & rotten tomatoes.

Back