• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What to do

We have a team that currently has no goals in it.

I would set up to try and ensure that we don't concede first and foremost and would give up with Goodship and Aquah as a partnership up front.

Who would you have picked yesterday?

What to do is a good question - we've changed managers and players - I think never has it been this bad for this long.
This is what I was thinking earlier. I can’t remember a time supporting this club where it was such a prolonged spell of misery.

Who would you have picked yesterday?
Take your pick but only 1 of them and for me that would probably be Goodship as he does know where the goal is though Aquah does lead the line better but as a pair together? ......not for me.

Personally until Akinola is fit then I would sacrifice a front player with an extra body in midfield.

Take your pick but only 1 of them and for me that would probably be Goodship as he does know where the goal is though Aquah does lead the line better but as a pair together? ......not for me.

Personally until Akinola is fit then I would sacrifice a front player with an extra body in midfield.

Acquah has 2 goals in 5 starts; Goodship has 4 goals in 20 starts for us (and 5 goals in 30 starts and 22 sub appearances according to soccerbase, which I think includes everything from Conference South upwards). So does he actually know where the goal is better?

Anyway, the issue is that we need more goal threat from midfield. We've had one goal from a wide midfielder (Ralph and he's really a defender) and a penalty from Demetriou as the only goal from a central midfielder. Getting midfielders into goalscoring positions in the box will help create more chances for our forwards too. Good teams score goals throughout the team and don't rely on their forwards.

We needed more from Egbri, the now departed Green and their replacements Sterling and Nathaniel-George outwide and we need Demetriou and Taylor to offer more goal threat from central midfield. It's the type of thing that also comes with more confidence.

MM's hands are well and truly tied. I have never been more fearful of the future than I am at the moment.

I was of the opinion that if the embargo wasn't lifted before the transfer window, then it could be terminal. Somehow, we just have to scrape enough points until the end of the year, to give us a fighting chance of retaining our League status once MM has a free hand.

I have every confidence in the manager, he is trying to put right the mistakes Ron has made, particularly with the appointments of Bond and Campbell. There is no easy fix and I am not expecting anything from Salford and Tranmere, so things could look an awful lot worse by 5pm on Saturday.

We can all pick our best team, but I don't think any would differ greatly from the sides selected this year. Tomorrow, I doubt that JD will play, Lennon is on a wing and a pray with his injury. MM has done the best he can with bringing players in as we all know the War Chest is empty.

In any case transforming a squad takes time, with no guarantees of success. Ask Bolton. they bought in a number of new players early to try and beat the salary cap, you can't say that has been successful either.

I can only hope we can at least stay in touch with the teams above until Christmas.

Acquah has 2 goals in 5 starts; Goodship has 4 goals in 20 starts for us (and 5 goals in 30 starts and 22 sub appearances according to soccerbase, which I think includes everything from Conference South upwards). So does he actually know where the goal is better?

Anyway, the issue is that we need more goal threat from midfield. We've had one goal from a wide midfielder (Ralph and he's really a defender) and a penalty from Demetriou as the only goal from a central midfielder. Getting midfielders into goalscoring positions in the box will help create more chances for our forwards too. Good teams score goals throughout the team and don't rely on their forwards.

We needed more from Egbri, the now departed Green and their replacements Sterling and Nathaniel-George outwide and we need Demetriou and Taylor to offer more goal threat from central midfield. It's the type of thing that also comes with more confidence.
I wish it were that straight forward.
One of the two central mids needs to act as a holding mid to break up play and more defensive giving the other more freedom to go forward
The role Milligan played when everyone moaned he never went forward much.
Currently JDs role tho he gets forward a lot more than milligan .
I do think Ralph has it in him to score more
Can't see eggbri scoring but would love to be proved wrong

Last edited:
The first thing is to sign an experienced out of contract striker to take the pressure off Acquah. It will make a big difference.

This is what I was thinking earlier. I can’t remember a time supporting this club where it was such a prolonged spell of misery.

The 2019-20 season was our worst season ever, even if we had extrapolated to 46 games it would still be the worst. Our second worst was the 1921-22 season. With 27 points in 42 games (2 pts for a win). Worst 3 point season before is 1975-76, 37 points in 46 games.

We're on pace for 15 points this season so far. I expect we'll get a few wins here and there but we will likely fall short of the 37 points total.

Last season we conceded 85 goals and our worst is 90, a record that would have been broken in a full season. At the moment we're on pace to break that.

Last season we scored the second fewest amount of goals with 39 and also it was the lowest, known, full season top scorer tally with 7 for Kelman.

Fun times!

The 2019-20 season was our worst season ever, even if we had extrapolated to 46 games it would still be the worst. Our second worst was the 1921-22 season. With 27 points in 42 games (2 pts for a win). Worst 3 point season before is 1975-76, 37 points in 46 games.

We're on pace for 15 points this season so far. I expect we'll get a few wins here and there but we will likely fall short of the 37 points total.

Last season we conceded 85 goals and our worst is 90, a record that would have been broken in a full season. At the moment we're on pace to break that.

Last season we scored the second fewest amount of goals with 39 and also it was the lowest, known, full season top scorer tally with 7 for Kelman.

Fun times!
With stats like that I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Actually I think I do!

Fun times!
bloody hell. If we carry on like that I won't be able to bring myself to even try getting my daughter to follow us.

Fun times!

The 37 points was in the 2 points for a win era. So we will need even more.

we need to sign someone to play up top. looking at who's available on Transfrmakt the following seem like options:

• Jacob Blyth, over 6ft forward formerly of Macclesfield 28 years old
  • Chris O'Grady over 6 ft forward last at Bolton 34 years old
  • Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuilia Last at Coventry with a decent scoring record at L1 26 years old
  • Dominic Poleon tall forward last at Newport, 27 years old and came through our academy.
What I'd do next is speak to at least two of the above and try and get them signed up, the bottom two would be my first port of call.

Interestingly Sam Hart is still without a club, I'd have a discussion with him.

obviously all of the above depends on coming out of the embargo and Ron wanting to invest in our survival, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone come in soon though

we need to sign someone to play up top. looking at who's available on Transfrmakt the following seem like options:

• Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuilia Last at Coventry with a decent scoring record at L1 26 years old
  • Dominic Poleon tall forward last at Newport, 27 years old and came through our academy.
What I'd do next is speak to at least two of the above and try and get them signed up, the bottom two would be my first port of call.

obviously all of the above depends on coming out of the embargo and Ron wanting to invest in our survival, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone come in soon though

Have you ever seen Ponyeon?

He's pony.

Slim pickings indeed. The embargo has really cost us. Yes there are people still out of contract out there, but they are unattached for a reason.

Back