• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What would you do?

shrimper_sam

Manager
I got asked a good question yesturday and i wasn't sure of my awnser. So i will be more then intrested to see what you guys (and girls) would do.

If we had an offer of 3.75M for Eastwood, would you take it and buy more then a few decent players to help us in our bid to stay up?

Or would you say no and keep Eastwood?

unclesam.gif

Sell, unfortunately
sad.gif

If we're going to stay up we need new blood in and unless Ron's got a secret stash, this is the only way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper_sam @ Nov. 05 2006,12:18)]I got asked a good question yesturday and i wasn't sure of my awnser. So i will be more then intrested to see what you guys (and girls) would do.

If we had an offer of 3.75M for Eastwood, would you take it and buy more then a few decent players to help us in our bid to stay up?

Or would you say no and keep Eastwood?

unclesam.gif
With an offer like that we HAVE to sell,l provided the offer came early in the January window (if it came late on we'd be signing our own death warrant in terms of avoiding the drop).

this assumes, of course, that players of the quality we're after will want to join a team who are not only near/at the bottom of the table, but have just made a great statement about their ambition by selling their obvious best player. Surely one of the main attractions of coming to Southend at the minute (particuarly if you're, say, a creative goal-scoring central midfielder) is the opportunity to play in the same team as Freddy? I'm starting to incline towards hanging onto him for as long as humanly possible.

Good question - I remember when Shearer went to Newcastle, and as great a player as he was and despite the sensation at the time I thought would they have been better having several good players for key positions with all the money spent. Newcastle although getting close did not win anything....in fairness they may not have done as well. I think there's always the old saying 'one player does not make a team'. You can have a fantastic goalscorer but then what about a Keeper who also saves 2 or 3 certain goals each week.
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonesy @ Nov. 05 2006,12:40)]Good question - I remember when Shearer went to Newcastle, and as great a player as he was and despite the sensation at the time I thought would they have been better having several good players for key positions with all the money spent. Newcastle although getting close did not win anything....in fairness they may not have done as well. I think there's always the old saying 'one player does not make a team'. You can have a fantastic goalscorer but then what about a Keeper who also saves 2 or 3 certain goals each week.  
wow.gif
The hardest part at the moment is we're rock bottom of the league, so its going to make it even harder to attract players. Yes money helps but we need players who want to play for southend to better there careers not just pick up a pay check

I'm sure every player has a club he supports, I doubt very few support Southend. To them, it's a job to get paid. As long as they do it to the best of their capabilities who can ask for more?

sell for 4 million only if the money would be sent entirely on the team, and as someone pointed out it was at the start of the window. Everton so,d Rooney at the end of a window and had loads of money they couldnt spend.
Also we should be fair to Freddy, after watching him against Hull I was thinking if you stay here much longer you're throwing your career away.

no... its all well and good having cash but i dont think we can really attract players at the moment

I dont no if Tilly could get players to come here who are of a high standard, even with money.

Loans should be the answer.

If we wait until the summer and we get relegated I dread to think how far below his market value we'd end up having to sell for. Thats my primary concern.

Its clear that we need at least four quality signings in order to compete at this level. If Tilly thinks that he can get them in on wages that we can afford then I'm afraid that Freddy might have to be sacrificed in January.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Nov. 05 2006,15:31)]If we wait until the summer and we get relegated I dread to think how far below his market value we'd end up having to sell for. Thats my primary concern.

Its clear that we need at least four quality signings in order to compete at this level. If Tilly thinks that he can get them in on wages that we can afford then I'm afraid that Freddy might have to be sacrificed in January.
True, but if we sell him in January and then struggle to add to the squad (because we're looking quite unattractive having sold out star man) then relegation becomes a lot more likely.

Frankly, either way is a risk. it's a bugger being at the bottom of the table, huh? I'm constantly having to reassure myself with references to a few years back. The best one so far is 'at least we haven't just signed David Morley'.

Didn't uncle ron say that we would not sell for £5 million? Therefore would clubs be willing to pay that much for Freddy in the first place?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StainesShrimper @ Nov. 05 2006,21:21)]Didn't uncle ron say that we would not sell for £5 million?  Therefore would clubs be willing to pay that much for Freddy in the first place?
why do people call him uncle ron, it sounds a little nonsey? Maybe its just me not being able to trust chairman

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Nov. 05 2006,21:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (StainesShrimper @ Nov. 05 2006,21:21)]Didn't uncle ron say that we would not sell for £5 million?  Therefore would clubs be willing to pay that much for Freddy in the first place?
why do people call him uncle ron, it sounds a little nonsey? Maybe its just me not being able to trust chairman
Sell - it's a no brainer (unfortunately)

sad.gif

He has to stay - so no sell.

The only way we are going to get out of this mess is by winning games. The only we we are going to win games is to score goals. The only player who looks capable of getting the 15-20 goals this season that we need to have any hope of finishind 21st is Freddy.

Selling him for the proposed £3.75 million will not afford us to buy a) a decent replacement; b) good experienced defenders who can defend; and c) bolster our inadequate midfield.

No decent players will want to come to the team holding up the rest of the league anyway. Add to that those we have bought in this season are, by and large, not up to the required standard,and who are we to expect that anyone coming in with the money we get for Freddy will be a better standard.

Back