• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's with the beer and the scoreboard?

Cockle43

Manager⭐
(Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W.
Now, I know it was the first game of the season and all that, but......

I've seen comments on here that the Shrimpers Bar only had bottled beer, and that it was warm bottled beer at that. Same went for the West as well except that the more astute of you would have noticed that it was also pretty dated stock and not that far in date either. Several comments were made that at £3 for a bottle of warm only just in date beer they wouldn't be seeing much business in future, something I think the club needs to heed as with undoubtedly smaller gates this season they can't really afford to let the sundries sales drop. Even if it is the concessionaire losing out it still a pretty poor show. It does also bode the question as to whether the club is having problems finding a wholesaler to do business with on a credit basis at the moment for their draught beer supplies.

Also noticed that for the first time I can recall since it was installed the scoreboard wasn't used on Saturday, has it finally gone to meet its maker or are we just trying to save on the 50p's for the meter?? Mind you, from many people's opinions on here I don't think we're going to need a scoreboard to keep count of the goals this season....... having said that if we can score one and keep the oppo to nil then we won't go far wrong...........

At least the onions are back!!!!!

Things like the season cards, the beer in the Shrimpers Bar and various other problems are inevitable consequences of redundancies I'm afraid. We are one of the biggest clubs in the league, but we have had to slash jobs and cut costs, meaning customer service will inevitably suffer. I'm afraid that as supporters, this season we will have to be patient with more than just the first team.

No draught in the South-West bar but the bottles were cold enough.

Can't say I checked the date, but to be honest there's not many places you can buy a Magners for as 'little' as £3 nowadays.

Its pretty obvious that we either didnt or havent paid the bar tab for the suppliers and they have lost patience and no longer see the club as a good customer and are unwilling to continue offering credit. Its also worth noting that people had no cash on them and were trying to use the credit on the cashless cards from last season and couldnt and the staff were unsure wether people could get a refund.

The bar ran dry against the hammers. As for the scoreboard it should have been decommissioned ages ago , but im guessing the electricity bill has something to do with it.

Can anybody answer me why the bar in the west only opens at the half time whistle yet the bars elswhere in the ground are open prior to half time and after half time?

All in all i am very disillusioned at the way club is run and have not felt this far removed from it for some time if at all.

I was told that the Club are taking the bars back in-house again and will be fully stocked by the next home league game

£7+ for a pint of bottled beer and pint of lager shandy last week against West Ham was ridiculously expensive. I'll be glad if we take it inhouse, it'd mean a better choice of beers.

£3.50 seems run of the mill at most places these days unfortunately.

They were pouring it from 2l bottles of lemonade that cost about 40p each! It's all wrong isn't?

It's called economics. Southend isn't the only place where you'll pay ridiculous money for a soft drink/beer.

I agree with you, the price of soft drinks in bars anywhere is ridiculously inflated, without taking the **** like that.

Most profitable drink in most clubs/bars, apparently a pint of coke in a pub/club costs about 10p to pour, that was what I was told 5 years ago.

Most profitable drink in most clubs/bars, apparently a pint of coke in a pub/club costs about 10p to pour, that was what I was told 5 years ago.

Indeed, it's the same at cinemas. Apparently cinemas make a loss due to the price of the films. However they turn a profit due to food, and soft drinks especially, as apparently a £3.50 large coke actually costs 20p to pour.

Indeed, it's the same at cinemas. Apparently cinemas make a loss due to the price of the films. However they turn a profit due to food, and soft drinks especially, as apparently a £3.50 large coke actually costs 20p to pour.

This is true. As a student I worked in a Warner Village cinema in Staines and the manager on my first day told me that essentially cinemas are just sweet shops. They take a loss on the film to get you through the door.

This is true. As a student I worked in a Warner Village cinema in Staines and the manager on my first day told me that essentially cinemas are just sweet shops. They take a loss on the film to get you through the door.

Yep, Mrs Pubey worked at an Odeon while a student and was basically told the same.

You mean I'm getting charged obscene amounts of money (£8 fricking 90) and Cinema's are losing money?

You mean I'm getting charged obscene amounts of money (£8 fricking 90) and Cinema's are losing money?

Indeed. Another thing to bear in mind is that cinemas generally charge a uniform price for any film, so whether you watch Inception (hit) or Knight and Day (flop) you'll pay the same amount. Therefore they charge a lot to ride out the duds... as they're hard to predict and once scheduled they take up slots which could have been allocated to another film.

Back