• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
As per the title really. What do you usually get up to on the day of a home Saturday fixture?

My pattern is as follows:

Usually finish work at 2am on Saturday morning, pack and get ready to leave for airport at 4.30 am. Perhaps set up the official match thread on here nice and early.

Arrive in Stansted at 8am, eat breakfast in the same restaurant, and get the bus to Southend at 9am.

After reaching the b&b, always take a walk down by the seafront and look at all the old spots i used to go to as a kid when living over there.

At 1 ish, jersey on and scarf / Flag in hand, head up Victoria Avenue towards the Spread and Roots Hall, absolutely buzzing with anticipation like a kid at Christmas.

After the match, sneaky pint or two, then some chips down the seafront, then off to get bamboozled at Mayhem.

Early Sunday - get the bus back to Stansted, and on the plane to Shannon

Yours is a little more hectic than mine!

Wake up about 11 on Saturdays, collect wages, train to Southend, pay wages in.

Home. Get in car with family. Collect friend from around the corner who comes.

Get to ground about 2-2.30. Collect a programme which is never read until later that night on the bog.

Feast on a chicken and mushroom pie, Sprite/ hot choc dependent on weather.

Wait for the match to begin.

3.00 Buzzing.

3.14 Asleep.

3.45 Wake up for BlueBelles.

4.45 Leave stadium, get into car. Go home. Go out for the night.

10ish - Wake up.

11 - Tune in to Fighting Talk.

12 - News.

1210 - Watch Football Focus

1 - Get up. Turn on laptop. Get dressed.

1310 - Log on to laptop.

1315 - Get online. Surf net.

1430 - Log into SZ chat room. Turn on SSN or Score. Usually SSN.

1432 - Start thinking "hey, I'm hungry".

1440 - Make lunch.

1445 - Back in chat room. Watch as five different people ask for the lineups at the same time.

1447 - Watch as five different people post lineups at the same time.

1500 - Game kicks off.

1545 - Half time. More food and drink. Give hands rest from typing out other teams scores.

1600 - Back in chat room. Resume typing out other results.

1645 - Game ends.

1700 - Log out of chat room. Continue surfing the net. Moan about the lack of good TV and DVDs to watch.

Depending on rota....

Friday enjoy eve in with Mrs have some wine, up by 12 sort meself out by 1, meet leeblue for a pint before game.

Friday start work 23:00 (leave home 21:30) finish at 06:30 (home by 07:30) up by 12 meet leeblue for a quick pint before game.

Both scenarios don't include travel from Grays.

Away games involve gettin holiday from work.

11am: Wake up
noon: Get to Spread
1.45pm: Leave Spread to sell fanzine if can be arsed
3.02pm: Get to seat
5pm: Re-enter Spread
11pm: Leave Spread
11.05pm: Fall over

6.00-7.00am awoken by child
7.02am rise for a pee
7.05 change daiper
7.15 turn on setanta for premier league game
9.15 off to Tim Hortons with child,3 sausage and egg sandiwches, 2 fruit explosion muffins, 10 tim bits, chocolate chip muffin, Boston cream donut, 2large coffees.
9.45amTurn on computer
9.55 log into chat room
10.00 am into bluesworld and away we go
10.01 look at which games are on p2p and chose a couple to watch.So now i have 2 games to watch on computer, 1 on tv and 1 to listen to
11.45 3 points won am happy for the rest of the day, turn to drink early to celebrate. 3 points lost am cranky so turn to drink early to comiserate.
12.00 if it is snowing off to shovel the drive if not off to the shops.

God Ant that is dedication son. Living in Hullbridge is a lot easier (obviosuly this is when i am home.)

Wake up about 9am and flick on soccer am. watch all the way through while checking on here for news. About 12 leave Hullbridge and catch the bus to Rayleigh station. Hope on the train and get off at Prittlewell. Head straight to the spread for a few pre-match bevvies and get in the mood for the game ahead. Joined by either Lucus or a few others come 1.30ish. Head to the hall at about 2.30, to the east stand. After a comprehensive victory move on to the station calling mates as i go. Arrive back home around 6-6.30pm for a quick shower and food before the lads come over around 7pm to start the drinking. After that bit of a blur!

Right the Grant True Blue match day...

wake up at 7:00 am and turn music on playing things like Gene Pitney and Echo and the Bunny Men really loud

7:15 get on Shrimperzone message people on mobile to organise see who will be at the game

9:00 decide what to ware for football as I must ALWAYS dress nice or football

9:30 either tell mother "drop me off" or get to Hockley station and meet Graham 'bald eagle' Jolly

10:00 MUST BE THERE BY 10 AM MUST BE if not I get frustrated and ****ed off so at 10 am its straight into the regal cafe normaly to meet Mcnasty, Cricko, Beermonster etc...

10:05 Order full English must have large breakfast because I don't normally eat the rest of the day at football.

10:35 into the bookies for a little go on rainbow riches fruit machine and look at today's betting and seeing if I have the bottle to ply £200 on Southend win.

10:40 back into the cafe to hook up with Cricko then we normally take a walk down to the club shop to grace them with my presence.

10:55 outside spread waiting for opening or just walk round the back and invite myself in as per usual

11:00 start your engines few Lagers first

12:00 Smiffy normally shows his face by then and we go and play Noel Edmunds deal or no deal fruit machine in the spread where we proceed to rape him of all him monies!
though Smiffy is normally skint I give him my money to win money for me at a 10p in every pound commission basis on returns.

12:30 need something sweet, cue Malibu and Pineapple or Archers and Lemonade, proceed to take stick from Genial Harry Grout about what I am drinking.

13:30 Ground is calling so I side step and shimmy down to the ground

13:35 in the ground and starting a good convo with Dagenham kev in the bar.

14:55 get upstairs or kick off get some noise going

15:20 20 mins into the game I normally decide I am to drunk for this so head to the bar and have a few more beers

16:45 game is finished - back to the spread by this time if we have lost I am in a thuggish mood which ain't good, but if we have won its still party time

16:55 In the spread have a few decide whether there will be many blues staying for a session and weigh up the situation

18:00 always hang around till at least this time from here its either home time or I will be staying till closing.

And that's my day at home game :)

Friday night: Tell daughter we have to be leaving the house tomorrow at 12:30 for footie. Receive withering look in reply that I take to mean assent.

Sat 11:00: remind daughter that we have to leave at 12:30 for footie. Ask shouldn't she be getting ready. Receive withering look in reply that I take to mean assent.

Sat 12:00: enquire of daughter if she is going to be ready for 12:30 as she promised. Receive withering look in reply; strangely, I realise now that it doesn't mean assent.

Sat 12:30: enquire of daughter if she is ready as its 12:30 and she promised to be ready. Am informed that she only has to finish her hair. Walk away mildly satisfied that I didn't receive a withering look in reply.

Sat 13:00: daughter announces that she is ready to go.

Sat 13:01: I realise that I haven't made my coffee for the trip, haven't brought my shirt downstairs, haven't changed the cat litter (as I promised). Give withering look to daughter as she stands by the front door glaring at me.

Sat 13:15: Leave Suffolk for the 80mile trip to Roots Hall.

Traffic OK:
Sat 14:40: Park up; meet mates in Shrimpers; into East Yellows for match at 14:55.

Traffic not OK (i.e. most days):
Sat 14:57: Park-up taking last available space in car park; exit car as it rolls to a stop; quick march to East Yellows; up stairs to find 10 people blocking the way because they haven't figured out how to work the complicated "Row and Seat Number" system we employ; take seat and receive usual "Didn't think you were coming" comments.

Would give withering look in reply but can't seem to summon one up as I'm once again watching The Mighty Blues.

P.S. All going to be a bit different this season though as daughter will be in Canada; going to feel very strange.

Often have to spend the morning at Boots & Laces, so often park up around 1pm as no point heading back to Bas Vegas, but even so always in the Roots Hall neighbourhood by 1-30pm, these days I like to get there early.I have a ritual that sometimes drives my son mad, have to buy programme from shed by North Bank, go to club shop and buy anything I've not got ( sad I know) , off to the Fish House for half portions, got to watch those calories and smuggle food into the West Stand. Will often stop of at the kit shop behind the South Stand as the owner is very knowledgable on all football matters despite the team he supports. Then it's round to the West Stand for my slap up meal.By the time I have walked back to the car I have effectively circled Roots Hall.

In the ground early as we like to watch the keepers warm up so we can use some of their drills before my son's matches. I love seeing the ground fill up, and predicting whether the fickle fans will be up for it. Say hello to those around me as they come in, known many for years but still don't know their names.

Used to love it when Brian Wheeler says at 2-50pm ''this is Roots Hall Stadium,.............'' . I twitch throughout the game with obvious mood swings. No alcohol is to be consumed, and I like my son and me to dress identically, bit like Dr.Evil and Mini-me, again sad I know and much to his Mother's displeasure.

Thinking of changing ritual this season, Mother has told son too many calories in fish and chips, better stop spending in club shop, kit shop is going to be shut before matches, Brain Wheeler has gone.

9 am - Wake up
10 am - Football training
12.30 pm - Get home
12.35 pm - Get in Shower
12.40 pm - Get out shower
12.45 - 1.30 pm - ShrimperZone
1.35 pm - Leave House
2.00 pm(approx) - Get to RH
2.10 pm - Go to the fish house
2.30 pm - Leave the fish house
2.40 pm - Get into the ground
3.00 pm - Kick Off

Saturday morning:

08:00: Get up, eat breakfast, have shower, etc

09:00: Soccer AM

10:40: Worry about running late for piano lesson

10:58: Arrive just in time

11:00: Piano lesson

12:00: Finish piano lesson

12:03: Find car and drive home

12:08: Arrive home, drop car off and turn round again as I will be drinking

12:13ISH: Get on bus back into Southend

12:26ISH: Get off bus and head straight for Nelson Pub

12:30: Enter Nelson and find Sheila, Hannah and Steve, with all the kids

12:35: Order a drink, or if i'm feeling in a good mood...a round

12:45: Sit back down and ask everyone how day/week has been

12:46: Find out they have all been in since 11:00

13:00: Nick and Ash walk in

13:05 onwards: Drink plenty of beer whilst chatting

14:45: Leave Nelson and head for Roots Hall

14:50: Say goodbye to Hannah, Sheila, Steve and the kids

14:53: Enter Roots Hall and order some food to soak up alcohol

15:00: Cheer as players enter field

15:45: Wonder how much injury time there will be

16:45: Wonder how long left of match

17:05: Leave ground and possibly head for Shrimpers bar depending on what others are doing

Seems like quite a long winded day looking at it :(

9:00- Wake up and shower ect, watch Soccer AM until the soccerette has been on.
11:00- Leave
1:30- Arrive and park at the civic centre car park, go down the high street and have a pie and mash (Pash).
1:45- Having destroyed the Pash hike back up to Roots Hall.
2:15- Enter the home of football and all is good again.
3:00- Shout like a maniacal killer as the teams come out.
3:45- Go and see "Norm" Salmon, hear his views on the first half.
4:05- Shout like a maniacal killer as the teams come out, again.
4:50- Walk down Shakespear either moaning about or praising the teams performance, normally the statement "we are ****" comes into the conversation at one point.
5:00- Back at the civic centre, begin the journey home.
7:30- Arrive home, get a takeaway few drinks and watch match of the day and then football first.

6:00 Get up because I find it physically impossible to sleep any later.
6:05 Log onto SHRIMPERZONE to see if anything happened over night, and then browse.
9:30 Go to the driving range.
10:30 Get ready to leave, and drive to Southend.
12:00 Turn up on my Brother's doorstep to say hello and sometimes have lunch.
13:15 Leave Brother's to go to parents and have lunch, if I didn't have at by brother's. (Sometimes I have lunch at both, but don't tell them that!)
14:00 Leave with my dad for Roots Hall.
14:20 Park and walk to the ground.
14:30 Argue with the turnstile assistants because my season cards still doesn't work.
14:40 Get in the ground and count down the seconds until kick off.
17:00 Finally get back in the car, drive back to my parents.
17:30 Leave my parents and drive home.

Up... shower pub football pub shower out.

certainly the 'classic' routine is: fry-up, Spread, game, Spread, food, pub, Reflex. doesn't do you much good when you have footy on Sunday mornings though.

9:00 ~ Wake Up
9:30 ~ Watch T.V
10:00 ~ Have a shower and breakfast
10:30 ~ Log onto computer
12:10 ~ Log off and watch football focus
1:10 ~ Log back on and chat about the game
2:00 ~ Leave house
2:30 ~ Arrive in seat
3:00 ~ Game kicks off
3:45 ~ Half-time , normally have a mars bar, boo team for doing so badly
4:00 ~ Second half
4:45 ~ Stretch legs and go home

Although if i get accepted on my trial at Southend Manor, 10:00-12:00 would be replaced by training

It used to be:

10-10.30: Bus from Vange

11.30-11.45: Get to the Spread

2.30: Walk to Ground and be in seat by K.O

Now, it's going to be the same as SUFC Al's. But i'd have to leave pub about 10 mins before him and his brothers as i've only got little legs and can't keep up with them ;)

Back