• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rlb999

We want 4 stands!
As we sit top of the league, with a pretty good squad assembled without spending a penny, I thought i'd raise the "where's the money question". Mainly because it's not relevant. At our level of football, no one is spending money these days, and if you're team's doing badly and you want improvement, you really need a canny manager who can attract, organise, and motivate a decent crop of players. You don't need your chairman to start chucking hundreds of thousands of pounds on players (like we did towards the end of Tilson's reign) when there are better ones out there on frees (Hall, Mohsni, Dickinson, Phillips etc). As such when we are next in a pickle, can we not immediately demand that a load of cash gets splashed.

If we've received money from selling players, put it towards running costs, debt, whatever else will keep us afloat. A good manager doesn't need it for transfer fees. Admittedly I'd like some reassurance that our chairman has done this rather than it disappearing into the myriad of interlinked companies he seems to own, but that's another story.

Great post and I agree with the sentiment of it. The biggest problem at the end of Tilson's reign wasn't the hundreds of thousands we'd spent on players, it was what we didn't set aside to pay them their dues at the end of each month.

As you've said though, it's about balance and spending the right amount of money on the right things. Even despite our best run in just over 1,727 years, you've got to feel that the club is being run better these days. We're by no means out of the woods, but at least we SEEM to have learnt some lessons.

You don't need your chairman to start chucking hundreds of thousands of pounds on players (like we did towards the end of Tilson's reign)

Biggest load of rubbish i've read on here for ages.

We had a squad full of loanees that we weren't paying on time, we had to sell Barnard and RM brought in Paterson as part of the deal, apparently against Tilson's wishes.

Biggest load of rubbish i've read on here for ages.

We had a squad full of loanees that we weren't paying on time, we had to sell Barnard and RM brought in Paterson as part of the deal, apparently against Tilson's wishes.

we didn't have a team let alone a squad ..... and they were not paid .............but since then we have gone down to a wage capped division where palyers are cheaper and more of them capable at this level -

also at some point a jubilant chairman announced he had got FIVE MILLIONS POUNDS from Sainsburys

put that with the biggest gates in the division and we shouldd be walking it - thanks to Sturrock we are

we didn't have a team let alone a squad ..... and they were not paid .............but since then we have gone down to a wage capped division where palyers are cheaper and more of them capable at this level -

also at some point a jubilant chairman announced he had got FIVE MILLIONS POUNDS from Sainsburys

put that with the biggest gates in the division and we shouldd be walking it - thanks to Sturrock we are

Totally agree, Sturrock has done a great job so far.

I'm still perplexed by rlb999's claims that RM chucked hundreds of thousands of £££ at the squad near the end of Tilson's reign, what planet is he/she on ?

planet earth, although maybe 'towards the end' isn't the best choice of words.

Revell.
Paynter.
Foran.

My point is simply that you don't have to spend money to get decent players. They are out there. You just have to go and find them.

As we sit top of the league, with a pretty good squad assembled without spending a penny, I thought i'd raise the "where's the money question". Mainly because it's not relevant. At our level of football, no one is spending money these days, and if you're team's doing badly and you want improvement, you really need a canny manager who can attract, organise, and motivate a decent crop of players. You don't need your chairman to start chucking hundreds of thousands of pounds on players (like we did towards the end of Tilson's reign) when there are better ones out there on frees (Hall, Mohsni, Dickinson, Phillips etc). As such when we are next in a pickle, can we not immediately demand that a load of cash gets splashed.

If we've received money from selling players, put it towards running costs, debt, whatever else will keep us afloat. A good manager doesn't need it for transfer fees. Admittedly I'd like some reassurance that our chairman has done this rather than it disappearing into the myriad of interlinked companies he seems to own, but that's another story.

Good post and well made, hopefully the club has learned from its mistakes of the last few years.

Back