• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Where's Wally?

Harold Bishop Killer

Got bummed around Aus
Me and a mate were just talking about books when you were young at Infant and primary school. And I brought up the Where’s Wally books. Or Waldo as the Yanks call him. (It was changed to Waldo due to every time they asked a child where’s Wally they pointed at George Bush!) Used to keep me occupied for hours. (But then anything bright and shiny would do the same)

waldo.jpg

Just curious to when you were back in the early days of school what kept you occupied for hours? Books, games or tapestries and cave paintings for some on here?

Smioking behind the bike sheds was good enough for us.

Did they bother building bike-sheds for penny-farthings, then, Harry? Well you learn something everyday!

Towards the end of my school life I got a racing bike and used to spend a fair amount of time out on that. Have just this week picked up a Coventry Eagle second hand (it's cheaper than a motor bike to massage my mid-life crisis :) ) and was remeniscing about proper drop handle razor-sharp wheeled racing bikes, I think the top make then was Claud Butler. Sigh......

Did they bother building bike-sheds for penny-farthings, then, Harry? Well you learn something everyday!

Towards the end of my school life I got a racing bike and used to spend a fair amount of time out on that. Have just this week picked up a Coventry Eagle second hand (it's cheaper than a motor bike to massage my mid-life crisis :) ) and was remeniscing about proper drop handle razor-sharp wheeled racing bikes, I think the top make then was Claud Butler. Sigh......

Cheeky bugger, anyway that wasn't the type of bike it's what it cost.

I remember saving my pocket money, paper round money & any other spare cash and finally becoming the proud owner of a Claud Butler racing bike.

Cheeky bugger, anyway that wasn't the type of bike it's what it cost.

I remember saving my pocket money, paper round money & any other spare cash and finally becoming the proud owner of a Claud Butler racing bike.

ahh i purchased one of these a couple of years ago...

For me in my younger days it was Noddy.
Didn't think anything of it then noddy and big ears sleeping togetherl - oh niavity at a young age.

My kids have really liked the Where's Wally books, we have a whole collection of them and they still look at them every now and then.

I guess going right back to my earliest school memories, we had Janet and John books and I remember a reading scheme called ITA. I know we were taught phonics, which at long last most infant schools seem to have gone back to.

As for keeping occupied, when you're that young, then all you do outside of school is play. Remember my old school (Edwards Hall in Eastwood for those in the know) had a big grass bank on the playing field and we used to spend hours rolling down it.

Senior school would be a bit different - never was a smoker at school but going to an all girls school, do remember becoming a bit boy fixated and developing some quite devious traits! Feel sorry for my two, as there's not much they can get away with!

Junior School - playing outside, footy, cricket in the summer, general larking about with mates and buggering off for hours on my bike without my parents worrying about being abducted by paedo's. Lego when it rained.

Senior School - ZX81 / Spectrum / C64. Hello darkened bedroom and hours upon hour of staring at a tv screen.

Back