• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which Camera?

maninasuitcase

President
I am thinking of buying a proper camera. The last one I owned was a 1970s Olympus Trip.

For the last few years I have used the camera on my phone, currently a Sony Xperia Neo using the Camera 360 app which is about 3 1/2 years old now.

The budget is £250 including SD card, and I'd prefer a compact style, rather a Bridge type. I have two in mind, but any suggestions are welcome.

I just bought my wife a Nikon D3200 SLR for £279 without card. Supposed to be a decent starter SLR with lots of features.....

These two came out top of a certain review magazine (Which one? couldn't possibly say)

Nikon Coolpix S9700 £229 approx
Canon PowerShot N100 £215 approx.

Didn't bother with the DSLRs as the starting prices for the best ones were in 4 figures.

My personal choice is the Panasonic range of compacts. There are loads so you would need to try them out.

I use a Leica D lux, and its probably the best camera I have ever had but was expensive to buy.
Leica do have a partnership Panasonic and would think that you would find one in your price range.
Try looking out for a Lumix DMC.

These two came out top of a certain review magazine (Which one? couldn't possibly say)

Nikon Coolpix S9700 £229 approx
Canon PowerShot N100 £215 approx.

Didn't bother with the DSLRs as the starting prices for the best ones were in 4 figures.

My personal choice is the Panasonic range of compacts. There are loads so you would need to try them out.

Well yeah, the best DSLR would be, they are professional, there are good affordable ones though, but not for the £200-250 price range.

Ive been using a Nikon D200 for about 8 years and that cost me under £500.

Well yeah, the best DSLR would be, they are professional, there are good affordable ones though, but not for the £200-250 price range.

You would probably find a really decent bridge camera for around the 500 mark.

Think its less to do with the cost of each option and what the person wants to use it for.

For holidays I generally take the compact I have unless there is a specific reason to take a dslr, ie scenerey etc.

I dont think anyone should write of a dslr just because of cost, there are good level entry models, but they are also not ideal for carrying around sometimes.

You would probably find a really decent bridge camera for around the 500 mark.

Yeah, but the man did say he had a budget of £250

I am thinking of buying a proper camera. The last one I owned was a 1970s Olympus Trip.

For the last few years I have used the camera on my phone, currently a Sony Xperia Neo using the Camera 360 app which is about 3 1/2 years old now.

The budget is £250 including SD card, and I'd prefer a compact style, rather a Bridge type. I have two in mind, but any suggestions are welcome.

whatever you get don't discount getting as second hand camera on eBay/gumtree. My son bought a Nikon D3100 second hand and has had it for 18 months. He has upgraded now and he will pro loose £20 max. He then bought at Nikon D5200 'second hand' which when we sent to see it was actually brand new , never been out of the box (but obviously no warranty). He would actually make a profit if he was to sell it.

One thing I would say is when reading the reviews think about what you are actually going to use it for . My son does lots of video work in poor light conditions - so for him that was far more important than any other feature and meant that this camera was better 'for him' than some more expensive 'better' cameras

edit
you can get a new D3100 with lens for £220 delivered with warranty , or £160 ish second hand (one sold as I was writing this for £160+£) 0 postage

Last edited:
Yeah, but the man did say he had a budget of £250

Indeed and the compact is the probably the better bet for his needs, but my entry level Nikon D40 didnt cost much more than that and takes better pictures than a compact.

You dont have to pay 4 figures for a dlsr, £299 will get you an entry level.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-d3200-black-digital-slr-with-18-55mm-vr-ii-lens/p1548789

Point I was making is if cost is the decider then dont write off the dslr, they will give you better photos than a compact, its just whether they are convenient enough or not and it sounds like maninasuitcase does want the convenience rather than the quality.

Indeed and the compact is the probably the better bet for his needs, but my entry level Nikon D40 didnt cost much more than that and takes better pictures than a compact.

You dont have to pay 4 figures for a dlsr, £299 will get you an entry level.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-nikon-d3200-black-digital-slr-with-18-55mm-vr-ii-lens/p1548789

Point I was making is if cost is the decider then dont write off the dslr, they will give you better photos than a compact, its just whether they are convenient enough or not and it sounds like maninasuitcase does want the convenience rather than the quality.

Scary, but I agree with you on the better photos. I use a Cannon DSLR 1000D and a couple of pokey lens for those moments when only an SLR will do. The thing I have against them is a camera bag that goes with them full of all those things that you hardly ever use. Whereas my Pana lumix can nestle in my side pocket ready for any emergency.

forgot to say, the gadget show did a review a few weeks ago of compact camera at this price point , it wasn't great but might be worth watching on catch up

Thank you for all your posts, this is the one I am leaning towards, a Panasonic Lumix DMC:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...umix DMC-TZ60 Camera in Black-90185/Show.html

We have three different Panasonic cameras, something similar to what you are looking at, a bridge camera and a video camera, and my father in law has bought one . As you can tell I like the way they are built and how they work. The y are all 4-6 years old though so what you are looking at will be much better.

Back